Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea, maybe Tuam

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!
    We're re-locating from Kildare to Loughrea for work reasons, but I know nothing of the area!

Any hints/tips/recommendations would be glady received - also my son is 12 and due to start secondary school in September - recommendations for schools would be brilliant!

I am dying to hear of the great stuff you're all going to tell me about Loughrea!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tuam85

A great thing about loughrea is they built a by pass so you don't actually have to go through it anymore...

That's rich coming from a Tuam man I know but its a joke!!!

The loughrea hotel from what I hear is a lovely hotel for food and a few drinks... Lots of estates in and around it... They have a big well laud out supervalu and lidl or aldi.

I don't really know much more about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a quiet satellite town to Galway City. 20-30 mins away.
    I suggest you go over and drive around to get a feel for it but tbh not much seems to happen, which can be a good thing too :)

Search local news for Loughrea to find out more
    www.galwaynews.ie
    www.advertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Loughrea online is a pretty good website to see what's happening http://www.loughreaonline.com/

I live in the town, there's plenty for doing and it's also very safe for kids. A downside is the lack of a swimming pool and an astroturf/all weather pitch. It has plenty of shops (several that have opened recently also) and it's only 20 minutes from Galway, about 45 from Shannon, about 30 from Athlone.

Biko is right though, the best thing to do is to spend some time in the town and see how ye like it yourselves. Anything else you want to know just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I am a SOUTHERNER living for work reasons, through no choice of OUR own, in the County Galway area.

From what I hear, Loughrea is an OK town but as with all small towns (and I come from a CITY) you will have to put up with a certain amount of small mindedness. My advice would be to rent for about 6 months, I know this can be a waste of money, but I did it for a year and it gave me a feel for the place I am now living in and I knew where to purchase when it came down to it. To me, it is a better "waste of money" if you know what I mean.

It has a lake which has a blue flag, is fairly well served with shops and supermarket (Super Valu) but from my knowledge, when it comes to infrastructural situations and local councillors, etc. there is a lot of in-house fighting....hence the reason, why they did NOT opt for a by-pass for the longest time.

There is a good musical society, poetry group, and I think, drama group there!

There are also some unfinished estates, due to the recession, so be careful where you buy, if you do, eventually!

My situation is going to change in the next year or two, as I will be moving away from the small village where I live. I have now outlived it and for work reasons, will be going back to big town living. There comes a time!

Good luck.

Tuam85 wrote: »
    A great thing about loughrea is they built a by pass so you don't actually have to go through it anymore...

That's rich coming from a Tuam man I know but its a joke!!!

The loughrea hotel from what I hear is a lovely hotel for food and a few drinks... Lots of estates in and around it... They have a big well laud out supervalu and lidl or aldi.

I don't really know much more about the place

Don't think there is a Lidl or Aldi. The nearest stores would be Galway City. I know there is an Aldi in Portumna and Lidl in Ballinasloe....but Galway City would be closer for those stores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

suitseir wrote: »
    Don't think there is a Lidl or Aldi. The nearest stores would be Galway City. I know there is an Aldi in Portumna and Lidl in Ballinasloe....but Galway City would be closer for those stores!

There is an Aldi in Loughrea, right next to the Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There is an Aldi in Loughrea.

I live near Loughrea and tbh, no wild horses could drag me into Loughrea to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

im from loughrea myself. its ok town.
    for schools there is two secondary schools.
    st raphaels college and st brigids school. as i went to raphaels id recommend there
    aldi is there and so is supervalu
    a good auctionneer is martin keary good local knowledge check out keary.ie i know them and they are good bunch
    its only 30 mins now via the motorway
    any other questions please ask:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CiaraMcC

Wow! Thank you all so much for your replies - I'm a first time user on this site and I have to say I'm massively impressed - aside from going to the actual town itself I've come to the best place for advice!
    As you all may know when it comes to the world of renting, a lot happens in 24 hours. we were due to view amazing place in Loughrea on Friday evening (having originally been told auctioneer didn't do viewings on Saturdays) he rang to cancel friday evening but was too busy to see us Saturday - I almost ended up having a row with him, long story short, we won't be renting with him.
    Since then a fabulous place has come up in Tuam - now this is where my partner has got his job - and we've been told by 2 people "avoid tuam, it's a kip", so Tuam People, have your say as I doubt that its a kip and I'm willing to give it a go - same things apply as in my original question - most importantly any info on secondary schools greatly appreciated - my mum tells me St Jarleths school is great - all views greatly appreciated!
    I wait for your replies
    :-)

Hang moved there a number of years ago tuam is a lovely spot yes it has it's problems but there is more positive then negatives about Tuam in my eyes!!!

