Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Game seems to run fine for me. Textures tend to be a bit blurry when you get up close but runs so smoothly and everything else looks so great, I'd not be pushed to complain. Enjoying it a lot so far. Very polished.

One thing I'm unhappy about... I got the "Anarchy" edition which came with some extras.. but it feels like I've just paid for cheats, no? I'm just at the part where I'm selecting my armour and you basically choose between three classes or, and only because I have Anarchy edition, I can choose a forth class which combines them all.

Surely the challenge of the game is to pick a class and work with the pro's and con's of it. Sort of annoyed at that. Also, I started the game with ultra-powered fists and a double-barrelled shotgun along with the standard pistol. Feels like I've handed over extra cash for an always on cheat-code. Shouldn't have bothered enabling that one.

Apart from that... great game so far :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

this was a spur of the moment ps3 purchase for me today, its not bad. have about 2 hours of play so far and I'm happy with it at the moment so far. like what calex91 said, he said it best. it feels like its missing something. lack of a map is really annoying also. it feels very fallout-ish. not a bad thing. car mechanics and controls are quite flimsy and crappy tbh. plus the 'wasteland' is quite limited its not like red dead redemption or fallout 3 where youcan go where you want. terrain is like invisible corridors and slopes guiding you around by roads. not an open world. but graphics i have to say are incredible. top notch. gameplay is good and there is plenty or side mission jobs to do much like oblivion elder scrolls through strangers. i paid 50 in xtravision and got a copy of the book of eli dvd with it free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lots of chat about drivers and things but not much about the game :confused:

RAGE title fits the game perfectly after doing the mutant menace mission there :mad:

Took me 45 minutes to get it,
    you have to protect workers with a sniper rifle would have been a doddle with a mouse and keyboard

In the end I
    spammed the area with granades
    :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Okay ran into another graphics issue in Wellspring. Some npcs are flickering like crazy.

Tried the new ATI driver. No change. Going hold off playing until either a patch or driver fixes the graphics issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just made it too wellsprings,didn't realise there were gonna be boss fights

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

calex71 wrote: »

RAGE title fits the game perfectly after doing the mutant menace mission there :mad:

Took me 45 minutes to get it,
    you have to protect workers with a sniper rifle would have been a doddle with a mouse and keyboard

In the end I
    spammed the area with granades
    :pac:

Yeah that was pretty easy on PC.

One minor annoyance is the controller support. Some games dynamically update the UI when you start using one. Arkham Asylum for example would recognise when you were pressing buttons on the mouse/KB or the 360 controller and update the on screen UI accordingly. Rage doesn't do this you you're stuck with 360 prompts.

Generally I'm quite enjoying it. It's nothing special storywise but the shooting is solid and the world looks gorgeous even if the textures don't stand up to close inspection. NPCs are great with some fantastic animation which is welcome after some of the shoddy animation in Deus Ex:HR.

Driving is there, not sure if it's really necessary TBH. Races are arcade Mario Kart type affairs so they might be fun in MP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

calex71 wrote: »

PC gamers: so busy upgrading their hardware and mocking up motivational jpegs proclaiming themselves the master race that they forget to play the game sometimes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I love it, its one of the best games ive played since fallout, looks breathtaking. Just love that opening music when they are putting them on the ark. Think its balanced really well too, nice open world that is brilliant to drive around, great RPG elements and i like the way it takes you into controlled environments for the FPS so it can retain its quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PC gamers: so busy upgrading their hardware and mocking up motivational jpegs proclaiming themselves the master race that they forget to play the game sometimes ;)

this. i like this right there. and not in the smart way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

seen videos of it and it looks great..ill wait till january though as im broke right up till then

will have a few games in my list and hopefully ill pick up second hand copies of them for 25 quid each or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Bought it yesterday, basically everything everything that can be said about the game has been said. Its not going to go down in gaming history, but its not a bad game, its more just something to have a bit of fun with.

The reason I bought is to kill some time for a month till all the new games are being rolled out.

The voice acting is pretty good, graphics are brilliant, I havent got enough weapons to have a say, so far so good though.

Also, you have to manually save most of the time as the autosave doesnt really do alot, you run the risk of loosing hours of gaming if you dont save often.

I'll be looking for a reliable partner to do the co-op missions later in the week, from what I played of them, some will take some patience.

GT: Calex dEUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Best thing to do I guess is get fallout 3 goty or borderlands goty. Save money until december or january and pick it up in bargain bin.

Unfortunatly I was right about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

where is everyone getting the 40 euro price tag from, it was 32 euro for me in HMV? mind that was the PC version but still find it hard how anyone would play this on a console.

i'm about 2 hours into the main story and i have to admit i'm enjoying it. i stayed away from all the hype and the reviews and the videos and picked it up. the graphics are amazing the mutants look great when played on a 27inch screen at full 2560*1440 resolution and the frame rate are superb. the large install at first annoyed me as it took 40-50 minutes to install the game but the super fast loading times and the quality of the environments make up for that.

i'm not a hardcore pc gamer as i once was and i only really pick up games now from valve and id, but this is well worth a bash especially as it's like 32 euro in hmv (probably cheaper elsewhere for the pc).

OP if you haven't traded in mw2 and blackops already, do so, both terrible FPS' imo

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Patched fixed my issues with texture pop up and flickering NPC's.

Texture pop is greatly reduced, its only noticable on rare occasions and just after loading the game for the first time.

In about 4 hours. Enjoying it so far.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Kind of debating on wether or not to pick up a copy of this today or not.

