Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing uneven plaster without replastering??

• 26-01-2011 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Another slight problem has surfaced now this evening,with regards my fireplace

When the stove plinth is placed flush up against the wall,the plaster/skim coat at one end is not level and there is a gap of about 8-10mm between the plaster and the plinth.

If if fill it with caulking,it will look stupid.:(

Is it possible for a plaster,er to reskim/replaster over this area and blend/smooth it in with the rest of the chimney breast,so that the plaster is all level and the plinth can be bonded on with no gaps left??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I had a similiar problem and used black silcone and it worked quite will as the shinyness of the silicone matched in quite well with the black granite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cram1971 wrote: »
    I had a similiar problem and used black silcone and it worked quite will as the shinyness of the silicone matched in quite well with the black granite

That might be a last resort,if I cant get the area replastered/reskimmed and smoothed back into the rest of the chimney breast.

Idealy,thats what I would prefer,so that the plint has a solid surface behind it,to bond to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Black Tec 7....Dont try and fill it in one go, squeeze some in then let dry, then next day do some more till you have a nice flush edge...

Thanks for the advice regarding the sealent and Tech 7.

But they would be last resorts for me.

What I would really like to know is,if a plaster,er would be able to patch this area up and smooth/feather it into the rest of the chimney breast so that its all looks level and nice,once the plinth is fitted and the walls is repainted.

Theres 2 small bits of skirting board to go on at each end,and if I just fill out 1 end with sealent,then the piece of skirting will not match up level with that end of the plinth and it will look very obvious and be an eyesore and wreck my head no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Paddy what you want there is a bucket of Lafarge. Pick it up any builder suppliers. Comes in a large 5gallon bucket, unsure if it comes any smaller. €25 or so. It's pre mixed and ideal for these kinda jobs. Apply 1 heavy coat and let i dry. Scrap any lines or lumps of it out. No need to sand yet. Apply the second as a finish. Sands out nice and smooth. Paint affected areas, and reskim lightly if needed, then touch up area, and finally paint out the wall. Hope that makes sense. Sounds a lot more than it is. Simple filling knife 2/3 inch is good enough.

Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice regarding the sealent and Tech 7.

But they would be last resorts for me.

What I would really like to know is,if a plaster,er would be able to patch this area up and smooth/feather it into the rest of the chimney breast so that its all looks level and nice,once the plinth is fitted and the walls is repainted.

Theres 2 small bits of skirting board to go on at each end,and if I just fill out 1 end with sealent,then the piece of skirting will not match up level with that end of the plinth and it will look very obvious and be an eyesore and wreck my head no end.

if you try to reskim the small area in the photo, it will show up especially as it is so close to a long true edge, that is the corner, also the skirting will be hard to get to look right, again coming off the corner, the gap does look fairly large to do anything like feathering it in, would you try to split the difference, that is chase the centre underneath the inset, an try to lose 5/7mm here and try to kill out the rest at the corner, yes you will notice the difference along the top edge, though maybe not as much as all down one side........just another suggestion.........

Paddy what you want there is a bucket of Lafarge. Pick it up any builder suppliers. Comes in a large 5gallon bucket, unsure if it comes any smaller. €25 or so. It's pre mixed and ideal for these kinda jobs. Apply 1 heavy coat and let i dry. Scrap any lines or lumps of it out. No need to sand yet. Apply the second as a finish. Sands out nice and smooth. Paint affected areas, and reskim lightly if needed, then touch up area, and finally paint out the wall. Hope that makes sense. Sounds a lot more than it is. Simple filling knife 2/3 inch is good enough.

Phil.

Thank for that advice,sound jjust like what I ws hoping for..

Im not a plaster,er thoughand aint that good when it comes to using anything like the stuff above and leveling things out.

I tend to make more of a mess,in the end.

if you try to reskim the small area in the photo, it will show up especially as it is so close to a long true edge, that is the corner, also the skirting will be hard to get to look right, again coming off the corner, the gap does look fairly large to do anything like feathering it in, would you try to split the difference, that is chase the centre underneath the inset, an try to lose 5/7mm here and try to kill out the rest at the corner, yes you will notice the difference along the top edge, though maybe not as much as all down one side........just another suggestion.........

When you say "chase" out the center...do you mean sand down or scrape back the plaster in the centre so that it comes in to the level of where the gap is at the other end??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

paddy147 wrote: »
    When you say "chase" out the center...do you mean sand down or scrape back the plaster in the centre so that it comes in to the level of where the gap is at the other end??

cut/recess the plaster to allow the up stand on the granite to be slightly 'buried' in the wall, it wont be as obvious as putting it all on one side, buckets of fillers are great for slightly uneven coats of plaster, but not for almost a half an inch, .........just my two pence.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What the above posters have said, but if you have money to throw about and are getting it re-plastered then it'll finish the bottoms of the wall outside the marble too, and won't look as bad as it does now.

I'd try black silicone or Tec7

• Advertisement

What the above posters have said, but if you have money to throw about and are getting it re-plastered then it'll finish the bottoms of the wall outside the marble too, and won't look as bad as it does now.

I'd try black silicone or Tec7

Maybe,Im being too fussy,but to me,as it stands now,its an eyesore and wrecking my head now.

Anyone know a decent plaster,er with reasonably good rates who can fix/patch this up?

Oh and in Dublin too.
    Please PM me,thanks.:)

Advertisement