Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

• 27-01-2011 1:09am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

New Trailer out today (Nothing hugely new in it fairness). All the same I think it is time this game had its own thread as it is finally out this year, the last post in the old Rage thread is dated 2007 so I think it is safe to call it dead :p.

I have to say the more I see of Rage the more I like, it looks like it could be a real blast. It was already on my most anticipated list for 2011.

So are you looking forward to this, or less optimistic given it is six odd years since id last release any game?

The website was relaunched today as well with a new makeover.

http://rage.com/en
    August 23, 2037: Apophis 99942 strikes the eastern hemisphere.

Carrying the force of 2.4 million megatons, 30% of life on Earth becomes extinct in 26 seconds.

Within one year 80% of all life is gone. To make matters worse, Apophis contained large amounts of heavy elements. Darkness blankets the planet. The Earth falls into an impact winter lasting almost 50 years and life on the surface is driven to the brink.

Prior to impact, in an effort to save human civilization, Arks are constructed and buried deep underground. These cryogenic lifeboats carry humanity's future, preserved with the tools they need to rebuild. They are the seeds of Earth's rebirth.

But when survivors begin to emerge from the Arks, they find the unexpected. Many humans who were above ground during the impact unexpectedly survived, while horrific mutants roam the dead cities. And a mysterious tyrannical government, bent on creating a new world order, has begun the search . . . for you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Not on my radar but looks decent. Has to have a good multiplayer aspect otherwise is a no no for me. Who buys FPS game's for the singleplayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Been on my radar for a while now, looks like the bastard child of fallout and borderlands.

Out in September so ages away yet, I'm hoping this is free roaming and not linear though I'm leaning more to the later the more I see of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not on my radar but looks decent. Has to have a good multiplayer aspect otherwise is a no no for me. Who buys FPS game's for the singleplayer?

Play the stalker and fallout games. Thank me later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ah not every single FPS game needs a multiplayer element, the FPS genre is already saturated with multiplayer FPS that have a token 4-6 hour campaign tacked :).

There will be at least some form of a coop element although not many details as of yet.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Been on my radar for a while now, looks like the bastard child of fallout and borderlands.

Out in September so ages away yet, I'm hoping this is free roaming and not linear though I'm leaning more to the later the more I see of it.

In fairness it is almost impossible to not think that whem you look at it, although it probably started off development before either of them, or at the very worst around the same time given that it was were doing the tech demos rounds as far back as 2007. I'd settle for a happy medium of a (substantially long) linear storyline with plenty of room for roaming off the beaten track.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

In fairness it is almost impossible to not think that whem you look at it, although it probably started off development before either of them, or at the very worst around the same time given that it was were doing the tech demos rounds as far back as 2007. I'd settle for a happy medium of a (substantially long) linear storyline with plenty of room for roaming off the beaten track.

Being a cross breed of BL and FO is not a bad thing in my book, you summed up my expectations of it quite nicely there with "happy medium of a (substantially long) linear storyline with plenty of room for roaming off the beaten track."

And this is Bethestda and ID here so I hope I'm not wrong in expecting this :confused:

My biggest concern is that given the dev time on this that it won't turn out to be another Alan Wake, while it was good, by the time it came out it was well past it's original promise :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Maybe my rose-tinted id glasses, and buckets of nostalgia are clouding my judgement, but I have a good feeling that they will deliver the goods this time around. (Assuming the Doom 3 development team have been "taken care of", and yes I means in a Goodfellas sort of way :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Looked pretty interesting... Untill it showed some gameplay and I copped it was anothe FPS. Don't get me wrong, it looks like good fun. But I've just grown tired of FPS after FPS. It's all starting to feel very samey to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I saw the developer demo at the Eurogamer expo thingy and, although it's visually very good, it doesn't really do anything for me. It reminded me of Metro 2033, more than anything else. The vehicle section that was shown seemed more like it was tacked no to have something between the various towns in the game. The gameplay itself didn't seem too exciting, either.

At the moment I'd say I might pick it up when it's dirt cheap in a Steam sale in a couple of years. I'm in no rush for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Intresting to see how it plays, since it uses the new id tech 5 engine (or whatever its called) that Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will use.

