Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with this. Advanced graphics options are standard in PC games because sometimes your PC is not good enough to run the game at best settings so it's nice to be able to dial it down a bit to get it to run at an acceptible level. Also there can be glitching with older cards with more advanced effects on older cards, I had shader glitches on half-life and Doom 3 for a while until I upgraded. It was nice to be able to turn them off instead of playing everything with luminous purple and green specular highlights.

As an example the video mantel shows is a video ram issue that could be solved by lowering the texture detail, something that is impossible in Rage currently. With how modular PC builds are a decent set of graphical options should be standard for people with slower hardware or graphical issues.

I really don't know why developers don't just put this in stuff from day one, they just leave themselves open to (mostly deserved) abuse. You'd swear if was difficult to develop a UI with sliders/ buttons whose sole purpose is to change a few settings in a text config file. :rolleyes:

EDIT: While the engine does have auto scaling based on available hardware resources (available vram etc), it would be nice to have that on by default but with the option to turn it off and alter the settings yourself. ie Maybe I would like to bump up the detail a bit and settle for 35-40 FPS rather than have the engine automatically aiming for 60FPS on lesser settings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had no graphical issues, Nvidia card owner here. Game is great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Simple and effective comment. Like ! :D

!Quick...add something negative before you get flamed!! "

*Rabble rabble rabble rabble*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Why do people hate when a PC game gets a console port made out of the PC build ?

It's kind of like PC development -> console port -> PC port in the case of Rage. Considering the processing power that PC's have now you'd expect the PC game to at the pinnacle of what the game can do rather than have performance issue or no advanced graphic options.
    "In game development, you have to tailor your gameplay to where you expect people to play it on," Hollenshead revealed.

"So, while we're developing Rage on the PC, we forbid anybody from playing it on a keyboard and mouse until we've played it first on a console controller.

"We pull the keyboard and mouse out and put in a USB 360 controller, even on the development staff. That's not just the testers."

- From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-rage-two-thirds-sales-to-be-on-console

So it was developed with a controller in mind on all systems.

When people see a big budget came coming to all platforms most will assume they'll put the most work in where they the most return, the console market with PC development as an after thought. Deus Ex managed to avoid that mostly. Even Caramak has said that they can do a lot more with the PC version, something we'll hopefully be seeing with future patches.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Simple and effective comment. Like ! :D

!Quick...add something negative before you get flamed!! "

*Rabble rabble rabble rabble*

I don't really feel getting into a debate that's been discussed about 1000 times this year alone on this forum today :)

• Advertisement

You're right too :)
    Im gonna play Civ5 instead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hope I'm not being labled as a negative Nancy :p, I'm still very much looking forward to Friday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Giblet wrote: »
    There's an issue with some drivers, there will definite be a patch soon. Also, you can enable the console to edit settings.

think i'll wait til they patched it or it goes onsale all the same

i have borderlands and spacemarine to keep me company in the meantime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with this.

Really? Oh wow - that's amazing news.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You're right too :)
    Im gonna play Civ5 instead

So you've been consumed by Civ :D

• Advertisement

So you've been consumed by Civ :D

Started 3 days ago .... mindblowingly good :D , started a game with a friend 2 days ago, we are 14 hours in over the last 2 nights, probably finish it tonight after work..and immediately start a new one :)
    BF3 Metro map doesn't get a look in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Really? Oh wow - that's amazing news.

Seriously do you have some kind of console inferiority complex? Give it a rest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Giblet wrote: »
    There's an issue with some drivers, there will definite be a patch soon. Also, you can enable the console to edit settings.

This. AFAIRemember Crysis started the trend for needing to do this to squeeze the proper FPS out of games on the PC for those with lower spec machines. It's not a good trend, but if you get the game working fine it's irrelevant. PC gamers shouldn't be hindered like this though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This. AFAIRemember Crysis started the trend for needing to do this to squeeze the proper FPS out of games on the PC for those with lower spec machines. It's not a good trend, but if you get the game working fine it's irrelevant. PC gamers shouldn't be hindered like this though :pac:

