Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Cup 4th Rnd: Fulham vs Spurs Match Thread

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

It's live on ESPN this Sunday at 16:30.

I seriously fancy our chances of winning this competition. We've shown in the CL that cup football comes naturally to our players and their attacking style is suited to such competitions. As our league form has dipped somewhat recently, I really hope we take this competition seriously. I was so disappointed at the way we went out against Pompey last year and I'd like to see the team make some amends.

I hope to god that Harry doesn't get cocky and rest key players. Fulham will not be a push over and especially on their own patch. I wouldn't take issue if Harry brought a few bench warmers if we were cruising with a comfortable lead but start with a strong team please.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree, start with a match-winning team. I'd like us to do well in this competition (although it's not my personal top priority for the club) and Harry likes the Cup, so I'd expect pretty much a full strength squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I have a bad feeling this could be a sticky match. We should have enough in us to beat Fulham even if we rest a few players. If this ends in a draw does this go to extra time or straight to a replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Raffo69 wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling this could be a sticky match. We should have enough in us to beat Fulham even if we rest a few players. If this ends in a draw does this go to extra time or straight to a replay?

Goes to a replay after the 90mins, if all square.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hope he rests the likes of Modric, VDV, Lennon and Bale tbh.

THFC wrote: »

Fulham on their own patch will be no mugs so no, I hope he doesn't rest
    Mod, VDV or Lennon. Looks like Bale will be out anyway through injury. If and that's a big IF, we are in a position where we are comfortable leading then I'd have no problem with the likes of Mod, VDV etc being subbed.

IMO we can't afford to look at the FA Cup as a pest. We're not in that position yet. Personally, not ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »

I totally disagree with this. IMO we should be looking to win this cup this season as it is a real chance to win silverware. So to risk resting our stars is not a good idea. As far as I am concerned football is about winning trophies and medals, granted coming 4th is a greater financial reward but when did we start wanting money before glory. If we had an easier draw at home it would be more understandable to rest some players ala the 3rd round but not against Fulham away, lets not devalue this great cup that we have won so many times. Also remember the year ends in 1 COYS

Meh, the FA Cup doesn't hold the same value it did even 5 years ago. IMO we need to be concentrating on 4th spot and the CL and if we go an extended cup run then that's a bonus. Bit it shouldn't come at tiring out our already tired players. As time goes on I see more more and familiarities with us and Villa in the last 2 seasons, have a great XI but get very tired towards the end of the season and ultimately fall short in the primary objective. and even if we do play a strong XI there's a good we'll lose, Fulham are in great form, have a very good home record and don't have anything else to play for. IMO the risks outweigh the rewards.

I'm predicting a 4 - 0 win for us, Berbatov with 2 and Keane with 2 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Vital we play a strong side and make sure we are in the draw for the 5th round. Gomes Hutton BAE Daws Kaboul Lennon Jenas Modric VDV Crouch Krancjar.

Thats the team Id play but no doubt it will be a different side on Sunday. I think Kaboul deserves a game as he was excellent before his setback, and Crouch's height will be needed against them at set pieces.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd put in Sandro if he's fit too

• Advertisement

I'd put in Sandro if he's fit too

He has a knock I think.

From the official club site:

"Harry Redknapp insists he'll field the strongest team possible in Sunday's FA Cup fourth round tie at Fulham.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Roman Pavlyuchenko and Heurelho Gomes all come back into the frame after missing last weekend's draw at Newcastle".

Was pleased to read that.

COYS

Really hope we give the FA Cup a good crack. Was stunned/gutted when we rolled over at Wembley last year.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Really hope we give the FA Cup a good crack. Was stunned/gutted when we rolled over at Wembley last year.

It was there for the taking last year unbelievable how we lost it :(

Harry is putting out a pretty strong team with Bale out injured we line up as

Gomes;
    Hutton, Bassong, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto;
    Lennon, Modric, Sandro, Pienaar;
    Van der Vaart;
    Defoe.

Cudicini, Corluka, Gallas, Jenas, Kranjcar, Crouch, Pavlyuchenko.
    Should be a good game 1-2 Spurs me thinks VDV and Lennon with the goals.

Bolton or Wigan in the next round if we beat Fulham at Home too.

Rubbish from Hutton, no need for that stupid tackle. Brilliant penalty in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

1-0 fulam murphy peno :mad:

Dawson off, another penalty

joke an other peno dawson sent off :mad: 2-0 fulam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

3 nil now.
    Shocking display today

• Advertisement

Game over. Harry, take Modric and VDV off to prevent them getting injured. Forget about this game and move on. Shocking stuff, absolutely shocking and this could possibly be very embarrassing!

this is a load of me bollox :mad:

fcuking hell... not watching the game - I can't - but all this has accomplished thus far is knock the confidence out of our lads and get Daws - our fcuking captain and best defender - a 3 game ban..... Serves Harry right for puuting out his full strength side in a mickey mouse competition... What a load of utter bollocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

FA cup is never mickey mouse. It is our defence that is a disgrace to the shirt, don't blame harry you have not seen the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Will it not be a 1 game ban for Dawson, as it wasnt a violent tackle. This game shows spurs urgently need a good defensive midfielder and a keeper. As earlier poster said that VDV off to rest him for the next PL game. At least Robbie is finally off to the hammers

its 4-0 now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

4-0, this is some serious shocking stuff.

indiewindy wrote: »
    Will it not be a 1 game ban for Dawson, as it wasnt a violent tackle. This game shows spurs urgently need a good defensive midfielder and a keeper. As earlier poster said that VDV off to rest him for the next PL game. At least Robbie is finally off to the hammers

Harry must've been listening - £10 million bid for Scott Parker rejected apparently!

Shambles today we have to hope for a big response Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

me thinks we will be busy in the transfer mkt next 24 hours

Advertisement