Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary teaching in Ireland

Options
  • 26-01-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a degree in psychological studies and English from NUIG. I have been taking time out from university and have decided that I would like to do secondary teaching. However, after the PGDE, I would only be qualified to teach English as it is and when I was in school, all of the teachers taught at least two subjects.

I did well in art at school and considered continuing to third level with it but went with English instead. Is there a way to qualify to teach art along with English without starting a new degree? I wouldn't mind doing a year or two year course but a full three year undergrad is a bit much after already doing one.

I would also consider doing guidance counselling as it relates back to psychology. However, I don't know how to qualify to do that either.

I believe having two subjects would greatly improve my chances of gaining employment. If anyone had any information on how to qualify in art or guidance counselling I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm afraid the Help Desk is only for posters experiencing problems with the site or for querying moderator decisions. Other posters can't reply to you here. However if you post over on the Teaching & Lecturing forum someone there may be able to help you.

Advertisement