Eh, nope, I had to do it with HL2. It ground my poor pc to a halt

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I mean editing settings using the console due to insufficient menu options. Like Crysis had the whole "Gamer", "Casual" and "Extreme" settings. HL2 had a pretty good options menu, I'd give it 9/10 compared to Crysis's 4/10 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so the god is bleeding after all... maybe its not a god anymore then so? :rolleyes:

now before you jump me, listen out:

everyone were expecting something UNREAL, to raise a bar in video gaming. It still might be okay game, but it does not raise a bar at all, rage drops it.

might pick it up in bargain bin quite soon from what i see. disappointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I mean editing settings using the console due to insufficient menu options. Like Crysis had the whole "Gamer", "Casual" and "Extreme" settings. HL2 had a pretty good options menu, I'd give it 9/10 compared to Crysis's 4/10 :P

HL2 has loads of extra console ones too, some of us love to tweak, it's usually a given for pc gaming. I sometimes got more fun out of tweaking than the actual games :D (here's looking at you Crysis)
    http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/hl2-console-commands/1210/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I had to do it for Half-Life one.

I also remember the shame of my friend trying to get Unreal to run in software mode on my P100. It ran eventually but in a window the size of a stamp and with a single digit framerate. How my friend laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

In relation to some of the poor graphics on AMD/ATI cards - https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/statuses/121248985557118976

Followed up by - https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/statuses/121249111725969408

It's probably a case of drivers playing catch up but hopefully ATI card owners will see some improvements in the next few days for Rage, hopefully just in time for the European release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Big Knox wrote: »
    Seriously do you have some kind of console inferiority complex? Give it a rest!!

Remember kids, PC gaming is serious business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dey see me trolling

Dey hatin

Moderatin

Tryna catch me postin dirty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anyone that ordered online did ye get it yet?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

so the god is bleeding after all... maybe its not a god anymore then so? :rolleyes:

now before you jump me, listen out:

everyone were expecting something UNREAL, to raise a bar in video gaming. It still might be okay game, but it does not raise a bar at all, rage drops it.

might pick it up in bargain bin quite soon from what i see. disappointed :(

On the fence wit this, those video's are a bit worrying even if it is just ATI cards. Although with Dark Souls out friday it was never going to get much play time either way so i'll wait for a few months and see then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

so this is an ATI issue?

FML for getting a ATI card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

so this is an ATI issue?

FML for getting a ATI card

Why does ATI make such cheap next gen cards which turn into duds for certain games, god damnit I knew i should of stuck with nvidi many moons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, nvidia users seems to be somewhat okay today for this game.

Those with ATI (including myself) have been royally screwed over. The game is barely playable for them at the moment with countless amounts of problems with the game.

I'd love to see the figures of how many people dropped out of pre-ordering this after all the shìt that happened today.

So many games detest an ATI card.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Very disappointing, I've got new hardware on the way and an ATI 6950 is a part of that. Was really looking forward to this :( I'm sure it'll be patched, but it's really taken the sheen off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Yea, nvidia users seems to be somewhat okay today for this game.

Those with ATI (including myself) have been royally screwed over. The game is barely playable for them at the moment with countless amounts of problems with the game.

I'd love to see the figures of how many people dropped out of pre-ordering this after all the shìt that happened today.

So many games detest an ATI card.

Tbh I blame ATI at the end of the day. Their cards are regularly caught on this, something iv come to expect over the years.

In fairness to AMD all that has happened is that they rush released a buggy beta performance driver yesterday, it not like Nvidia haven't done the exact same thing from time to time (in fact are probably slighty worse in this regard)

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70457/amd-promises-driver-to-fix-rage-issues-by-end-of

This is why sticking to stable full release drivers is good, regardless of card brand.

EDIT: New patch out already

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm, turns out this could be more than just AMD's fault.

Seems Tech Engine 5's supposed great automatic tweaking for people's machines has failed miserably. People are getting 100% CPU usage and within the game's console it has the machine's specifications all wrong (0Mhz CPU or 0MB GPU :D)

There's so many things wrong with this game along with the textures all blurry and constantly loading to a bug where you have to manually create a folder for the 1gb texture cache in your AppData folder since the game can't seem to create it.

It just seems this game is running awful on a huge amount of people's machines (some of which are utter monster of rigs).

Alot of hatred for id software at the moment.

Advertisement