Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of The Munster Express

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I wonder what role he had in the film. Maybe someone can ask him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I found the DVD the Christian brothers made about him when he was living in the barn, truly heartbreaking stuff,ill put it on YouTube tomorrow for anybody that hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Funfair wrote: »
    Think that's him on the left with the white coat (under the bridge pillars) at 0.35 on the video :D

Nah, he was seated next to Howdoo in scene 1.54 and walking next to Elvis in 3.07

Ok here is the DVD of Tawdy,i would of uploaded it earlier but i had to rip the DVD first then i split it into 6 10minute videos,and then i converted each of them to HD which meant each file was about 600mb so everyone of them took nearly an hour to upload to YouTube,but anyway its up now.

Right so I don't know if many people have seen this,it was made around Christmas 2007 by one of the Christian brothers in the Friary on Lady Lane.Every time i have watched it im still shocked to think that in this country in this day and age that a man had to live in a barn for 3 years.You will get a few laughs in this thanks to Tawdy,there is an innocence to the man with gentle humour.But there is other parts that will tug at your heart strings,all in all Tawdy is a true Waterford man.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

thank you for sharing RC. Very hard to watch in places:(

Really enjoying this thread about some local characters. I got to know them all when living with a few mates in manor street about 10 years ago. anyone remember Maria.....red hair.....dont tell me off but she reminded me of the crazy cat lady in the simpsons? What became of her?

• Advertisement

Aruba08 wrote: »

Really enjoying this thread about some local characters. I got to know them all when living with a few mates in manor street about 10 years ago. anyone remember Maria.....red hair.....dont tell me off but she reminded me of the crazy cat lady in the simpsons? What became of her?

I dont remember Maria,was she a lady of the night?,i might know her then ;)

I dont remember Maria,was she a lady of the night?,i might know her then ;)
    haha i dont know but she was referred to as mad maria. Im sure someone must remember her

haha i dont know but she was referred to as mad maria. Im sure someone must remember her

Mad Peggy id say your thinking of,did she always cycle a bike?

Mad Peggy id say your thinking of,did she always cycle a bike?
    god no, shes was always around town and railway square twisted. maybe i imagined her, ha!

Just asked yer man that married me there and he remembers her too. hmmmmmmmmm...:confused:

god no, shes was always around town and railway square twisted. maybe i imagined her, ha!

Just asked yer man that married me there and he remembers her too. hmmmmmmmmm...:confused:

Are you sure you weren't looking in a mirror? ha ha only joking :)

I dont remember her,but im sure someone on here does.

• Advertisement

Are you sure you weren't looking in a mirror? ha ha only joking :)

I dont remember her,but im sure someone on her does.
    hahaha:D slight resemblance first thing in the morning but no....she was a real person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Just asked yer man that married me there
    thats some way to refer to your husband lol

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I remember her, she crossed my mind too while reading this thread funnily enough. She used to hang around Railway Square and Red Square. She used to sit on the bench a lot in City Square outside hallmark jewelers as well. I would have put her somewhere between mid to late 30's and early forties at the time. One of the last times I saw her she was shouting abuse at a father (who had his kids with him at the time) saying he was after stealing her children. I think she might have had children herself and they were taken off her and thats what drove her mad. Her name was Maria BTW.

I think she might have had children herself and they were taken off her and thats what drove her mad.
    isnt that sad?:( Wonder where shes at now. she always seemed so bothered
    thats some way to refer to your husband lol
    sorry I meant dearest hubbytongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

isnt that sad?:( Wonder where shes at now. she always seemed so bothered

It's terrible when you hear people's backgrounds and then they end up on the streets. Its definitely ten years since I last saw her. I have no idea what became of her after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Used that Maria one be sniffing glue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Indian looking lad called Davey?

Is that the fella that shouts out "Ali Akbar Rafsanjani" at random times?

Is that the fella that shouts out "Ali Akbar Rafsanjani" at random times?

Ha ha I don't think so boy,probably is though because he always talks to himself and walks everywhere with a small radio.

