Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All the trees removed from smithfield, why?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Just today I noticed they cut down all the trees in smithfield plaza, i counted 24 tree stumps, these werent young trees, they were located at the luas line end of the plaza, does anyone know why they did this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IIRC the original plan called for some kind of green space there. Ironic, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikegalway

They were cut down yesterday afternoon. They're digging away there today. Why, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I rang the Council and it's Phase 2 of the Smithfield Quarter Upgrade. The trees were removed as there were too many of them too close together for their size (if that makes sense). Both sides of the Luas tracks will be re-landscaped and the old trees will be replaced by a smaller number of semi-mature ones.

As part of this work, the Dublin Bikes station will be temporarily removed but they have put in another one at the top of the square which will be left as a second Smithfield station when the work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Hi, I was also in Smithfield yesterday while they were removing the trees. They were mature trees and I doubt there is any good reason to remove the last piece of greenery from the stone jungle that is smithfield.
    Do you remember the hassle when they removed they treets from O'Connell street. The council really listen to peoples views dont they? just as open to public opinion as the politicians.
    Anyway I am disgusted, I am sure some "token" tree(s) will be placed back there for public approval.
    I just saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Some more details here: http://raymcadam.com/blog/?p=489
    Hope this helps.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭goldiejam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A shame... they really could have left them, I just don't understand the thinking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is this the being of the redevelopment that they were supposed to do years ago?

Have they finally moved the Horse Fair to somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why not at least relocate them rather than chop them down? Yes it would cost a bit more but it seems so stupid to chop trees down just to replace them with smaller ones...

They'll have to dig the roots out anyway while scaping the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Can't seem to find where it says the bikes station is to be removed??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MorpheusDream

Where is the next nearest bottle bank for the mean time? I have a collection to get rid of. Cheers if anyone can help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Where is the next nearest bottle bank for the mean time? I have a collection to get rid of. Cheers if anyone can help out.

Tesco off Prussia Street has bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

The bottle bank is still there (at least it was over the weekend). Its kinda hidden behind that weird plinth/mini stage thing. Anyway, its beside the Dublinbikes station. If you're coming from Queen St direction its invisible until you walk around the big cordoned off area.

The bottle bank is still there (at least it was over the weekend). Its kinda hidden behind that weird plinth/mini stage thing.

Yeah what the hell is that thing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MorpheusDream

Glad to hear they are still there :).

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah what the hell is that thing for?

I always presumed its some kind of giant power/anchor point for a stage and equipment etc. But not really sure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Can anyone give dates for dublinbikes to be moved? it was just getting good as it was not full every night. How long will they be gone?

Any one a link to picture of what smithfield will look like after ?

gar32 wrote: »
    Can anyone give dates for dublinbikes to be moved? it was just getting good as it was not full every night. How long will they be gone?

I'm not sure they're going anywhere. The only place I've seen a reference to them being moved is in this thread. There's no mention of them on any of the documents linked to that I can see.

At the moment they haven't been touched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

DCC had a consulation night a while back with residents here in Smithfield. The end result of what they're doing looks very good. Other than the middle part of the square the rest of the area is in bits. The trees and benches that they ripped out were mostly just a place for drunks to congregate.

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    The trees and benches that they ripped out were mostly just a place for drunks to congregate.

Yea this is a good point. While the drunks are pretty harmless I suppose they don't show the area off in the best light!

I wonder where tai chi woman has gone though? Used to see her in the morning standing amongst the trees doing her crazy stretches and stuff. She's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Social Media

Why they chop trees down is beyond me. I guess it's like road laying here. Get the road done and dig it up. Mm wouldn't you think they'd get another hobby or something. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Dord wrote: »
    DCC had a consulation night a while back with residents here in Smithfield.

Just curious but when was this and how did you hear about it? I live in Smithfield and wasn't notified.

Advertisement