• Advertisement

I am so looking forward to moving, i can't imagine that Tuam is any way worse then where I'm currently living - I spent one day over there last week and people were so friendly and helpful - a rare thing where I am from in Kildare - honestly hate to slag my own, but we are an unfriendly bunch - except those of us leaving to move to Galway of course! :)

Estate I would recommend in Tuam are the meadows on milltown road, palace fields on tullinadaly hill, goldcave out the bermingham rd, either college green or cricket fields Dunmore rd. But for travelling to Kildare again places in corofin may suit but your well outside the town... All above estates are newish... Other estates that are nice but slightly older mill stream park on weir rd, gurran park on the Dublin rd... Parkview drive along bishop street

Jarlaths have amalgamated with St pats secondary and since this has happened there seems to be a slightly more rougher attitude with school goers which has lead to anti-social problem by a number of now past students... Some from families people would never think. This has had a knock on effect and know younger lads are trying to replicate this to be consider "cool" with the older fella... There is a thread dedicated to this!

Local aminities are great in the town... There is Tuam stars, the soccer club, boxing, plenty of astro turfs, two gyms, 1 swimming pool (another one close by in Claremorris), gymnastics, dancing, hurling.... And more. Lots for young people

Social life is ideal. For eating out you have two hotels both do good food at reasonable prices. Cre na cille another restaurant early bird menu recommended. Little Italy and the snug two Italian style place for a romantic night or a fun night. Chinese and Indians in abundance. And of course supermacs and marios!!

Pubs again are plenty from old style reapys and mcdonagh... To the popular ones like the brouge and the bridge. For a nice quiet one you could drop into canavans and the hare inn... It may take getting used too but which ever pub you go into you'll be well treated... My personal fav is loftus's on the square

This is all my opinion and hope it's helpful!!!

Ps if it clothes shopping you want jump into the car and hit Galway castlebar or athlone....

Chow!!!

Thats brilliant info! Thank you so much!

Any other questions pm me I'll try to help

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Tuam is as Tuam85 describes, and don't believe everything you hear about the travelers, there is a higher than traveler population but cause little to no trouble to everyday folk.

Definitely rent for a little while, and if you like country/village living Corofin is a nice place and only 10 min away, good Football/Soccer clubs and the choice of Monivea or Tuam for rugby for the kids.

With Tuam or Loughrea you'll find yourself drifting towards Galway City for Shopping etc.

Tuam to Loughrea is about 45 min with almost no traffic any morning. And if you do consider Corofin it only 35 min commute for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

EGAR wrote: »
    I live near Loughrea and tbh, no wild horses could drag me into Loughrea to live there.

That is a personal opinion and I'm sure is appropriate to your own preferences.

I live in the town and would not move out to the surrounds if paid as I prefer to have the shops, pubs etc. within walking distance. Needing a car every time you run out of milk doesn't appeal to me.

Each to their own, good luck with your move OP.

hoody wrote: »
    There is an Aldi in Loughrea, right next to the Supervalu.

I stand corrected! Haven't stopped there in a while since I by pass it nowadays.

Best of luck now that you have decided to live in Tuam. I have a friend who has been living there for over 20 years but he lives about 2 miles from the town!!!

You wouldn't have as much amenities as you would have in Loughrea (like blue flag lake etc.)

The town has had its bad press, no doubt about that, so once again, renting is a good option. Claremorris is only 20 minutes away but Castlebar is further. Galway city is about 25 minutes.

Suitseir

You named one amenity...

I was in loughrea for a week once on a course... Tuam has far more to offer in my opinion then loughrea... The amenity named by you is A LAKE... I wouldn't call a lake a major amenity, however I'm biased because I hate water and can just about swim...