A better picture of Tawdy on the front page :)

Tawdy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Even though I'm not from the city I know all these people.
    Howdo...aka Michael Thomas O Shea. Friendly fella shouts "how-do" or sometimes "do-how"! Also says "my good and honourable lady"

Tawdy-Tawdy Morrissey. Can be ok at times ! Seen on Trmore rd in high viz jacket

My Town...aka Skin...aka Peter Sinnott. Shouts "its my fu**in town". But knows when to hold his tongue when in shops etc

Mad Maria...Frizzy red hair....not seen in years

Davy....(Singh???) Mixed race. Bit scary sometimes. His sister would also be a well known figure around town

3 dog Keating.....the name says it all ! Seen sitting on windowsill of Abrakebabra on Saturday night

Monica....not seen in years. Presumed dead. Lady of the night ! Long black hair and dressed in black

Shammy....Seamus Kavanagh. Nice man....to people who treated him with respect. Carried a stick. Used to have a dog years ago. Spoke about Mount Sion matches. Great sense of humour. Died about 3 years ago

Peter....used to carry kettle.Lived in Ferrybank. The story goes that his family died in a fire and he never got over it. Died a few years ago

There are quite a few other characters about town. Such as the woman who walks around town in the middle of the night picking up rubbish....sometimes going through the bins....checks public telephones for change....wears purple/wine colours?

• Advertisement

Howdo...aka Michael Thomas O Shea. Friendly fella shouts "how-do" or sometimes "do-how"! Also says "my good and honourable lady"

Tawdy-Tawdy Morrissey. Can be ok at times ! Seen on Trmore rd in high viz jacket

My Town...aka Skin...aka Peter Sinnott. Shouts "its my fu**in town". But knows when to hold his tongue when in shops etc

Davy....(Singh???) Mixed race. Bit scary sometimes. His sister would also be a well known figure around town

3 dog Keating.....the name says it all ! Seen sitting on windowsill of Abrakebabra on Saturday night

Monica....not seen in years. Presumed dead. Lady of the night ! Long black hair and dressed in black

Shammy....Seamus Kavanagh. Nice man....to people who treated him with respect. Carried a stick. Used to have a dog years ago. Spoke about Mount Sion matches. Great sense of humour. Died about 3 years ago

Peter....used to carry kettle.Lived in Ferrybank. The story goes that his family died in a fire and he never got over it. Died a few years ago

There are quite a few other characters about town. Such as the woman who walks around town in the middle of the night picking up rubbish....sometimes going through the bins....checks public telephones for change....wears purple/wine colours?

So do you work for the News & Star or the Munster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I'm from Dungarvan and came across this by accident really.
    I always remember Tawdy sitting on an old deck chair outside the pub suppin a can or two, the poor divil must have skin like leather because he sits there in all weather !! Never knew he was a local celeb tho. Fair play to him all the same and nice of those people to put a roof over his head

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Don't work for either paper :) Its mad how much u get to know about people just by seeing them around. And to be honest I really don't know that many people !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

she wears a purple outfit and drives a polo , she is always in ballytruckle picking up bags of plastic bottles and cans , she wears the same clothes every single day , id say there is some smell off her , ive never got close enough to find out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Yeah Monica. she a blast from the past!! A skirt nearly up to her waist and thighs like tree trunks, many a time she was seen leaning into a car window, whatever became of her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

STIG83 wrote: »
    Yeah Monica. she a blast from the past!! A skirt nearly up to her waist and thighs like tree trunks, many a time she was seen leaning into a car window, whatever became of her?
    I'd heard she was badly beaten by a customer and sort of retired. I've nothing to verify the authenticity of this though.

old gregg wrote: »
    I'd heard she was badly beaten by a customer and sort of retired. I've nothing to verify the authenticity of this though.

Im living out by Kilmac and a few times she was spotted on the N25 thumbing for a lift, that was definitely around 10 years ago or more.
    More than likely she was going to come across a violent customer.

There seems to be a few different stories to what happened her,like one is that she retired,and a more common one that she was "taken care" of by other people in her trade.I'd like to know myself i haven't seen her in years and she was a good auld sort ;)

There seems to be a few different stories to what happened her,like one is that she retired,and a more common one that she was "taken care" of by other people in her trade.I'd like to know myself i haven't seen her in years and she was a good auld sort ;)

Hopefully nothing bad became of her, someting tell me she was English? or am i completley wrong?

• Advertisement

Hopefully nothing bad became of her, someting tell me she was English? or am i completley wrong?

Same here i hope she is doing well where ever she is in the world,she had a funny accent alright she could of been English,she didnt really speak when i was with her because her mouth was always full :D

Advertisement