Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Bean Based Recipes

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm living on my own and have realized the relative price difference between meat and beans and pulses. In order to save money (and the obvious added health and ethical values of cutting out meat) I'm going for at least 2 but possibly 3 meals a week using beans or pulses as the main ingredient. I find beans and pulses very filling and have gone to cooking large meals during the weekend and freezing individual portions to have during the week.

So far I've used lentils for a type of lentil stew and red lentils, tomato and smoked carbanosi sausage for a lentil and sausage stew. I've also tried out a chick pea and chorrizo paprika flavored stew. I'm looking for other hearty stew type recipes that are relatively cheap to make so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

pulses are lovely in curry based dishes. A friend has made this Nigel Slater recipe for me and it is lush. Or a chana masala if you like Indian dishes, I haven't tried make it myself but this recipe looks nice. I don't have a recipe for it but cassoulet is gorgeous as well

Oh! and these http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegeterian-recipes/humble-home-cooked-beans

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I use red split lentils to thicken and bulk soup and some casseroles. This is interesting because lately for a few different reasons thought about reducing meat content in our diet. I have casserole recipes with beans and meat but tend to omit them mostly.:o I will get a couple of bags of suitable beans and start using them. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Here's a good Friday Night one,

Gambas with Kidney beans and Chorizo

This is kinda like a pie and cooks the same way as one, you need a good earthen ware dish about 2 inches deep - the big terracota lookin' boyos.

Red onions
    Chorizo
    Gambas
    Kidney beans
    Garlic
    Potato cooekd and cubed
    Tins of Tomato
    White wine

Saute onion and garlic add wine and reduce. line the dish with this mix
    Cube or slice or whatever you want..the Chorizo add to the dish
    Add gambas, spuds and tomato and beans*

*Drain wash Kidney beans (tinned) or steep etc, etc if dried

Slap in the oven with grated Manchego cheese - cook until teh gambas are done - serve with loads of bread.

No need to go nut on seasoning - Chorizo has it's own as does the gambas - everything else in the recipe carries these along.

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Rose Elliot has written a couple of books that are full of dishes based on beans and lentils. Some of her cook books are vegetarian others also are for meat eaters - have a look in your local library!

Simple curry dish I love is:

onion - finely chopped
    1 - 2 cloves garlic
    c 250g spinach
    tin of green or brown lentils
    2 - 3 tsp cumin
    2 - 3 tsp corriander

Fry off onion - gentle heat to soften rather than brown them
    Add lentils, spices and garlic - cook for few minutes
    Add the spinach, bit by bit, letting it condense down naturally, chopping it roughly with your cooking utensiles

Serve with rice - yum!

Also nice cold in a pita bread or similar for lunch the next day.

Note: If you want to use dried lentils instead of tin, then add water before the spinach, and cook them for c 40mins - try to ensure that the water has been mostly soaked up by the lentils before adding the spinach.

OR

shepards pie made with lentils instead of mince - is yummy and real comfort food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Here's a good Friday Night one,

Gambas with Kidney beans and Chorizo

This is kinda like a pie and cooks the same way as one, you need a good earthen ware dish about 2 inches deep - the big terracota lookin' boyos.

Red onions
    Chorizo
    Gambas
    Kidney beans
    Garlic
    Potato cooekd and cubed
    Tins of Tomato
    White wine

Saute onion and garlic add wine and reduce. line the dish with this mix
    Cube or slice or whatever you want..the Chorizo add to the dish
    Add gambas, spuds and tomato and beans*

*Drain wash Kidney beans (tinned) or steep etc, etc if dried

Slap in the oven with grated Manchego cheese - cook until teh gambas are done - serve with loads of bread.

No need to go nut on seasoning - Chorizo has it's own as does the gambas - everything else in the recipe carries these along.

Slam

For Gambas am I reading prawns? Or are you referring to something else. If it is prawns, why not just say prawns or are you being mysterious? BTW the big Spanish Terra Cotta boyo is called a cazuela.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cannellini beans work really well with stir fried shredded cabbage and some strongly flavoured sausages - toulouse sausage with the heavy garlic or chorizo. Dhal is great - I like it made with red lentils cooked in chicken stock - add flavour by toasting whole spices and adding them towards the end of cooking with carmelised onions and garlic. Delicious with a simple veggie curry and some rice or bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

+1 for both dhal and canellini beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Three-Bean Enchiladas

This recipe makes 5 enchiladas, they're really filling, so a single enchilada will make a very generous lunch with a side of spinach & coriander salad.

400g tin chickpeas
    400g tin kidney beans
    400g tin cannelini beans
    500ml passata
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 large red chilli, diced (leave the seeds & membrane in)
    2 tsp cumin,
    1tsp each paprika, ground coriander
    Pinch ground ginger
    Bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
    5 large soft tortillas (preferably garlic & herb ones)

1) Preheat oven to about 190C. Lightly grease a rectangular casserole dish.

2) Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the onions, chilli,garlic and one tsp of the cumin until softened and lightly coloured.

3) At the same time, heat the passata with the remaining cumin, ground coriander, paprika & ginger. Remove and reserve about 2/3s of it, then add the onion mix, beans and fresh coriander to the remainder and mix well.

4) Divide the bean mix evenly between the tortillas, roll up and fit snugly into the casserole dish. Pour the reserved passata over the whole lot, and top with cheese if you want. Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a lovely spinach & coriander salad dressed with lime juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Spicy Beanburgers

1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 large red chilli, finely chopped
    100 g chopped frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed
    400g can cannellini beans or chickpeas
    50g cream crackers, bashed into fine crumbs
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp coriander, chopped
    1 egg
    salt and black pepper

1) Pulse the onion, garlic, chilli & beans in a chopper or food processor until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the spinach, cracker crumbs, cumin & coriander. Mix well.

3. Season to taste and shape into four round burgers. Shallow fry in the oil for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden. These are really good served in round pitta breads with natural yoghurt and baby spinach leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Three-Bean Enchiladas

This recipe makes 5 enchiladas, they're really filling, so a single enchilada will make a very generous lunch with a side of spinach & coriander salad.

400g tin chickpeas
    400g tin kidney beans
    400g tin cannelini beans
    500ml passata
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 large red chilli, diced (leave the seeds & membrane in)
    2 tsp cumin,
    1tsp each paprika, ground coriander
    Pinch ground ginger
    Bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
    5 large soft tortillas (preferably garlic & herb ones)

1) Preheat oven to about 190C. Lightly grease a rectangular casserole dish.

2) Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the onions, chilli,garlic and one tsp of the cumin until softened and lightly coloured.

3) At the same time, heat the passata with the remaining cumin, ground coriander, paprika & ginger. Remove and reserve about 2/3s of it, then add the onion mix, beans and fresh coriander to the remainder and mix well.

4) Divide the bean mix evenly between the tortillas, roll up and fit snugly into the casserole dish. Pour the reserved passata over the whole lot, and top with cheese if you want. Bake in the preheated oven for approx. 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a lovely spinach & coriander salad dressed with lime juice.

I love the sound of these - most of the time recipies for enchiladas seem to have tomatoes which I am alergic to!! Will definately be trying out this one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement