Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone calls- Scam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

got a call from them yesterday & just hung up. We're on UPC landline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

just got a call from 0016566801. either they hung up or i accidently cut them off by pressing wrong key answering. Cannot call it back not available- was just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

MapForJ wrote: »
    just got a call from 0016566801. either they hung up or i accidently cut them off by pressing wrong key answering. Cannot call it back not available- was just curious
    Same number rang my house today with the usual home computer scam, The Indian bloke hung up right away when i pulled him on his scam.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Just got a missed call from 0016566801 on my mobile, l'm with Meteor, didn't ring back

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

stonybroke wrote: »
    Just got a missed call from 0016566801 on my mobile, l'm with Meteor, didn't ring back

Have received a few of these over the last few weeks. All from 0016566801 and the aforementioned behaviour of dropping the call as soon as I answer. Never tried to call back nor would I for an unrecognised number. Will be getting it blocked by eMobile now that I see more people complaining about the same behaviour from the same number.

• Advertisement

Just had Jenny from PC Doctor IT departement onto me there with the same scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

had them on this morning...gettin calls now bout 3 times a week from 'windows'...cnuts...always indian or paky accents on them pr1cks

Call yesterday was a 5 digit number 11223.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spamsandwich

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Curiosity guys, do you have an Eircom phone line and account?
    I had this call as well; Being a software engineer, you could imagine how much I drove the guy around the bushes :)

After talking about it in the office, we discovered that all of the people getting the calls had an Eircom landline...

I recivied a call today claiming to be from Microsoft. An Indian woman telling me I had a virus and needed to turn on my computer. An obvious scam. Anyhow my landline is with vodafone but I am in eircoms phone book. And the woman had my surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

I recivied a call today claiming to be from Microsoft. An Indian woman telling me I had a virus and needed to turn on my computer. An obvious scam. Anyhow my landline is with vodafone but I am in eircoms phone book. And the woman had my surname.

exact same myself!:mad: looking to speak to Mr.McCarthy..have been onto VF and well ye can guess the rest??VF are useless and totally unhelpful:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

got a couple of missed calls today ..

raging cause i would live to keep them on the phone for ages.. :)

oops just saw this is cork forum , ah well might help some one if they google the number..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Happened at my OH parents house a few months back, I asked to speak with them, they were claiming to be from Microsoft Security, or the like. So I just said to them sure we only have an Apple Mac here, he soon hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I've got one or two of these calls about my pc having a virus I tell them I'm a naturist and that I'm naked and will only talk to them if they strip so far the just hang up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I play along for a while and ask them to hold on while I get the laptop. Pop phone on the desk and see how long they'll wait before hanging up......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Show Time wrote: »
    My brother got a call along the same lines the other day and started to speak Irish down the phone which had the Indian chap all up in a heap.

Same thing happened to my mum actually - she said some guy rang asking about the internet etc. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about but after reading this I think this is what she meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I usually start up a chat with the Indians along the lines of asking them if they have relatives working in the local A&E or Indian take away or if they have any good curry recipies

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

I had some Indian today who called me twice, first time I was talking in my normal deep voice and after asking him how he knew I had a virus he gave up and hung up or the call dropped. These are Skype numbers I'm told so the 00401 number is what they have been ringing on.

Anyway less than 30 mins later another one rang again, same routine..

"Go to My computer and click run and type in event viewer" bla bla bla. Anyway I put on the best womans voice I could and he seemed to be falling for it until I got to the stage where I thought fcuk this and I screamed down the phone that if I found him I would cut his balls off and feed them to him until he choked. I was fcuking fuming!! :mad:
    Anyways a few mins later and the same number called, I answered and paused and no voice came from the other end, I then proceeded to cough softly and then louder and louder and then stopped and told him that would be the sound he would make whilst he was choking on his tackle (or words to that effect.. :rolleyes:). Hasn't been another call since but I'm not holding my breath. I'll quite happily let them ring all night and talk to my answer machine while I sharpen my axe blade.

CNUTS!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I got 11 in 3 days from 0016566801 everytime I answered the phone went dead. Tried to ring it back but wouldnt.

So to night they rang and spoke!!!!!! :eek:

Its Boad Gais, I didnt give him a chance to tell me what he wanted :rolleyes:

I think I was a bit rude :o Poor chap didnt know what to say :cool: OOOOPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

I got a call supposedly from Bord Gais Energy telling me that according to their records, my boiler was due a service, and would he book me in for next week. I asked him how he knew my boiler was due a service and he said he kew from his records, AND would he book me in for next week. I asked how he knew I didn't get my boiler serviced last week and again he referred to his records and again offered to book me in next week.
    I found this hardsell to be very underhand, he was arrogant, almost rude.
    I told him what to do with himself and hung up.
    Imagine how many of our old folk they will get, or scare, to agree to a service, once they mention Bord Gais, and Records?
    May be genuine, but tactics are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

TiffanyB wrote: »
    I know these people to good. They called me once or twice a week. It was just disturbing. 6 months ago I bought a phone with a blacklist feature and fed the thing with the top 10 numbers from SPAM every month. Live couldn't be better scince then :D

Your love of SPAM has been noted.
    Tiffany.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Is there anything that can be done about these fake calls other than to telll them to get lost. Apologies if this has already been covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I love this video. "You have a desktop, right?"
    "N for Nancy..."
    "Yes, N for Nazi."

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

There is a new one now where you get a short call on your mobile where you can't make out what they're saying then they hang up. You call back and all your credit is gone as its redirected to a pay service!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

0851454154 got a call from this number. missed call at 115am. They left a message of a woman screaming and a man shouting at her hurting her it seems. The call was to my fiances phone. Neither of us can sleep. She is freaking out, as am I now. we informed the Gards but if this is a scam or sick prank please reply. thank you

0851454154 got a call from this number. missed call at 115am. They left a message of a woman screaming and a man shouting at her hurting her it seems. The call was to my fiances phone. Neither of us can sleep. She is freaking out, as am I now. we informed the Gards but if this is a scam or sick prank please reply. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Caff Caff wrote: »

It turns up as a number for selling couches in Dublin on the website below. Looks to be a normal Irish mobile number as well. It all sounds very weird and not a nice call to be getting in the middle of the night.

http://www.flogeverything.com/leather-armchairs/

Spindle wrote: »

It turns up as a number for selling couches in Dublin on the website below. Looks to be a normal Irish mobile number as well. It all sounds very weird and not a nice call to be getting in the middle of the night.

http://www.flogeverything.com/leather-armchairs/

I know I found that site when I searched. The Gards said they can do nothing. Meteor said they will try to investigate. perhaps they dialled the wrong number but it was terrifying hearing her scream it was so primal and a man aggressively shouting. It is difficult to make out but she is saying sorry and please let me go. Even as I type this it is sending chills. I can't get the scream out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Did you try calling it?

• Advertisement

Did you try calling it?

I had only been reading about the slovenian scams yesterday and something wasn't quite right about it so I thought it best not to call in case we were scammed. The Gards wouldn't even call. Meteor said they'll let us know if it was a scam or not. With the link for the selling of arm chairs too, I know many have been scammed on sites like that ie donedeals etc. It's a tough call. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Advertisement