The amenities in Tuam and loughrea are very similar but I would rate Tuam over loughrea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

For food..... www.facebook.com/CorrysFoodHall

Nice little cafe there too. I can't recommend the place highly enough.

EDIT :

Oops, I just found out you're moving to Tuam instead of Loughrea.

Mind yourself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ningnong

Excellent Facebook page about everything going on in Tuam...and there really is loads, I have to say!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000888608287

Lots of cultural and sports clubs for kids. Music, dance, gymnastics & theatrical arts really encouraged among youth more than I've seen elsewhere and everything from tennis, to soccer, gaelic, hurling, swimming, golf etc.

No one can deny the schools are 2nd to none out of any in the county (and beyond).

Also there is a lady I know who moved to Tuam from Kildare and has 4 or 5 kids (both in primary & secondary) and I'm sure she would be very happy to talk with you an share her impressions. PM me if you want to do this.

I'm not from Tuam but I live here and love it.
    All the best with the move, wherever you end up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

Lived in tuam for a year had no problems while living there locals really nice like everywhere there is trouble makers in every town only probem with living in tuam is going to galway city traffic in Claregalway is terrible.

But you have a few nice shops, Pedros for lunch is Yummy,u have Lidl, Supervalu & joyces from Grocery SHopping. St Jarlaths is a great school for Sports.

enjoy the move to Tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

I live in corofin atm i highly recommend it nice quite area and plenty to do if your into sports.
    I use to go to St Jarlath's collage in tuam.
    Great school but had problems like all school nowhere is perfect.
    There a new principle there now and he is good with anti social problem how I no this because i did my LC last year.It was the first year we had to wear uniform with was a pain.
    I cannot not comment on living in tuam because i don't no it that will but there places like everywhere else that are good/bad but mostly good.

If you need any help give me a pm and I try my best to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

For ladies cloths shopping Tuam is fantastic, Enjoi, Hidden Closet, Accessorize, Born and many many more, for men the pickings are a little slim I'll have to admit, although with Fallon's, Eamon Geraghty's and Jack and Jones on the way you will never be shirtless unless you want to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

there are some beautiful towns and villages between Loughrea and Tuam.... Athenry right on the motorway for convienince or Abeyknockmoy where I moved too and love! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 holmum

lived in tuam for past 2 years relcoated from dublin, its a grand town, very friendly and has great restaurants pubs etc. plan to move nearer to galway city but that is because of work and the commute into galway is long...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 countknickers

Hi CiaraMcC

I don't know if you have considered this but have you taught about looking at Athenry?

It is situated slap bang in the middle between Loughrea and Tuam.

It is just of the M6 and will also be the main joining point for the M17 when it is completed.

It is serviced by Trains and Bus, Has plenty of Shops, Bars and Mixture of resturants and there is plenty of available property at the moment also.

It is about 10-12 minutes from Galway City, 20 Mins to Tuam and about 15 mins from Loughrea.

Schools wise there is the Presentation College and Vocational and also a GealSchoil.

PM me if you want any further details.

PS. I Lived in Loughrea and Hated the place. Living in Athenry now and I'm delighted at the peace. -Thats just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Is it that you want to live in a town... Just wondering why you would choose to live in loughrea when hubbys job is tuam? Reason I ask is because there are some fab villages between tuam and Loughrea. I am from the city and moved to Abbeyknockmoy about 2 years ago with the kids etc I love it, such a great community, Monivea is also the same. There are buses from here that go to Tuam and Athenry schools all good schools. Very big sporting community also soccer, GAA, rugby, boxing, hurling etc... Beautiful area with castles reeking with history and parks and woods near by. Lots of local community events held too! Most would definitly go to Galway for the big shop.. Tesco 20 mins away in Oranmore, Supervalue 10 mins away in Lackagh, Joyces superstore in Tuam or Athenry too. Lidle in Tuam and Oranmore.Very resonable rents out here too as well as new builds. Check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Yeah, but Abbeyknockmoy is soooo clannish that it would not be ideal for someone coming from Dublin to live there. Fek it, there is Donohoe's or nothing and you are lucky if they will acknowledge a stranger if they go in there. No, stick to Tuam or Loughrea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement