Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I looked at the first 20 minutes of that last video. It looks great, but I hope the whole game doesn't play like this clip. Too many times it was one or two enemies coming from further down the corridor. I'd hope to see them jump out from behind and the flanks to get the player off guard.

Also didn't see any evidence of great AI. In one section (video is down now so can't give the time) the player has 3 bandits on the other side of a door. He lines each of them up to gun down – one at a time – without the others reacting. They should have all rushed him or shifted positions to get the element of surprise.

I like the idea of a more old skool corridor shooter, that is done very well. I just don't want it to get too "corridor".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is this game basically a pure FPS? Or would it be more along the lines of Fallout?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

danthefan wrote: »
    Is this game basically a pure FPS? Or would it be more along the lines of Fallout?

Its a FPS but with elements of fallout I guess?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

danthefan wrote: »

Not too many RPG elements from what I can gather, weapon customisation is about the height of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not too many RPG elements from what I can gather, weapon customisation is about the height of it.

Hmmm, little bit disappointed by that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i wont be popular for this, but Id was always one trick pony.

game will look stuning, but i doubt it will be something momorable.

doom3 was great graphical achievement, but it was quite **** bland shooter.

there was alot of praise for AI, but after few vids, it looked crap.

Pc, will still be best platform though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thats just silly... Nearly every big release from ID(As a developer) has been groundbreaking with maybe just the exception of Doom 3... (Which i still thought was pretty damn good at the time.. scared the bejebus outta me anyway).

They don't make full on games very often.. but most of the time they're excellent... certainly not a one trick pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Same day as Dark Souls, sorry Rage you'll have to wait, probably til next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Is this the game that's been in this season of Breaking Bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Id one trick pony, funny joke.
    Is this the game that's been in this season of Breaking Bad?

Yes, but was some weird modded arcadey ****ty version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

KilOit wrote: »
    Id one trick pony, funny joke.

Yes, but was some weird modded arcadey ****ty version.

Ya and according to Wiki
    it was reported that Breaking Bad will be referenced in-game in three specific ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

But Jesse had ace FPS skills, yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

i wont be popular for this, but Id was always one trick pony.

As a gaming enthusiast you really should give ID the respect they deserve. They defined PC and FPS gaming, without their initial input to gaming we wouldn't be where we are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Big Knox wrote: »
    As a gaming enthusiast you really should give ID the respect they deserve. They defined PC and FPS gaming, without their initial input to gaming we wouldn't be where we are today.

right, i think people dont understand what i am trying to say.

yes, ID introduced us to FPS games, it made it ultimate. Doom 1 and 2, quake 1 and 2 were legendary. i dont know if i can put quake 3 in that list thought. it deffenetly did not had that impact as the others had.

now if we take the pink glasses off, we will see that the last properly good game quake 2 was released in 1997. since then it was mediocore games. fancy graphics, but nothing special. So it is 14 years since anything good from ID, but people still have theyr boners up, lik its 1998...

i was checking Rage development, it looks great, but gameplay looks average at best. I can bet, that Rage will be forgotten very very fast, we will pick up RAGE in bargain bin in 2-3 months.

In my opinions it silly to praise something, that was GOOD almost 15 years ago. Yes it is important company in video gaming industry, but it is not an garantue of quality.

i can already see fanboys jumping on me and saying: HOW DARE YOU! :pac:

relax lads. wait for it, and play it. If its good, thanks ****, if not, then i am not surprised and not disappointed.

right, i think people dont understand what i am trying to say.

yes, ID introduced us to FPS games, it made it ultimate. Doom 1 and 2, quake 1 and 2 were legendary. i dont know if i can put quake 3 in that list thought. it deffenetly did not had that impact as the others had.

now if we take the pink glasses off, we will see that the last properly good game quake 2 was released in 1997. since then it was mediocore games. fancy graphics, but nothing special. So it is 14 years since anything good from ID, but people still have theyr boners up, lik its 1998...

i was checking Rage development, it looks great, but gameplay looks average at best. I can bet, that Rage will be forgotten very very fast, we will pick up RAGE in bargain bin in 2-3 months.