Anyone else bought it yet, and opinions?

Would it be work my while trading black ops and mw2 to keep my cost down, (hardly play either anymore)

Thanks for replies.

Its a difficult one to advise as it will really come down to the individual player.

If you are looking for a RPG like Fallout or Borderlands then this will disappoint because its not an RPG the developers didnt make it an RPG.

If you are looking for a straight up FPS it will also disappoint as its not a FPS in the modern day sense either. You won't be funneled down a liner path with weapons appearing in the daftest of places like the awful black ops.

What they have tried to do is create something different sort of an inbetween game it has better graphics and physics than fallout but lacks the sheer size and story, it lacks the all out action of black ops but has much more heart , soul and depth. But you can hardly complain that its not fallout/blackops or borderlands when the developers specifically set out not to create a game comparable to either.

I have it on PS3 the driving, shooting and the movements are perfect, the interactions with the other characters is really good, the graphics are stunning. At the moment i absolutely love it, i haven't enjoyed a game this much in years.

I love the tiny things, when a character is talking to you and you can see individual teeth, their mouth moves with the words so it looks like they are actually talking, the textures all over are amazing i spent an hour just looking at rocks ! They have done well to balance the game so you don't get the huge boring sections walking around like in fallout that artificially buff out the length, they have kept the shooting in specific sections as to not lose the quality of a FPS as anyone that has played an open world rpg game will know shooting is generally crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great game,really enjoying it so far.

where is everyone getting the 40 euro price tag from, it was 32 euro for me in HMV? mind that was the PC version but still find it hard how anyone would play this on a console.

My pc would likely rollover and die if it got within 10 feet of even the box :D 40 euro was for console versions.

They have not been kind with aiming / hit boxes on the consoles at all no assistance or leeway at all . the mission where you have to protect an oil worker with a sniper rifle had me screaming for a mouse and kb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Its a difficult one to advise as it will really come down to the individual player.

If you are looking for a RPG like Fallout or Borderlands then this will disappoint because its not an RPG the developers didnt make it an RPG.

They have done well to balance the game so you don't get the huge boring sections walking around like in fallout that artificially buff out the length, they have kept the shooting in specific sections as to not lose the quality of a FPS as anyone that has played an open world rpg game will know shooting is generally crap.

You say don't expect a RPG, then compare it against one. Of course the shooting is better than Fallout, because Fallout isn't about shooting, Fallout is about the wandering around and exploring etc. By most accounts Rage is extremely linear and basically a corridor shooter. Not saying that's bad, but to compare it against Fallout other than the similar premise is a silly comparison as they're completely different genres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Patch fixed absolutley nothing for me. Still crashes after the intro movie :mad:

Does the jobs board give more jobs over time?I completed them all and I can't do anymore.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    You say don't expect a RPG, then compare it against one. Of course the shooting is better than Fallout, because Fallout isn't about shooting, Fallout is about the wandering around and exploring etc. By most accounts Rage is extremely linear and basically a corridor shooter. Not saying that's bad, but to compare it against Fallout other than the similar premise is a silly comparison as they're completely different genres.

Yea its not an RPG but its far from a corridor shooter either. They have done a good job to mix both to create a very enjoyable game.

I was more using Fallout as a jumping off point that the OP could understand rather than comparing the two games but there are lots of similarities between the two that can been drawn on for comparison. both are set in post apocalyptic worlds where you travel around and explore new encampments, meet new people, scavenge scrap, build make shift weapons and tools out of the scrap, manage an inventory and battle the weird inhabitants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I managed to cancel my steam order of the game and got given a copy by a mate today. Huzzah!

It's not a bad game. Graphics are fairly fantastic for the most part. The gameplay is fun, but doesn't blow me away. It's pretty much a serious version of Borderlands and doesn't add much to that formula. It's entertaining enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

To me it comes across as the game of Mad Max 2. That would be the closest I could put it to.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Patch also fixed my problems.

Bloody great game I have to say. Just love the weapons.

o

I got it on console as i wanted to play it while watching this thread fill up with PC users having issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I got it on console as i wanted to play it while watching this thread fill up with PC users having issues.

ha true, i'm playing the PC version but i've not had any issues at all, guess it's because i'm playing on a mac :pac: </smug>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Yea its not an RPG but its far from a corridor shooter either. They have done a good job to mix both to create a very enjoyable game.

I was more using Fallout as a jumping off point that the OP could understand rather than comparing the two games but there are lots of similarities between the two that can been drawn on for comparison. both are set in post apocalyptic worlds where you travel around and explore new encampments, meet new people, scavenge scrap, build make shift weapons and tools out of the scrap, manage an inventory and battle the weird inhabitants.

That's just the premise though, gameplay wise they're a million mile apart. Sounds to me like Halo ODST is a more apt comparison. Bit of a hub world, leads to missions, etc. Everything I've read from reviews and previews of it has used the words linear, corridor and shooter in close proximity so don't think it's too far a reach to say that. I'm talking about the shooting segments, not the hub world driving around bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's just the premise though, gameplay wise they're a million mile apart. Sounds to me like Halo ODST is a more apt comparison. Bit of a hub world, leads to missions, etc. Everything I've read from reviews and previews of it has used the words linear, corridor and shooter in close proximity so don't think it's too far a reach to say that. I'm talking about the shooting segments, not the hub world driving around bit.

I also hope you don't mean it takes 2+ clips to kill something!!!

Have it waiting to be played, need to spend time with the missus this evening after having a session in Cork this weekend!!!

Advertisement