Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page of The Munster Express

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Same here i hope she is doing well where ever she is in the world,she had a funny accent alright she could of been English,she didnt really speak when i was with her because her mouth was always full :D
    why were you buying her chips? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I remember her, she crossed my mind too while reading this thread funnily enough. She used to hang around Railway Square and Red Square. She used to sit on the bench a lot in City Square outside hallmark jewelers as well. I would have put her somewhere between mid to late 30's and early forties at the time. One of the last times I saw her she was shouting abuse at a father (who had his kids with him at the time) saying he was after stealing her children. I think she might have had children herself and they were taken off her and thats what drove her mad. Her name was Maria BTW.

Interesting that you should say that, my friend was in Abrekebabra, when it used to be where the headshop used to be, opposite Wacky Shoes, this was about 10 years ago and he said she came in and told people in there that her son had died that day. So there probably is something to do with her children alright.

We were in Supermacs about 10 years ago too when she sat down near us and started talking, 4/5 of us 14 year old lads, seemed normal enough at first, then kept talking and got upset and completely broke down in front of us, she didn't seem crazy at first but I got the impression she was just mentally tortured and deeply upset rather than clinically insane, if you know what I mean.
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Used that Maria one be sniffing glue?

Funny you should mention that, I was going to ask does anyone remember "Silver Lips" as we used to call her around the Hillview area. From what I remember she had some kind of facial deformity or scar or something wrong with her lips and she used to sniff glue. This was when I was about 8/9 so about 1995. The story we heard at that age was that she had a baby with Shammy, more than likely playground fiction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ when I was in college I had a law lecturer that had I assume met her in court or done kind of professional capacity and he told us that Monica was actually a very inteligent woman. Knew all the laws that effected her and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that, I was going to ask does anyone remember "Silver Lips" as we used to call her around the Hillview area. From what I remember she had some kind of facial deformity or scar or something wrong with her lips and she used to sniff glue. This was when I was about 8/9 so about 1995. The story we heard at that age was that she had a baby with Shammy, more than likely playground fiction :D

Ah yeah I do remember her and I'd say that's who I was thinking of. I'm from Hillview myself. She was a bit weird looking alright.

Speaking of playground fiction, she used to be down around De La Salle in Stephen's Street a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Same here i hope she is doing well where ever she is in the world,she had a funny accent alright she could of been English,she didnt really speak when i was with her because her mouth was always full :D

Ah so that's how you know so much about her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

I remember seeing Monica buying statues and religious stuff and a teddy bear in a charity shop once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I remember seeing Monica buying statues and religious stuff and a teddy bear in a charity shop once...

Yeah, I think she was a bit touched.

Or maybe it was that the was touched a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 browners

Hi, I was the photographer that took the Tawdy Morrissey photos for the Munster Express...he's a great character alright and has some marvellous tales to tell...I will definately visit him again and get a bit of video footage. One of nature's gentlemen....photos attached from the shoot...it was done for and advert as the people in Steineberg Firplaces look after him and have done for years...fair play to them...the girl in the shot is Mary Power from the shop and the dog is called "Manny" after the boxing champ...hope you like them.

Noel Browne

www.noelbrownephotographer.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Davy....(Singh???) Mixed race. Bit scary sometimes. His sister would also be a well known figure around town

There are quite a few other characters about town. Such as the woman who walks around town in the middle of the night picking up rubbish....sometimes going through the bins....checks public telephones for change....wears purple/wine colours?

Yeah, Davy is deffo the guy that shouts "Ali Akbar Rafsanjani", I always thought he might be palestinian or something. More often that not to be seen with a six pack of dutch gold in hand.

theres been some characters in this town, was it Martin that used to run around with a hurley and sliotar everywhere? I vividly remember one time I seen him run full pelt up the broad street shopping centre escalator dodgy around shoppers.

Then there was Joey de Blanc, Eddie Batt who are both gone a few years iirc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yeah, Davy is deffo the guy that shouts "Ali Akbar Rafsanjani", I always thought he might be palestinian or something. More often that not to be seen with a six pack of dutch gold in hand.

theres been some characters in this town, was it Martin that used to run around with a hurley and sliotar everywhere? I vividly remember one time I seen him run full pelt up the broad street shopping centre escalator dodgy around shoppers.

Then there was Joey de Blanc, Eddie Batt who are both gone a few years iirc?

