Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nmci

• 26-01-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I`ve applied to do marine engineering in sept as a mature student. I`ve no leaving cert but im a qualified truck mechanic.Will this help me?Do many mature students apply for this course? Has anyone done the interview for this course? Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

Hi Kram,

Yes, mature students do apply for this course, when I did it we had a mature student and the year below us did as well.

Already being a mechanic will mean that some classes will be pretty boring but there are plenty other systems on a ship besides combustion engines, even different engine types e.g. steam turbine.

As for the interview, I don't think they do interviews anymore. We had none and the years after us had none either. Speaking to one of the lectures he said that they only have the interview to make sure you're not completely nuts (wishing to go to sea is bad enough :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kram30

Thanks for the reply. just one more question. The course seems very academic.Is the maths difficult on the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

If you're already a qualified Mechanic, you could contact either Clyde Marine Recruitment in Glasgow, or Viking Recruitment, Dover.

Unlike Ireland, in the UK you can fast track your tickets if you have relevent experience, and get qualified quicker. I dunno if they'll accept your qualification, but I know of others who qualified that way. It would mean doing your college phases in the UK though

Advertisement