In my opinions it silly to praise something, that was GOOD almost 15 years ago. Yes it is important company in video gaming industry, but it is not an garantue of quality.

i can already see fanboys jumping on me and saying: HOW DARE YOU! :pac:

relax lads. wait for it, and play it. If its good, thanks ****, if not, then i am not surprised and not disappointed.

I'm certainly not an ID fanboy, just saying they deserve respect not to be called a one trick pony.

Also I have to call shenanigans on Quake3 :p It was an amazing game, apart from counter-strike it is the most played competitve FPS ever. It's still played today at the top level and in my opinion the most exciting competitive game to watch.

I do agree with you about Doom3 however, apart from the graphics it was a forgettable experience. The Rage verdict is going to be interesting but I think it's looking very good so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

iD are legends. I may be a total iD fanboy, but even if i wasnt, Doom 3 was still a damn enjoyable game. Its aged really well too. The Quake games were groundbreaking too. And i mean they practically invented the fps genre.

But either way, Rage is looking really good. But i would like to take a bat to the ****ing moron who decided to release it the same day as Dark souls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Don't forget the legion of great FPS games that the Quake3 engine spawned.

Doom3 while pretty at the time hasn't aged well, everything just looks like plastic. ID Tech4 wasn't all that popular of an engine. Gameplay wise it relied heavily on monster closets and got boring quick after a promising opening. From what little I've played of Rage it seemed fun. Hopefully it'll keep that level of fun going throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

5uspect wrote: »
    Don't forget the legion of great FPS games that the Quake3 engine spawned.

Doom3 while pretty at the time hasn't aged well, everything just looks like plastic. ID Tech4 wasn't all that popular of an engine. Gameplay wise it relied heavily on monster closets and got boring quick after a promising opening. From what little I've played of Rage it seemed fun. Hopefully it'll keep that level of fun going throughout.

it still looks good to me! And a straight up shooter with no regenerating health or waist high cover is practically a breath of fresh air nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Ive been keeping an eye on this one for a while but after seeing the episode of breaking bad when jesses playing it, it made me want to get it even more. Now that was a really good marketing idea getting the game on the show. Looking forward to picking it up on friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any reviews out yet?its out in the states tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

any reviews out yet?its out in the states tomorrow.

Haven't seen any yet which may be a cause for concern.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Haven't seen any yet which may be a cause for concern.

A release day embargo is pretty normal for a Bethesda published game so I don't think it can be taken as an indicator to game quality one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I saw it reviewed on playr yesterday.
    They gave it 9/10.
    Their reviews are usually pretty much spot on aswell.

Anyone know exactly what time it's available to play through stream??

Im guessing it won't be at midnight GMT??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

review embargo is 4th of Oct at 5am so start expecting them from tomor. I got my email from bethesda today with the anarchy codes and they said the disk should be here in the morning. I have played the first hour at a media event and its stunning like a gorgeous fallout, but as with everything it takes a good few hour to truely know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

review embargo is 4th of Oct at 5am so start expecting them from tomor. I got my email from bethesda today with the anarchy codes and they said the disk should be here in the morning. I have played the first hour at a media event and its stunning like a gorgeous fallout, but as with everything it takes a good few hour to truely know.

Yeah, I see Eurogamers review will posted tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Big Knox wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly what time it's available to play through stream??

Im guessing it won't be at midnight GMT??

This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 6 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That makes it 1am on Friday, right? (I've been drinking and I'm tired, so that's my excuse for any math fail!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd be more wreary of early 10/10 / "the best game eva!!" reviews than no reviews at all.

I could never get into the post-apoc game genre. Didn't like Fallout 3, I did like Fallout:NV but towards the end I got bored of that. I found Borderlands decent but my interest slowly went on that, too

I'll probably give this a whirl though. It's bloody huge in size, over 20gb :eek:

Advertisement