Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this mean?

• 26-01-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

+A Pass (Grade D3 or better) in 6 Leaving Certificate subjects including:

English or Irish and Mathematics, two of which must be passed in higher level papers at Grade C3 or higher

Say if i failed english could i still get offered that course? any help would be great..Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

As long as you still pass Irish and Maths, yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

As long as you still pass Irish and Maths, yes :)

That's not how I read it...

I think you need to PASS 6 subjects, including Maths/English, English/Irish, or Maths/Irish at HL. You cannot fail English, or any subject for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

You need to pass 6 leaving cert subjects. You can fail 10 if you want, as long as you pass 6. In those 6 subjects you need a C3 or higher in Maths and a C3 or higher in English or Irish.

So yes, you can fail English as long as you get a C3 or more in higher Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

The way I read it is that you must pass 6 subjects with 3 of them having to be English Irish and Maths. You then also need to get a C3 in 2 out of those 3 while just passing the other. So from the way I read it no...you must pass English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

English or Irish and Mathematics, two of which must be passed in higher level papers at Grade C3 or higher

But it says or...

If it was all 3 it would say English, Irish and Maths..

Email that college to fond out and then come back and tell us I was right..! ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I have to say I'm reading it as the six must include Maths and EITHER English or Irish, with 2 Hons among the six at C3 or better on (obviously) Higher Level papers.

Bloc Party! ... is how you have quoted it EXACTLY as it's written?

Punctuation can make a difference in these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Yep thats how its stated exactly..copied and pasted straight :D The way i look at it is that you need to pass 6 subjects,2 that should be in higher level at a c3 or better grade..and you need english or irish but im probly wrong

i sent the college an email so when i hear back il post their reply :D

So i sent the email
    "-A Pass (Grade D3 or better) in 6 Leaving Certificate subjects including:

English or Irish and Mathematics, two of which must be passed in higher level papers at Grade C3 or higher.

I was just wondering if i failed english would i still get offered the course?"

This is the reply i got :

You need to meet the entry requirements below, including passing either English or Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I see you have an answer to your question, but it's still interesting enough to comment upon, due to the ambiguities.

If it's GMIT, then I think you didn't reproduced it exactly as stated on their website, although maybe it's different in other documents. It says on the website:
    The general minimum Leaving Certificate entry requirement is a pass (grade D3 or better) in six Leaving Certificate subjects including English or Irish and Mathematics, two of which must be passed in higher level papers at Grade C3 or higher.

As Randylonghorn says, punctuation makes a difference. It also appears that his/her interpretation is correct - the absence of any punctuation mark before the word "including" means that the phrase "two of which" clearly governs the "six LC subjects".

It's not exactly the most user-friendly sentence in the world. The most significant quibble I would have with it is the fact that the phrase "English or Irish and Mathematics" is ambiguous, as it could mean either of two things. Using brackets in the mathematical way to impose order, the two possible interpretations are:
    1. "(English or Irish) and Mathematics"
    2. "English or (Irish and Mathematics)".

In the context, the first of these is almost certainly the intention, as was clarified by the correspondence from the college, but, interestingly, under the usual formal rules for logical operators, the second is actually the correct interpretation of a phrase of the form "A or B and C".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pass your maths and pass either Irish or English. From the six subjects that you pass, two must be at least a C3 at Higher Level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Pass your maths and pass either Irish or English. From the six subjects that you pass, two must be at least a C3 at Higher Level.

Indeed. It's a pity the college admissions officers were not capable of such admirable clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Indeed. It's a pity the college admissions officers were not capable of such admirable clarity.
    I bet none of them did Ag. Science! :cool:

/hides from rainbow :pac:

Advertisement