Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

live wires

Options
  • 27-01-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Ok we bought a house in 2009- had a survayor in and he pointed out stuff that needed done and price was reduced accordingly.

In here nearly 2 years and only found out something , in our kitchen the old owners had a gas cooker, they wanted an electric so they got (someone) to sort that - so i tried tried to put an extractor fan above the cooker ( i have gas ) and the guy who was putting it in said he couldnt because there was a live wire behind the wall.

He said someone had ran a live wire across to put a new plug in on the other side- 2 meters away from cooker(when i viewed the house there was a big 2door fridge there -the american ones, its was prob for that)

SO I BASICALLY COULDNT PUT THE EXTRACTOR FAN UP THERE, i paid the man for his time n he left. Can anyone give me an idea how much id be looking at for an electrican to sort this??? My kichen is awful looking and im planning on getting new one in the next 5 years but cant do it with a live wire in the back wall:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sorry, what's the problem? You don't want to drill the wall cause there's an electric cable running along it?

How did he identify the cable? Is the cable plastered over?

If i was you, i'd knock some of the plaster off the wall, where it won't be seen and identify where the cable is. Then just put up the cooker hood and don't drill into the cable ;)

You might be able to use this cable to your advantage and pop an extra socket on it for the cooker hood.

Either way, wouldn't cost the earth to get an electrician to have a look (€50). It could be as simple as marking the wall so you know where not to drill when putting up the cooker hood. Might be a little bit more if you need a socket put on that cable run, for the cooker hood.

It sounds like the first guy didn't want to do the job full stop, i'm sure a work around could of been found, there's always another way!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if they converted to an electrical cooker then the cable might be the supply to the 45amp dp switch, if there is one. like dilbert im a little confused as to why the cable was in the way, unless its ran along the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

best i can do on paint.

black square is the plug that the previous owners put in above the oven
    Blue rectangle is the switch for electric oven
    Red Thick Line is where i wanted to put extractor fan
    Red skinny line is where i was told live wire is
    Green Line was where the Fridge was plugged in from when i viewed the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mark on the wall around where the cooker hood is to go. Now knock out some plaster around where the cable is in the wall so you can easily see where it is. Simply drill your holes for the screws and if one of the screw locations on the hood looks like it's near the cable in the wall make a new one on the hood somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Mark on the wall around where the cooker hood is to go. Now knock out some plaster around where the cable is in the wall so you can easily see where it is. Simply drill your holes for the screws and if one of the screw locations on the hood looks like it's near the cable in the wall make a new one on the hood somewhere.

+1

Sounds like the first guy who came to fit the cooker hood didn't want to.

Also the socket below can be unscrewed and examined (with power turned off), this will give an indication as to which way the cables are going.

Sounds like your going to need an electrician to fit a new socket for the cooker hood, so when he's doing that he can mark where the cables are. €50 -> €80 should cover the cost of a call out and adding a nice single socket for your cooker hood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

First thing you need to do is get those wires running diagonally to the cooker switch redone, all wiring should only be run either vertically or horizontally to outlets.
    Secondly, is the hob directly above the oven? If so, you need to move that cooker switch and socket.
    From your drawing it isn't clear where the presses are, they might need to come down and put back up again once chasing and rewiring is done.
    While doing all the above it would be no ordeal to include a socket for the extractor.
    It would take a day to put that right, but it is very do-able.
    You could bond over any chases in the wall, until such time that you are redoing the kitchen and can finish the wall properly with skim/tiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

best i can do on paint.

black square is the plug that the previous owners put in above the oven
    Blue rectangle is the switch for electric oven
    Red Thick Line is where i wanted to put extractor fan
    Red skinny line is where i was told live wire is
    Green Line was where the Fridge was plugged in from when i viewed the house

are you wondering about a hole in the wall for the extractor fan?
    you can always get a charcoal extractor they don't need the be vented outside, i have one

Advertisement