Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Loving it so far. It's like a great no-frills kill-or-be-killed FPS, with just the right amount of "over world" to keep things interesting. Loving the pace, the weapon balance, the graphics, the driving is good fun and doesn't seem to get boring.

It's not a revolution in game play, it's an id Software game -- best they've had in a long time. Really well polished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Playing it on the PS3. Looks amazing apart from the textures every 2 seconds.

tumblr_lh5ommB6jR1qh6fqvo1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The
    dead city
    is one ****ed up place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Grayditch wrote: »
    Playing it on the PS3. Looks amazing apart from the textures every 2 seconds.

damn straight it looks amazing. and feels, like I'm playing a PS4 title tbh. Astonished how there's not a single frame drop or screen tear, even at 60fps. good on ID for showing it actually is possible on this generation of consoles - but with that next gen feel comes basic everything else like it's some sorta "showcase". Deus Ex coulda done with this engine, conversely everything else deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got it on console as i wanted to play it while watching this thread fill up with PC users having issues.

this shít is getting old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's just the premise though, gameplay wise they're a million mile apart. Sounds to me like Halo ODST is a more apt comparison. Bit of a hub world, leads to missions, etc. Everything I've read from reviews and previews of it has used the words linear, corridor and shooter in close proximity so don't think it's too far a reach to say that. I'm talking about the shooting segments, not the hub world driving around bit.

No thats perfectly fair to say, i said as much in an earlier post as well, they have taken the shooting sections and stuffed them into contained spaces as its easier to develop for that and keep the high quality. Open world sections are notoriously hard for developers as they are so big and have so many variables.

But in saying that when the mission is to go into a building and kill everyone there is only so much you can do within that space. They haven't shied away from that though its a RPG-FPS Hybrid. A solid FPS with that added RPG sections, like getting to Wellsprings and spending ages walking around talking to random people and helping them out is very similar to Megaton (Halo has nothing like that). They always said it would be no where near Skyrim or Fallout in length or story but also said it would offer far more than your standard 6-8 hour non stop FPS.

I think what has happened to Rage is you have the buggy to drive around in, so it can feel like you are just going from one liner shooting section to the next really quickly at times, but you can also walk around the wasteland and discover stuff too. I'm sure if Fallout had a buggy where you just drove to one town, entered it and shot everyone and then drove to the next building and repeated it would feel quite similar.

The
    dead city
    is one ****ed up place :D

Isn't it stunning really creepy place.

I'm enjoying this. The basic action of killing someone is done very well, so the gunfights are a lot of fun. Whatever way the combat feels, it's just classy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Isn't it stunning really creepy place.

yep tis indeed,I'm actually loving this game.nice filler before skyrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Just finished Rage all I can say is what a let down....

• Advertisement

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Just finished Rage all I can say is what a let down....

aw....how come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

aw....how come?

There is no real ending in the game its just stops, as from a story point of view when the game ends you feel as you are halfway through the game.

I'd rate the ending as the second worst in gaming history with Eye of the Beholder being the worst as the developers wouldn't include an extra disk so no ending credits endtro.

Amazing graphics, amazing character design and voice work, ok weapons but lack of hit detection sucks and such a lacklustre story = pick it up cheep during a steam sale imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If you are looking for a straight up FPS it will also disappoint as its not a FPS in the modern day sense either. You won't be funneled down a liner path with weapons appearing in the daftest of places like the awful black ops.

But you are funnelled down a liner path in all the missions. You get to drive from point A to B then back to A but the FPS sections are just as liner as Quake, Wolfinstein, Modern Warfare and 99% of every other FPS game ever made with the only difference being you get to choose extra bonus missions if you wish. While ID make the best corridor style FPS, Rage is still a corridor style FPS at the end of the day.

Venom wrote: »
    But you are funnelled down a liner path in all the missions. You get to drive from point A to B then back to A but the FPS sections are just as liner as Quake, Wolfinstein, Modern Warfare and 99% of every other FPS game ever made with the only difference being you get to choose extra bonus missions if you wish. While ID make the best corridor style FPS is still a corridor style FPS at the end of the day.

See post 307

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but is anyone still waiting on their order from Gamestop? Mine was posted last Thursday (not express) - can't believe it still hasn't arrived! Won't be using gamestop again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just got to Dead City, they nailed the atmosphere here!!!!

I was afraid to move, then once I saw the area open up I dreaded moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Darwin wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but is anyone still waiting on their order from Gamestop? Mine was posted last Thursday (not express) - can't believe it still hasn't arrived! Won't be using gamestop again...

Yeah waiting for this and Dark Souls. Both posted on Thursday - "normal" post. Thought it would arrive today at the latest.

I'm not happy! ;-)

calex71 wrote: »
    Just got to Dead City, they nailed the atmosphere here!!!!

I was afraid to move, then once I saw the area open up I dreaded moving.

It's so good, i got to the area where you are leaving the building and there is a court yard below you and froze to the spot ! Just knew no good would come from entering it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Game is pretty playable now with the patch. Slight pop in's but it's not headache inducing stuff. Really enjoying it. Don't think anything can top ID's shotgun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,460 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So manage to install the game today but what is up with the picture?

