Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruitpicking - How much can you earn?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Just wondering what sort of pay people get for fruit picking? Say if you work fairly hard at it how much are you likely to earn in a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Millions....

But seriously, min wage is like $18.54, but you can earn on contract aswell, which means you get paid per kilo (or other weight amount) so essentially you get paid more if you earn more.

Obviously if you work on contract, it'll depend on the fruit, the crops yada yada yada, but it is possible to make some good dosh, few lads i know were on like 1200 after tax while picking watermelons on contract...said it was tough work though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mate of mine was on about $2 per bucket of grapes he picked. Said the money overall was horrific but it had to be done for the visa.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mate of mine was on about $2 per bucket of grapes he picked. Said the money overall was horrific but it had to be done for the visa.

Lad i know actually lost money pickin apples on contract, bad harvest or something... Its a bit've a lottery really...

Thats why i stuck it with the hourly rate! (Avoid zuchinni's though, minus craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

I'm off to Griffith tomorrow to start my 3 months and the chick in the hostel said we'd be getting $13 an hour.

I've heard both good and bad things from mates that I've met over here, and I think it is just a luck of the draw kind of thing! Sure you can always ask the farms or working hostels how much you'll be makin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Its no way to earn money in fairness, which is why they have the WHV'ers doing it to get a second visa. Good craic like but no master plan to make cash, even if you are 'working hard'.

If you can find somewhere that'll give you an hourly rate go for it!

I worked a fair few different places and it was always BAD
    Doing apples $33 a bin, max anyone could do is 3 bins a day (and thats working hard!)
    Same with pears. used to take home about $350 a week. before food/beer etc.

Did grapes on a different farm for $2 a box maybe 25-30 a day. Place was a scam tho, charged highish rent, charged for 'transport' to the farm etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

In mildura at the moment and most places offering work want you to stay in the hostel. You have to pay for transport too. Have our own place with pool and bbq for half the rent in hostel

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Slunk wrote: »
    In mildura at the moment and most places offering work want you to stay in the hostel. You have to pay for transport too. Have our own place with pool and bbq for half the rent in hostel

I was there last month. Done a runner from the place. Hated it. Pay is crap, living conditions are horrific. Moved back down to Melbourne. Is there any fruit picking work over in W.A direction does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I'm fruit picking at the moment. If min wage is $18.54, nobody told the farmers in SA. In our area...

Cash-paid wages are about $10-15 ph for all work. You cannot usually claim cash work for your visa (the farmers will not fill out the forms). Personally, I wouldn't take a job for less than $15 ph cash. Good for short-term if you need quick cash.

All taxed work is claimable.

Stonefruit (peaches/nectarines) picking is $18-20 ph depending on the farm. Can be easy or difficult depending on how picky the company is and whether they are drying their fruit or sending it to market. You can work 7 days a week 5-10 hours a day if you like and so earn a lot of money.

Anything paid by contract (per box) at this time of year will usually pay less than the hourly rate for stonefruit. At the moment picking oranges won't earn you much money because it's pre-season and they're small, but when the season starts you can earn the most money on this fruit - but it is the most physically demanding picking.

Basically follow the seasons, and be aware that due to all the rain the some fruit is starting late and some seasons are shorter. Check before you travel. Avoid picking anything low-down (peas, pumpkins etc) as it will wreck your back after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

was on 17.5 an hour on a banana farm in cardwell, north queensland, so took home almost 600 quid a week while only spending about 300 quid a week on rent, food, booze etc. so all in all a good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

I moved to Darwin city for 3 months and worked in construction to get my 2nd year visa. Pubs, clubs, cinema, 2 golf courses etc. on good money way better option IMO

• Advertisement

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    I was there last month. Done a runner from the place. Hated it. Pay is crap, living conditions are horrific. Moved back down to Melbourne. Is there any fruit picking work over in W.A direction does anyone know?

Thinking about that myself. Got paid yesterday. 10 dollars an hour for covering the grape vines with plastic in 35 degree heat. Safely say i won't be doing that again. Could be in Melbourne soon.

Did mine up in Queensland, Ayr to be precise. Min was $17.5 till June then the gov increased the min. I'm surprised to here people getting so shafted with under pay.

Look, fruit picking is no craic (unless you get a really easy job like packing, or driving a tractor) but its means to an end. It could be worse, you could be picking zuchinni's on Corricks. Literally like being in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nameless1

Has anybody any idea what its like working on the cotton farms in oz?

