Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline/Broadband thinking of changing plan

• 26-01-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I have landline and broadband. Since there are mobiles in the house and we use skype, we are thinking of getting rid of our landline phone and getting broadband via the usb stick.

We are with Vodafone and are very pleased with the service and reception.

As the broadband is important has anybody any comparisons, advantages and disadvantages with regard to best plans out there?

We would be looking for always on broadband? How does prices compare?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

suitseir wrote: »
    we are thinking of getting rid of our landline phone and getting broadband via the usb stick.

Don't do it, it's not broadband. There is no comparison, and won't come anything close yo DSL, and since always on is important to you, this would not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

jor el wrote: »
    Don't do it, it's not broadband. There is no comparison, and won't come anything close yo DSL, and since always on is important to you, this would not be.

Thanks for your advice. I notice that with Vodafone, you can opt for broadband via landline only, so I might contact them and see what they will offer. Our mobiles are vodafone so they can't say, we are not good paying customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

As far as I know there is a €25 charge for reducing your package with Vodafone. You could prob argue this and get it struck out if you threaten to leave (once your out of contract).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Vodafone have recently "parted company" with a number of customers who were interfering with the network. Draw you own conclusions!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928789

I also have rarely encountered such mind boggling incompetence from any company as I did recently when simply trying to cancel a Vodafone mobile bb contract and move it to pay as you go.

I rang to cancel and arrange the transfer and was told I would get a call back the following day - not having received any call back after a couple of days I rang to cancel the contract and give the month's notice. The CSR seemed to have great difficulty with the word "cancel" (he sounded as if he was from Dublin btw)and took a lot of convincing anyhow I arrived home to discover that the bb signal was no longer receivable.! They did not forget to send the bill of coure. Oh and several days later I got the call back to arrange the transfer.

A letter addressed to the Vodafone bb manager remains unacknowledged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

mayflyatr wrote: »
    As far as I know there is a €25 charge for reducing your package with Vodafone. You could prob argue this and get it struck out if you threaten to leave (once your out of contract).

I cannot recall how long the contract is for? But I am with Vodafone now for over three years. I don't pay by Direct Debit;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement