Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finger support gloves for basketball

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently started playing a bit of basketball and am having a lot of trouble wth my fingers. While I'm sure a lot of this is down to very poor technique :o, I don't think that's something I'm gonna fix too soon. Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get some sort of maybe halffinger, thinnish glove that would be good for support. If any of that last sentence makes sense!!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

what exactly do you mean by trouble? Are you popping your fingers alot or what? I dont know of any support you could need for your hand to play basketball..

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

I seem to have pretty weak fingers and am spraining knuckles on both hands every time I play now. I guess I was just hoping that someone had seen something like those blue ankle supports (except obviously not for the ankle :)) that would support the hand to halfway up the finger. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

only thing i can see that would sprain your fingers is catching the ball. anything else shouldnt hurt at all or your doing it very very wrong. as for catching the ball practice it when your not playing basketball and work up to harder passes.. basically get your hands used to the ball and how to catch it.. not with your finger tips...

you could wear gloves but they arent really for support... dont think there are individual finger supports..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

nialo wrote: »

you could wear gloves but they arent really for support... dont think there are individual finger supports.

Are you sure? I actually think there are individual finger supports. I'm sure I remember Reggie Miller wearing them with his #31 on them...

Hang on, found a couple of pics...

2lo510g.jpg

reggie_miller.jpg

Are these the kinda thing the OP is talking about or do these serve a different purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

They're available online anyway,
    Wikipedia
    A finger sleeve is worn by basketball players to enhance grip on the ball during a shot and to prevent the ball from rolling or slipping to the top of the fingers.[citation needed] It is the player's preference on which finger the sleeve is worn. Many choose to wear more than one finger sleeve, such as Reggie Miller. The use of the finger sleeve is authorized and approved by the NBA (National Basketball Association). In many cases the finger sleeve is worn for protection instead performing some sort of taping job on the digit.

http://sports.shop.ebay.ie/Basketball-/21194/i.html?_nkw=finger+sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Start strengthening your fingers - you can get grip strengtheners .. there's finger tip pushups as well, but uh, you'd probably wanna be pretty strong to do those :)

Advertisement