Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying deposit in cash?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok, so I'm moving into a room in D15 tomorrow. One of the tenants showed me the room and explained to me that the landlord rarely visits and most things goes through him instead of the landlord. Now, I'm supposed to pay the deposit and first months rent to him. Is this something common when renting flats or do you find this a bit shady? The tenant doesn't seem like someone who would be ripping people off.

If it makes any difference I will be paying the deposit and rent when I get there and recieve the keys. The only thing that worries me is that I've read about people fooling others into thinking they can stay in a flat and then just dissapear.

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Ok, so I'm moving into a room in D15 tomorrow. One of the tenants showed me the room and explained to me that the landlord rarely visits and most things goes through him instead of the landlord. Now, I'm supposed to pay the deposit and first months rent to him. Is this something common when renting flats or do you find this a bit shady? The tenant doesn't seem like someone who would be ripping people off.

If it makes any difference I will be paying the deposit and rent when I get there and recieve the keys. The only thing that worries me is that I've read about people fooling others into thinking they can stay in a flat and then just dissapear.

Thanks,
    Tom

Steer well clear. You'll be responsible for getting the next tenant in when you decide to leave (i.e. do the landlord's dirty work). Only then will you get your money back, if at all. For all you know, the landlord may have no knowledge of this arrangement. I'd only ever give a deposit using a cheque made out to the person registered with the PRTB.

Call the landlord and air your grievances.

Advertisement