Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<€1500 build, for another friend

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So, this is my first stab at under €1500, he won't be doing any thing that even remotely resembles overclocking, so no need for 2500k or P67's. Any improvements?

EDIT: Also need suggestion for WiFi card, if anyone has seen my (rather old) proposed build for my friend in this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056149550
    they'll see I haven't a clue about WiFi cards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

I'd recommend swapping in an i5 2400, just €6 extra on HWVS for a 0.3 GHz bump.
    Go for 2 4gb memory modules if it's a comparable price, will allow for future expansion and will be generally more hassle free.
    The corsair TX650W PSU doesn't cost much more then that super-flower, might want to swap that in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

seyeM wrote: »
    I'd recommend swapping in an i5 2400, just €6 extra on HWVS for a 0.3 GHz bump.
    Go for 2 4gb memory modules if it's a comparable price, will allow for future expansion and will be generally more hassle free.
    The corsair TX650W PSU doesn't cost much more then that super-flower, might want to swap that in too.

Nice idea with swapping the CPU, I didn't see the 2400 on hwvs, think I'll also include the 4GBx2 for him aswell.

Might swap the amazon for the corsair as well, I was considering going with that at first, can't remember why I decided to put in the Amazon for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

That hard drive is a 5,400 rpm F3.
    If it's being used for OS, I'd recommend the other Samsung F3;
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152&agid=689 , (HD103SJ) which spins at at the faster 7,200rpm. :)

Moon54 wrote: »
    That hard drive is a 5,400 rpm F3.
    If it's being used for OS, I'd recommend the other Samsung F3;
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152&agid=689 , (HD103SJ) which spins at at the faster 7,200rpm. :)

My mistake, I thought all F3's were 7200RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're going for the tx650, the XFX core edition is slightly cheaper.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39875

IIRC, the tx650 is based on the seasonic S12 while the XFX is based on a later revision (S12E, I think) - at least this was the case for the XXX edition and reviews indicate that they are very similar aside from the modularity of the XXX edition.

You seem to be building a lot for your friends - you should sell on your stuff as an excuse to buy new hardware!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Monotype wrote: »

IIRC, the tx650 is based on the seasonic S12 while the XFX is based on a later revision (S12E, I think) - at least this was the case for the XXX edition and reviews indicate that they are very similar aside from the modularity of the XXX edition.

You seem to be building a lot for your friends - you should sell on your stuff as an excuse to buy new hardware!

The TX650s being manufactured now are CWT units now after a silent Corsair swap.

This would be the first actual build were I'm certain the person will follow through with it :)

(Also, in the CAD thread, I was only helping with picking out the parts for the build)

Right, given the recall of Sandy Bridge's motherboards, will probably swap this over to an AMD Phenom II x6 build.

EDIT: Also, unable to use hardwareversand due to not having a bank account (tried persuading him, didn't work)
    EDIT2: How are dabs.ie in terms of prices and delivery?

Right, second proposed, this time from Dabs.ie

Would've put in a second gen i5 for him, but the damned recall messed that up.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

I've used dabs a few times. Delivery itself is fast - so long as it's in stock. Items were in good condition etc.

Build looks good. You might want to choose one without a Via soundchip. The 890GX board (M4A89GTD PRO/USB3) would be better in that area, but is also €40 dearer.

The M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 looks like the best of both worlds.
    Asus site specs
    Dabs link

I've used dabs a few times. Delivery itself is fast - so long as it's in stock. Items were in good condition etc.

Build looks good. You might want to choose one without a Via soundchip. The 890GX board (M4A89GTD PRO/USB3) would be better in that area, but is also €40 dearer.

The M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 looks like the best of both worlds.
    Asus site specs
    Dabs link

I've decided to swap it back over to an i5 Gen2 (found out that it only affects the SATAII slots, there are 2 SATAIII slots, he would only need 2). Should I still include a good soundcard anyway though? Was thinking along the lines of the Xonar DX.

I haven't got a clue what's good in sound cards to be honest. The onboard should be okay in your original choice unless he needs better. While the 6Gbps ports aren't affected, I have to say that I'd be pretty dismayed with a modern full size motherboard only capable having two hard drives, even if I only need two just now.

I haven't got a clue what's good in sound cards to be honest. The onboard should be okay in your original choice unless he needs better. While the 6Gbps ports aren't affected, I have to say that I'd be pretty dismayed with a modern full size motherboard only capable having two hard drives, even if I only need two just now.

Tis mATX, I've told him about the problem anyway and he says he doesn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tis mATX, I've told him about the problem anyway and he says he doesn't mind.
    It looks like most, if not all, manufacturers will be replacing them once they have sufficient stock, so he could wait a couple weeks/months down the line to replace his when there's no rush.

It looks like most, if not all, manufacturers will be replacing them once they have sufficient stock, so he could wait a couple weeks/months down the line to replace his when there's no rush.

He won't listen to me on this matter, says he doesn't mind, just wants it as quick as possible.

Changed his mind, now going with Phenom II x4 965 and M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3. Hopefully this will be the last time he changes his mind (and last time I change mine)

He won't listen to me on this matter, says he doesn't mind, just wants it as quick as possible.
    That's what I meant. If you can find a mobo, get it now, worry about replacing it later.

That's what I meant. If you can find a mobo, get it now, worry about replacing it later.

He's changed his mind anyway.

Ah well, more upgrade options with this route anyway.

Trim back the mobo, Ram and the monitor and you can fit an SSD in there.

• Advertisement

Trim back the mobo, Ram and the monitor and you can fit an SSD in there.

Hmm, good idea, I think he'd like that.

The G500 is €15 cheaper, the G110 is €17 cheaper and windows 7 pro is €3 cheaper on komplett. Free delivery.

The G500 is €15 cheaper, the G110 is €17 cheaper and windows 7 pro is €3 cheaper on komplett. Free delivery.

Hopefully he won't mind ordering from 2 different sites.

EDIT: Would just get him the G500 and G110 from there, as I have a spare mouse and keyboard I could give him if Komplett deliver them late.

€35 says he won't! I nearly always end up ordering from at least two if it works out more than €5 cheaper including postage.

€35 says he won't! I nearly always end up ordering from at least two if it works out more than €5 cheaper including postage.

He's ok with ordering from 2 sites :D

Any disadvantage with a USB WiFi card? Having trouble finding a decent one that's internal (and in stock/on order)

Any disadvantage with a USB WiFi card? Having trouble finding a decent one that's internal (and in stock/on order)
    I use this one myself.

I use this one myself.

That's the one I originially chose for him :)

Out of stock though with "Due date unavailable" :(

That's the one I originially chose for him :)

Out of stock though with "Due date unavailable" :(
    :confused: I'm seeing "Ready for dispatch"

• Advertisement

:confused: I'm seeing "Ready for dispatch"

That's on HWVS, he's unable to order of them (reluctance to getting bank account)

Advertisement