Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Happens if my Friend Legs it?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

I have a non Irish friend who desperately wants to go back home for good. But he's tied into a €210,000 or so mortgage on a house in Kildare that probably would sell for about €160,000 if he could sell it. Which he can't.

He's considering just going. What can happen to him if he just legs it? Seriously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends where he is from, if another EU state he would likely be pursued but anywhere else it's unlikely any other action will be taken. He will still be liable for whatever is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nothing he can do, just like the hundreds of others across the country.

If he flees to anywhere in the EU he can be pursued. If he flees to a country outside of the EU then the bank more than likely won't pursue it. Either way, he's still liable and likely to be prosecuted if he ever returns to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I have a non Irish friend who desperately wants to go back home for good. But he's tied into a €210,000 or so mortgage on a house in Kildare that probably would sell for about €160,000 if he could sell it. Which he can't.

He's considering just going. What can happen to him if he just legs it? Seriously?

Would he not talk to the bank ? Or maybe go home and rent it from over seas ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The popular line in these discussions used to be "dont do it as you'll only cause further financial burden on the banks & therefore the tax payer ".
    This hardline has changed since we've seen how easily the large defaulters can avoid their obligations.
    If renting is not an option then get your friend to talk to the bank about selling the house or having a voluntary repossession.
    If he/she are harassed in the future for the amount outstanding then look into bankruptcy proceedings in their home country, if they live in an EU state then it's binding across the whole of community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The popular line in these discussions used to be "dont do it as you'll only cause further financial burden on the banks & therefore the tax payer ".
    This hardline has changed since we've seen how easily the large defaulters can avoid their obligations.
    Its funny how making people pay their debts and their obligations is now called "hard line"

TBH we the tax payer will have to give money to the bank for this bad debt, amongst the billions we have given them.

So I hope he does not leg it, but if he does, I hope he is caught and dealt with very harshly [to be polite!].

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As alluded to above- if your friend is from the EU, the EEA or the US- his mortgage lender will chase him for any arrears along with the cost of selling the house (at any price).

He can leg it to his hearts content- however it would be most surprising if the mortgage isn't securitised internationally- which would mean he could potentially be chased in most countries.......

I personally don't give a damn for the bank that issued the loan- however the simple fact of the matter is they lent your friend the money with funds they borrowed elsewhere- and the folk who lent them the money, are perfectly within their rights to chase your friend in most instances.

Advertisement