Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporating a user editable map into a website

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    clueless about all things web design/development related.

I'm wondering could you incorporate a mapm(preferably a google map) into a website that users could edit - kind of a wiki-map, if there is such a thing?

thanks

okedoke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Exactly what part of the map would you want edited? The actual imagery / roads etc or pointers on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Just the placemarks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, I'm sure something like that is possible. It's definitely easy to put placemarkers on a map using whatever technology you want (e.g. a site like daft.ie putting placemarkers on a map to show houses).

I don't know what the Google Maps API provides in terms of any user dropping a marker on a map on your site, and you being able to capture and save the details though.

Try their documentation and see what it says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can defiantly get points from click events in Javascript, just save them to your database.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks folks - will follow those tips up

• Advertisement
Advertisement