Saw some good gameplay vids where the enemies climb walls and negotiate the areas very fluidly to avoid your attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks class,similar to the stalker games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I dunno, people who like games? People who dont want to have to listen to angry teenage virgins screaming about your level of noobishness? People who enjoy a semblance of story or immersion in an FPS? People who arent in a masturbatory conga-line for the next generic OSCAR MIKE ROGER VICTOR MELDREW military sim? People with more than 2 brain cells to rub together who realise CODBLOPS lobbies are just a spawning ground for sub normal social outcasts to see how much collective drool and homphobic tirades they can produce over the course of an evening?

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Intresting to see how it plays, since it uses the new id tech 5 engine (or whatever its called) that Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will use.

Saw some good gameplay vids where the enemies climb walls and negotiate the areas very fluidly to avoid your attacks.

It was thought that id Tech 5 would be used for Elder Scrolls V after Bethesda aquired id, but they are developing a brand new engine instead.

One of the reasons speculated is that that progressive day and night cycles, which are integral to the likes of Elder Scroll and Fallout are not currently possible with idtech 5 as it lacks full Global Dynamic Lighting support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I pity those who don't play multiplayer games with their friends and their only mp experience is with 13 year old Americans on a console game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

New gameplay trailer released, looks good so far!

Benzino wrote: »

Wow I'm liking that!!!!!

Nice weapons and environments. Remember being excited when I 1st heard about it a few years ago. I thought it was going to be a cross between Fallout and Borderlands and it does look that way, but the outside at the start almost had me thinking 3rd person Final Fantasy on the looks of the level.

Did some digging re: Mulitplayer and it does sound interesting, which is rare for me to say as I'm not a big FPS multiplayer guy
    Rage has two multiplayer modes: Combat Rally and Legends of the Wasteland. In Combat Rally, up to six players compete in a free-for-all match that takes place in an arena designed to make use of the vehicles. The objective is to collect rally points that appear around the arena while killing your opponents and stealing their points. Legends of the Wasteland is a series of two-player bonus co-op missions based on stories that you hear about as you play the single player campaign.

Whats concerning me about this game is :
    a) how long it will be
    b) level of freedom to choose quests and location(I'm not expecting fallout levels of freedom)
    c) how the driving elements will impact the game as from what I have seen they will be a big part of the game.

Anyway looks I'll have something to play in September when everyone else is basking in Gears of War 3 hype. Hopefully if this is a great game it wont suffer/ get over looked from being out around the same time as GOW3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Am I the only one who is not hyped about this game? I am a sucker for post apocalyptic settings, but it does not give me a boner :(

It looks okay, but I don't see anything groundbreaking in it.

I presume my pc will poop him self and die while trying to run that game.

Benzino wrote: »

That is fricking awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

I heard about a trailer where they showed motion control... Anyone know where I can see that one?
    The ones on the official page all centre on the different maps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I dunno, people who like games? People who dont want to have to listen to angry teenage virgins screaming about your level of noobishness? People who enjoy a semblance of story or immersion in an FPS? People who arent in a masturbatory conga-line for the next generic OSCAR MIKE ROGER VICTOR MELDREW military sim? People with more than 2 brain cells to rub together who realise CODBLOPS lobbies are just a spawning ground for sub normal social outcasts to see how much collective drool and homphobic tirades they can produce over the course of an evening?
    you know there is a mute button??

I hope its a big open world you can freely explore,I also hope my pc can handle it,Its 3 yrs old this august :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    you know there is a mute button??

^ Why do these guys with more than "2 Brain cells" struggle so badly to find the mute button !!!!

Typical stereotyping bullsh!t..... "OH... So you play CoD... you obviously don't appricate a good single player game !".... Wise up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Am I the only one who is not hyped about this game? I am a sucker for post apocalyptic settings, but it does not give me a boner :(

It looks okay, but I don't see anything groundbreaking in it.

I presume my pc will poop him self and die while trying to run that game.

No-one is hyped about this game... Which is unfortunate.

Its been delayed by about 3 wks,no reason given.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/10/rage-delayed.aspx

Its been delayed by about 3 wks,no reason given.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/10/rage-delayed.aspx

Gears of war and a couple of others were due out around that time in September if I recall. Smart move really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Magill wrote: »

Typical stereotyping bullsh!t..... "OH... So you play CoD... you obviously don't appricate a good single player game !".... Wise up.

nah, its your playing of cs that brings your taste into question :pac:

im probably going to get this no matter what the case being the mad max/id/post apocalyptic fanboy that I am. probably wont be the best game but w/e. is the same engine being used for doom 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

New Dev Diary talking about the enemies in the game ...

• Advertisement

Cant wait for this,far too many games coming out between now and xmas cant get them all I suppose :pac:

Advertisement