You move and a line thru the picture envelopes and the picture at the line is distorted :confused:

edit

This is what im talking about, notice it near the top of the screen, what is that? (btw im on pc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Haven't played PC games in ages but I believe that is screen tear? I think there is usually an option to enable v-sync to prevent it. Don't quote me on that though, should probably wait to hear back from somebody more experienced with pc games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Playing fine for me now and I'm liking it. Although I find it quite like borderlands but slightly smaller. NPC's describe a long trek up north but I'm there in a minute or two even with grinding bandits in to some fine paste.

Some of the ammo types are good, except for the bullets within bullets within bullets for the pistol, that's just a let down but they still remind me of borderlands... "high explosive shotgun rounds? Oh we have that.." They're only missing SMG's that act like flamethrowers.

Overall it's good but I have a thing in the back of my mind from all the reviews and what people have said,.. it's about to end at any minute. Total playtime for single player is supposed to be around the 8 hr mark.

I got over the texture popping eventually. What a game. Shame it's marred with the graphical issues, alright, but still. Focusing on the merits, I'm enjoying the sht out of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Headshot wrote: »
    So manage to install the game today but what is up with the picture?

You move and a line thru the picture envelopes and the picture at the line is distorted :confused:

edit

This is what im talking about, notice it near the top of the screen, what is that? (btw im on pc)

It's screen tearing. Force Vsync in your GPU control panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,460 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

5uspect wrote: »
    It's screen tearing. Force Vsync in your GPU control panel.

Thanks 5uspect that has worked like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Darwin wrote: »

Happened me with the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection. Arrived in the post on the Tuesday.

• Mantel wrote: »
    Playing fine for me now and I'm liking it. Although I find it quite like borderlands but slightly smaller. NPC's describe a long trek up north but I'm there in a minute or two even with grinding bandits in to some fine paste.

Some of the ammo types are good, except for the bullets within bullets within bullets for the pistol, that's just a let down but they still remind me of borderlands... "high explosive shotgun rounds? Oh we have that.." They're only missing SMG's that act like flamethrowers.

Overall it's good but I have a thing in the back of my mind from all the reviews and what people have said,.. it's about to end at any minute. Total playtime for single player is supposed to be around the 8 hr mark.

I've played 6 hours & 50 mins (time taken from game-save), and I'm still only on the first disk. Playing on hard, and completing all side missions, including notice board and races. Theres alot to do if you veer away from the main quests. Don't forget the sewer missions code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

After getting the graphics just perfect (more trouble than it should have been), I'm really enjoying this. I'm about 6 hours in, looks lovely, plays really really nicely, sounds effects are meaty, music is decent, missions are fun. Reaonsably easy even on hard mode, only used the defib 4-5 times. It's way more linear than even I was expecting, but sometimes that can be a good thing. For my open world fix, I'll play Skyrim :)

Just adding, I'm playing on the PC, but as usual with games like these, I play keyboard and mouse for the FPS parts, and 360 controller for the driving. Perfect combination in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Praetorian wrote: »
    Just adding, I'm playing on the PC, but as usual with games like these, I play keyboard and mouse for the FPS parts, and 360 controller for the driving. Perfect combination in my opinion!

Playing on PC too with mouse and keyboard, though I notice the manual says a 360 controller is the recommended way to go. Menu items are obviously (and annoyingly) optimised for it and, as usual, I suspect aiming is a little easier with the mouse. As you said, hard mode doesn't seem to be that much of a challenge. Not so easy that it's a problem but might have expected a bit more difficulty.

Fantastic game tbh. Personally quite happy they didn't add too many RPG elements... as attractive as a big open world game is, that's not why I look forward to id Software games. Walking around and picking up missions is a nice gimmick and works really well here, just glad it hasn't gotten in the way of a great, polished, id Software FPS experience. And seems they've really learnt from the mistakes of Doom 3 (mostly: too dark, too slow).

Really looking forward to Doom 4 on this engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Goodshape wrote: »
    Playing on PC too with mouse and keyboard, though I notice the manual says a 360 controller is the recommended way to go. Menu items are obviously (and annoyingly) optimised for it and, as usual, I suspect aiming is a little easier with the mouse. As you said, hard mode doesn't seem to be that much of a challenge. Not so easy that it's a problem but might have expected a bit more difficulty.

Fantastic game tbh. Personally quite happy they didn't add too many RPG elements... as attractive as a big open world game is, that's not why I look forward to id Software games. Walking around and picking up missions is a nice gimmick and works really well here, just glad it hasn't gotten in the way of a great, polished, id Software FPS experience. And seems they've really learnt from the mistakes of Doom 3 (mostly: too dark, too slow).

Really looking forward to Doom 4 on this engine.

Nightmare isn't exactly a nightmare either, and im on the 360 , lack of mouse is troublesome for sniping missions. Once you play safe and smart , save often you're grand. The enemies either run at you and actively hunt you (shotgun) or hide behind cover (scoped weapon headshots)

Once I got the two
    defib upgrades
    I was a lot less cautious.

Did anyone else buy the half of the binoculars and wonder wtf it was for ???? I was only when I equipped the pistol after running low on other ammo did I learn what it was for , that + fat boys = win

Advertisement