Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Web Hosting

Options
  • 26-01-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Whats the cheapest web hosting for a php forum website. Whats the best deal out there that will be enough to set up a forum ? There seems to be different options depending on provider and Im not sure what exactly I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The cheapest is 3ix.org (€18 for a year's hosting plus domain name). Comes with 2 MySQL Databases, 40GB Webspace and 100GB Bandwidth.

They're reliable-ish... if all you're doing is hosting a personal website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Thanks, Would that be sufficient to host a forum ?

2qk4u wrote: »
    Thanks, Would that be sufficient to host a forum ?
    Yep, it'll be fine.

They'll send you on FTP details, and you can upload a forum using a FTP Client like FileZilla.

What forum platform were you thinking of using as a matter of interest? VBulletin / SimpleMachinesForum etc.

Any problems, give me a shout.

Ive used phpbb before so would prefare that. Im not very technical but found this easy enough. I had hosting with letshost and am just looking for the cheapest and easiest option.

Ah yes, 3ix will be fine so.

Cheap and cheerful alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 webtalk

have a look at shopaserver.com. excellent plan and extremely affordable.

Thanks for the help, ive gone with 3ix for €17.25 for the years hosting and domain name. Im just rooting around it now trying to jog my memory, its about 2 years since I last done this. The phpbb is different that the last one I used but im sure Ill get it..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for the help, ive gone with 3ix for €17.25 for the years hosting and domain name. Im just rooting around it now trying to jog my memory, its about 2 years since I last done this. The phpbb is different that the last one I used but im sure Ill get it..

What package did you go for to get it for €17.25?

godtabh wrote: »
    The Excite Package on 3ix.org works out at $22.99 per year (or €17.30 via Paypal last week) for hosting plus domain name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

basquille wrote: »
    The Excite Package on 3ix.org works out at $22.99 per year (or €17.30 via Paypal last week) for hosting plus domain name.

Sounds like a plan.

I'm looking for this domain to point to another one. I'm getting married and our phtoagher is setting up a RSVP site but we want people only to see our domain. Would something like this work for that?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plan.

I'm looking for this domain to point to another one. I'm getting married and our phtoagher is setting up a RSVP site but we want people only to see our domain. Would something like this work for that?
    Yeah, I'm not sure if you can register a domain without hosting (using DNS or something).

But if you were to get hosting, you could do a redirect using anything from a PHP file to a htaccess file - very easy and quick to do!

Pop me a PM if you've any other questions, or need help.

Will look into them but may take you up on your pm offer. Cheers

Got the Excite package, cant believe how cheap this was.

Got the Excite package, cant believe how cheap this was.
    Now I wouldn't expect world-class uptime, but it's grand for the money.

Basq wrote: »
    Now I wouldn't expect world-class uptime, but it's grand for the money.

For that price its a good start, thanks for the advice. Just need to figure it all out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cusker

I also decided to choose cheap webhosting because this will be my first web site and due to this I just wanted to try it and see how it works. Nevertheless it is very important to me that they offer good customer support. Another important factor is the server uptime. At the moment I am very satisfied with my current web host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Basq wrote: »
    The cheapest is 3ix.org (€18 for a year's hosting plus domain name).

Amazon ec2 free tier is - free for a year (well they do catch you for a couple of cent here and there for snapshots etc if you use them) I've paid 7 - 18 cent per month for one site that gets a fair few visitors and you have the pleasure of complete control.

For domain names I like namecheap http://www.namecheap.com/domains/domain-pricing.aspx as you have advanced dns control like glue records and they're cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

cusker wrote: »
    I also decided to choose cheap webhosting because this will be my first web site and due to this I just wanted to try it and see how it works. Nevertheless it is very important to me that they offer good customer support. Another important factor is the server uptime. At the moment I am very satisfied with my current web host.

I used those guys about 2 years ago for an asp.net site and had nothing but trouble: the performance was absolutely muck and their customer support not much better. Since then I've used Blacknight and Digiweb. Blacknight don't allow remote connections to SQL Server databases but do for MySQL. Both hosts I have found to be very good (and Irish) but a bit more expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

www.1portfolio.com have used them alot in the past, never had any down time. Cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I used those guys about 2 years ago for an asp.net site and had nothing but trouble: the performance was absolutely muck and their customer support not much better. Since then I've used Blacknight and Digiweb. Blacknight don't allow remote connections to SQL Server databases but do for MySQL. Both hosts I have found to be very good (and Irish) but a bit more expensive...

I have about 14 sites on blacknight shared hosting, service is good however:
    The filemanager is a complete joke about 1% of expected functionality - I use extplorer which eases the pain a bit but you can end up with ridiculous situations where some files are owned by ftp user, some by apache and some by somekind of a linux system user.
    You can't download or do anything other than restore backups generated with their control panel so when you restore it overwrites everything in the backup another complete joke.
    No shell access.
    If you use the application installer you have no write access to the htaccess file created so if you want to run anything not in the applications list you may end up deleting and manually installing anyway.
    Can't create glue records in dns.
    Webmail linked to from control panel etc. doesn't work with any modern browser - there is an alternative
    I'm with them about 6 years missed a bill when on holidays last year and account was frozen, you'd imagine there'd be some leeway for a customer with a long record.
    I could go on, if it wasn't such a pain to find another supplier and move I'd be gone.

Having said all that I've tried 6 different other hosts including vps plans and they've all been ****e except for the amazon ec2 which of course totally ballsed up by server and snapshots in august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 roslindoll

Whats the cheapest web hosting for a php forum website. Whats the best deal out there that will be enough to set up a forum ? There seems to be different options depending on provider and Im not sure what exactly I need.

You can get better web hosting service for php forum website from the online vendor XnYnZ.com at cheap rate.

Advertisement