Nameless1 wrote: »

Its meant to be rough enough, i was working for a lad in Ayr who owned a large cotton farm in Toobeah, and a few've the lads that worked there said it was rough.. But thats only hersay

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Is anyone fruitpicking at the moment in an area they'd recommend?

I'm in Sydney and am willing to go anywhere where there will be 4-6 weeks of busy work. I was going to head to Mildura or Shepparton but with all this rain the last thing I'd want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no work.

I'll head to WA if it's worth it? That seems like the only places that's had hot weather this year!

Nice one.

I would advise against sheparton. Went there three weeks ago and left after half an hour. Heard too many stories from people in the hostel about not getting work and been paid **** all for work they had done. Headed on to mildura. Here three weeks. There's work around but just be careful. Some won't give you work unless you move into there hostel. You may not have a full weeks work and the rent is dearer than other places around. I'm staying in a cabin in a holiday park, big 4, and its nearly half the price of working hostel. If you come here your best getting your own accom and go to mildura central backpackerS on deakin ave across from mcd's. You will prob have to pay him five or ten dollars a day for getting you work. The grape picking won't start for another three weeks approx. At the moment its watermelons or covering the vines with plastic. Horrible work.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Mildura is well dodgy, heard a few stories about people getting scammed, so be careful although there is plenty of work about.

A few friends are up in Hillston at the moment, getting good money and hours, seems to be plenty of work up there

Yeah between five of us we were left short 13 hours over the week. Same work and got different rates. Some farmers are dodgey. I'm out of here altogether on Friday anyway.others are staying and have continuous work with the one farmer. Giving up on the regional. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Keep at it Slunk, there is some honest people out there. Iv had some bad experiences with farmers in the past too, but its good to have the option to stay in australia for an extra year

Ah I'm moving on for the moment. They only have work for the lads and its hard out in the heat all day for **** all money. Me and the gf are heading to Melbourne. Was offered work there. Better chance for her to earn too. Others might follow if the girls don't get work. I'm not to concerned about it. Just said id give it a shot. Glad to hear there not all like that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Thanks for the info guys.

It seems like what I expected then - it might take a while/bit of luck to get something decent sorted. It's my own fault, despite promising myself I wouldn't get too low on money before heading out for harvest work I left it to the last minute.

I bit the bullet and bought a ticket out to Perth. I could do with the change and not to sound like a knob but a good part of the attraction for me here is the nice weather, which is not happening in NSW.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

I don't envy those trying to find fruit picking work this year with queensland pretty much a no go area, there's going to be alot less jobs available.

Pick up the harvest trail handbook, find out whats in season and where and pick up the phone and ring as many hostels as possible to find out what the work situation is like.
    If you have your own transport and prefer not to live in a hostel, most places will give out contact details for the farms if you ask nicely. Then you can drive around and try to get work directly from the farms.

Have fun, the fruit pickin life is pretty good...once you get used to the work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bubbs_20

was on 17.5 an hour on a banana farm in cardwell, north queensland, so took home almost 600 quid a week while only spending about 300 quid a week on rent, food, booze etc. so all in all a good experience

Hi travelling to oz with friends around June of this year. Looking to do the fruit picking soon as possible perhaps in July. Whats the best time to look for work on the farm you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Has anybody worked or stayed in hostels in Bowen or Bundaberg around this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

Nameless1 wrote: »

I did my 3 months this time last year doing the cotton picking on farms in NSW and QLD.I got $20 an hour driving a module builder which is a machine that compresses the cotton into bales.Handy enough work and we done 11 or 12 hours a day so I was able to save plenty of money.Would definly recommend it as a good way of doing your regional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Mad_Dave wrote: »
    I don't envy those trying to find fruit picking work this year with queensland pretty much a no go area, there's going to be alot less jobs available.

Why is queensland a no go area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Why is queensland a no go area?

Cos it flooded and then was hit by a hurricane last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 leven

Marko10 wrote: »
    I did my 3 months this time last year doing the cotton picking on farms in NSW and QLD.I got $20 an hour driving a module builder which is a machine that compresses the cotton into bales.Handy enough work and we done 11 or 12 hours a day so I was able to save plenty of money.Would definly recommend it as a good way of doing your regional work.

Marko10 - Have you any phone numbers or contacts for the farms you worked on? I am finding it very hard to get regional work. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Advertisement