Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to connect wireless printer to laptop

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hi everyone, this is probably a really easy and silly question but anyway here goes!! u have a wireless printer which im trying to connect to my laptop through wifi, i have the vodafone broadband dongle and no matter what i try the printer and laptop cant find each other to connect, do i have to buy a router or something similar (really dont want the expense) or is there anything else i can try? dont want to use a cable as i just dont have the space and the printer is quite large and heavy, any help and advice would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, I'm not sure but my wireless printer connects to my router using the wireless network, it connects like any other wireless device...if you follow me....it scans for available networks, select yours, enter the network password and then it connects, I then had to install the printer software on each computer that was to use the printer....so i would say you need a router, if your using the 3G dongle you will need a 3G access point, hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boghopper

Hi Pancakes, you have made it a bit difficult by not having a wireless router to do the actual connecting for you but i have linked two wireless laptops together by creating and ad-hoc network between the two.Have a go and see if it works and If im doing something wrong someone can jump in and put me right. Firstly make sure that the wireless function is switched on on your laptop. depending on what version of windows that u are on go to your network settings. on windows 7 "set up a new connection or Network", then "Setup a wireless Ad Hoc" . Give your network a name but dont use any security at this time to see if it will work. now because you have no wireless router providing DHCP you will have to manually have to give your wireless network adaptor an ip address. go to change adapter settings. click "Wireless Network Connection" click on properties. click on "internet properties v4 (tcp/ip V4)" click properties and give this adaptor an address like 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 then ok this. now go to you printer and manually give it an ip address of 192.168.0.2 with the subnet of 255.255.255.0 and hopefully the two might find each other. try it and see :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moring to wireless

Advertisement