Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting into precast solid concrete fireplace

• 26-01-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm trying to fit a Stovax Riva 40 multifuel stove in my sitting room....one problem....when the stove arrived it wouldn't fit as the precast concrete fireplace is a non-standard type of fireplace (it's a timber-framed house), i.e. its not your traditional brick fireplace. Therefore I can't connect the flue liner to the top of the stove and run it up the chimney as the offset is too severe and there's not enough headroom. My builder says that he can cut out (using a diamond tipped circular saw) a section at the front of the precast section and also some of the chimney above this. This should give access to bend the flexible liner material and connect to both the stove and flue. I'm concerned though as the entire chimney sits on this solid precast section....may impact stuctural stability of this area.....although builder says it wont. This precast section at the bottom is shared with the terraced house next door, i.e. two chimney flues running up through the unit. DOes anyone have any experience of cutting or making modificaitons to a system like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

Hi - I came across this old post in a search - and I'm in exactly the same situation! Pre-cast structure is a bit lower than I would like for my stove and my consultant (my Dad!) is suggesting the same plan of action!
    How did you get on with this?? Cheers! :)

Advertisement