Yeah i remember Eddie Batt,it was bad luck if you didnt say hello to him :),he died about 3 years ago,i cant say i heard of Joey De Blanc though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Yeah i remember Eddie Batt,it was bad luck if you didnt say hello to him :),he died about 3 years ago,i cant say i heard of Joey De Blanc though.

Joey de Blanc was from Doyle street iirc, you'd see him walking around the ballybricken and barrack st areas, this would have been in the 80's/early 90's. He had a shock of bright red hair in a kind of afro so you couldn't miss him if you saw him. Kids would shout out "JOEY" when they'd see him and run which was probably a bit cruel as he seemed a harmless sort but kids will be kids I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Yeah, Davy is deffo the guy that shouts "Ali Akbar Rafsanjani", I always thought he might be palestinian or something.

Ali Akbar Rafsanjani is an Iranian politician who was particularly prominent on the news in the 1980s (http://www.iranchamber.com/history/arafsanjani/akbar_rafsanjani.php)

The Iranian politicians have a great sense of humour. They were annoyed with Maggie Thatcher about something, so to retaliate the renamed the street the British Embassy is on from Winston Churchill St to Bobby Sands Street. Remember this was the 1980s so you can imagine some British Foreign office having to put 'British Embassy, Bobby Sands St, Tehran' on their letterhead. Unfortunately the British decided to use the name of a nearby street as their address on their letterheads, even though strictly they aren't correct to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

dayshah wrote: »
    Ali Akbar Rafsanjani is an Iranian politician who was particularly prominent on the news in the 1980s (http://www.iranchamber.com/history/arafsanjani/akbar_rafsanjani.php)

The Iranian politicians have a great sense of humour. They were annoyed with Maggie Thatcher about something, so to retaliate the renamed the street the British Embassy is on from Winston Churchill St to Bobby Sands Street. Remember this was the 1980s so you can imagine some British Foreign office having to put 'British Embassy, Bobby Sands St, Tehran' on their letterhead. Unfortunately the British decided to use the name of a nearby street as their address on their letterheads, even though strictly they aren't correct to do so.

Ha ha fairplay Dayshah,but i doubt thats what Davey is shouting about,i see him most days so ill say it to him the next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Even though I'm not from the city I know all these people.
    Howdo...aka Michael Thomas O Shea. Friendly fella shouts "how-do" or sometimes "do-how"! Also says "my good and honourable lady"

Tawdy-Tawdy Morrissey. Can be ok at times ! Seen on Trmore rd in high viz jacket

My Town...aka Skin...aka Peter Sinnott. Shouts "its my fu**in town". But knows when to hold his tongue when in shops etc

Mad Maria...Frizzy red hair....not seen in years

Davy....(Singh???) Mixed race. Bit scary sometimes. His sister would also be a well known figure around town

3 dog Keating.....the name says it all ! Seen sitting on windowsill of Abrakebabra on Saturday night

Monica....not seen in years. Presumed dead. Lady of the night ! Long black hair and dressed in black

Shammy....Seamus Kavanagh. Nice man....to people who treated him with respect. Carried a stick. Used to have a dog years ago. Spoke about Mount Sion matches. Great sense of humour. Died about 3 years ago

Peter....used to carry kettle.Lived in Ferrybank. The story goes that his family died in a fire and he never got over it. Died a few years ago

There are quite a few other characters about town. Such as the woman who walks around town in the middle of the night picking up rubbish....sometimes going through the bins....checks public telephones for change....wears purple/wine colours?

Anyone remember Miller and Cashin?

And poor Martin Hunt RIP from Trinity Square. Hated American tourists, and would give them an awful time if he came across one in town. He always had a hurley and sliotar with him, and the bandage on his head with a ketchup stain to make it look like blood! He stood at the top of Patrick Street one day and hit the sliotar straight full force straight down the hill, didn't care who he hit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SeanDoe

Nolanger wrote: »
    That's him. Was supposed to come from a wealthy Waterford family?
    Ye,fruit & veg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Anyone remember Miller and Cashin?

A neighbour of mine used to take them in every Christmas Day for their dinner. She wasn't a relation or anything like that just someone who wanted to do a good turn for two people who were having a tough time. They even turned up for her funeral and used to visit her husband every year until they passed away themselves.

They used to play handball with us while we were children on Emmet Place, I think it was Tom Miller and Harry Cashin but could be mistaken about the first names seems it was ~15 years ago. Absolutely harmless people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Met Peter 2 days ago and he started shouting 'It's my town' at me, he saw i started laughing so i said ' It is your town!', he started then shouting 'Too f*cking right it is'.
    Town drunks are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Anyone remember Davie Murry? Waterford.. he was a nice man too, may he rest in peace.
    Loved the drink & lived on the streets with sham, miller and cash and a few others!
    It's sad that they choose to disconnect themselfs from the real world because of drink.
    But doesn't every drug addict in their own way, they can't help it, or whatever reasons they have.

I allways thought it was cool they could be just sitting there and i'd allways say well to Davie
    and no matter how drunk he was he'd ask how my family were, he was highly intelligent as well.
    They'd often pass down our street singing and shoutng, my mom wouldn't even say anything if they plucked a rose from her garden :)
    It's strange because i lived with an alcoholic most of my youth, it's not plesent by any means, yet we never spoke that much.

The how-do man vid reminds me of brother finbar who was in saint declan's!
    Back when they still got away with corporal punishment ;)

LOL "it's my town" i forget who that is, little small guy maybe in fisherman's jumper hmm..

I use to go out in cork a lot, the street folk down in cork were pritty scary,
    it reminded me of some sort of freaky circus act, maybe coz i was twisted too.
    They'd be siting in the windows watching you eat your burger n chip.

How do people get soo messed up.

If you mean that tiny girl with the long wild foxy hair, i seen her only last week in town somewhere Maria.
    That monica one disapeared a long time ago.

I remember martin too :) big into his hurling,
    he would come into the kitchen in kylemore cafe and give oranges to the girls.

wow what a blast from the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

On me mobile so copy paste is an effort. Last post mentioned Maria. Foxy one bla bla bla we all know her. I done a course years ago and she was in the same class as me. She is actually a really nice woman. Not well obviously and I didn't help it buy going to the course a few times with a bottle of rum. She got me in some trouble haha.that's going back about 7 years. Dunno what she at now

EMar Sounds

There's another girl in town i dunno much about the girl,
    Think her father was tom murphy car sales, she has long straight red hair tho.
    Strange you said you did a cource and she was in ur class, that mary one was
    in my class in the tech, i started out as a chef back in "92, she's still around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 olive r

Aruba08 wrote: »
    god no, shes was always around town and railway square twisted. maybe i imagined her, ha!

Just asked yer man that married me there and he remembers her too. hmmmmmmmmm...:confused:

hey there mad maria is still around you wouldnt know her now if u seen her really after cleaning up her act :)

jo06555 wrote: »
    Not davy no , he is tall lad in his late 30s id say was in court while back ye allways see him with a can one arm in his jacket other arm swinging , not sonny know him too

]

No not him either :D is muckel dead ye cause its name like that...

muckel died year or 2 ago from a drug overdose he was a lovely person grown up and came from a well respected family just got mixed up with the wrong crowd as he got older :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Mad Peggy still on her bike. Is it true that she planted an oak tree in the middle of her living room?

Can anyone confirm whether Joey De Blonc is dead or alive, thanks

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Mad Peggy still on her bike. Is it true that she planted an oak tree in the middle of her living room?

Peggy still around on her bike she has an invisible dog in her bag called christy that she talks to now and again. never heard of the oak tree story sorry. as for joey the blonc dont think if ever seen him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

What was the name of the small chap that wore a beret or whatever ya call it. Think he got knocked down a few years ago or something.

EMar Sounds

Decorcey? small fella with fisherman's jumper, allways shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Joey is still around - I saw him only the other day walking down the Folly hill - Think he's living around the Ballytruckle / Lower Grange area

Dosent he post on here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

jimbojazz wrote: »
    [/B]

Joey is still around - I saw him only the other day walking down the Folly hill - Think he's living around the Ballytruckle / Lower Grange area

Dosent he post on here:D

Joey Le Blanc does not post on here.
    May I ask that all those who do post comments on this site be respectful as comments made in the past (on other sites ) have caused offence to Joey's family and relations.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

seanybiker wrote: »
    What was the name of the small chap that wore a beret or whatever ya call it. Think he got knocked down a few years ago or something.

Michael Bowsden or Bowser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Whatever happened to the old man who used to wander around Ferrybank with a tea pot? Haven't seen him for a long time. He used to talk to himself.

His name was Peter. He died about 3 or 4 years ago. Came from a reasonably wealthy family but just wanted to wander by himself. He is buried in the cemetary in Ferrybank.

he was a quient and very nice man. Never did any harm to anyone.

Advertisement