Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What direction should be easiest for me to surf??

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Right a strange one that I have been thinking about for ages and can't find an answer! I was wondering as a goofy footer what direction should come most natural for me to surf. I find that it is easiest for me to go right but I was thinking it should be easier for me to go left because then I would be facing into the face of the wave. I reckon this would make it easier for me to progress and do turns etc. As a result I have tried to take more lefts when available but I find it to be more forced and less natural.. :confused: I'd appreciate any advice or feedback! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im goofy as well but im more comfortable going left. The odd thing is I probably couldn't do tricks going that way.

Going right I have less control.. Like when I hop up and go right I cant keep up my speed its annoying. Though I feel I could carve easier with my back to the wave with more practise. In my head it sounds do-able (drop in, bottom turn and carve off the top)

Ive been skateboarding going on 10 years though this year so from skating bowls going "left" im pretty used to and going "right" is less natural. Its probably different for everybody..

I suppose thats the key word is practise. Its pretty crap I wish I lived further west. Im in Waterford and if I get to surf once a week its great. Its been pretty good though this month I got out 3 times in one week and was out for over 3 hours each time. Im at the point where I can hop up fine and catch a wave most of the time. I just wanna get really comfortable doing that and being able to carve and just have fun.....im rambling on now... haha.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

god I'm regular and I can't pump going left to save my life although whenever I do have a bit of speed on a left cutbacks are effortless.

i think for most people it's easier to surf facing the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i'm goofy and find going right a lot easier but my mates prefer forehand a lot easier. most of my breaks are rights so a lot less practice on lefts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You could always try switch-stance so that you are always facing the wave (or back to it, whichever you prefer). Feels weird at first but you get used to it. I'm naturally goofy but I like to face the wave so I switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

You could always try switch-stance so that you are always facing the wave (or back to it, whichever you prefer). Feels weird at first but you get used to it. I'm naturally goofy but I like to face the wave so I switch.

How does that work? I mean do you put your leash on your right foot and only paddle for rights? Or do you surf with your "leashed" foot forward?

I'm natural, and prefer to surf rights. But when surfing my backside I find most of my top turns are better coz I'm turning my prefered way (if that makes sense)

I'd say everyone has their preference, and I know I'll alway favour going right, so I prefer to surf rights :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

will3k wrote: »
    How does that work? I mean do you put your leash on your right foot and only paddle for rights? Or do you surf with your "leashed" foot forward?

I'm natural, and prefer to surf rights. But when surfing my backside I find most of my top turns are better coz I'm turning my prefered way (if that makes sense)

I'd say everyone has their preference, and I know I'll alway favour going right, so I prefer to surf rights :D

Depending on which way I'm going, sometimes my leash foot will be forward. You kind of get used to giving it a little kick out of the way as you pop up

Advertisement