Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

176956.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just watched totalbiscuits WTF on RAGE...

they are really putting a lot in this ****y driving part of the game... :rolleyes:

he had really good few points on it.

i have to say there are TONS of invisible walls in it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Just watched totalbiscuits WTF on RAGE...

they are really putting a lot in this ****y driving part of the game... :rolleyes:

he had really good few points on it.

i have to say there are TONS of invisible walls in it too.
    such a shame about the pc version getting such stick. The driving bits get much better after the first few driving bits, great game, can't believe its not getting 9 across the board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how are ye all playing it so early?;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Right installed it today and did the performance patch and basically the texture popping won't budge on my machine but my FPS seems to be holding firm. Just gotta mess around with the config files I think to get my GFX doing more work and ill be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anyone receive there order from gamestop yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,460 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anyone receive there order from gamestop yet?

Nope

Very disappointed with gamestop.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Stev_o wrote: »
    Right installed it today and did the performance patch and basically the texture popping won't budge on my machine but my FPS seems to be holding firm. Just gotta mess around with the config files I think to get my GFX doing more work and ill be fine.

How bad is your texture poping Stev_o, mildly irritating or as bad as the worst seen in the vidoes?

Stupid G2Play still won't release my key so I can't even preload yet :(

Headshot wrote: »
    Nope

Very disappointed with gamestop.ie

I emailed them and they only shipped today.

• Advertisement

I emailed them and they only shipped today.

I hope for them that isnt going to be a president

I hope for them that isnt going to be a president

I think I'll stop being lazy and just pre order from the gamestop up the road in future :-P

marco_polo wrote: »
    How bad is your texture poping Stev_o, mildly irritating or as bad as the worst seen in the vidoes?

Stupid G2Play still won't release my key so I can't even preload yet :(

To the point where it would annoy so much as to stop playing the game. It's odd cause my FPS is fine and im not getting any stuttering but literally world textures will pop in and out once i move my FoV away from a section.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

NVidia are pointing the finger at the auto balancer for the texture quality issues.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-06-rage-auto-balancer-causing-pc-problems

must make clear that id Software has not in any way hobbled the PC version of the game, or held back high quality textures," wrote Andrew Burnes, Nvidia's games and technology editor. "Rather, the underlying technology requires refinement to make better use of the 12GB of high quality textures already available, as we conclude later."

"Based on our observations there does appear to be an error or two with the Auto-Balancer," wrote Burnes. "The on-screen frame rate display never moved below Rage's 60 frames-per-second cap with 8k textures enabled, so why does the Auto-Balancer need to utilise lower-resolution assets? Perhaps it's overly-conservative to ensure that the frame rate never fluctuates?"

EDIT: The main article is here (I think Mantel posted the same config file on the previous page) and the fix works for both AMD and NVidia cards.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A generally favorable write up on RPS:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/06/rage-pc-review/

Tbh we are getting to the stage where we are having some great games being released that need a week or so to actually become stable. in-between then though we have the mother of all shouting matches at the dev's for being awful.

The idea of buying a game imo is going to drastically change in 2012. I think a lot of dev teams will be stressing their product as a service rather then a completely finished product on day one (IE you go to the shops you buy a item it's 100% finished in terms of manufacturing, the same concept is becoming harder and harder to do for modern day games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

When that happens, I'm not buying another game day 1 ever until its patched up. It's just being greedy releasing a game, charging full whack for the public to be beta testers and then release the rest later.

They just want the cash early. I say finish the bloody thing first then I'll pay up.

When that happens, I'm not buying another game day 1 ever until its patched up. It's just being greedy releasing a game, charging full whack for the public to be beta testers and then release the rest later.

They just want the cash early. I say finish the bloody thing first then I'll pay up.

Unfortunately while as consumers we all think this it makes absolute no business sense in such a competitive blackhole market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stev_o wrote: »
    Unfortunately while as consumers we all think this it makes absolute no business sense in such a competitive blackhole market.

It'll start to make sense as soon as people cop on and stop buying day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just after completing it, though it was a nightmare figuring out how to get it to run right but I eventually got it and I enjoyed this game for the most part. Took me 8 & 1/2 hours to complete and I took my time with it doing races, sidequests, job boards, wandering around, along with the main quest. I can imagine others squeezing a bit more time out of it, though.

The combat is satisfying and very challenging when the AI flank you. Some of the enemies are athletic little bastards and on a few occasions you go "Oh shìt!" when put in certain situations. Alot of battles are scripted and the classic Id Software traits are there but the action is so fast paced that it really engages you to think fast with your various types of weapons & ammo.

Graphics, for the most part, were beautiful and gameplay ran smooth though I was let down from my ATI card (Mobility Radeon HD 4650) with the random textures appearing on everything (including enemies and NPCs) and the constant texture popping if I ran around a corner or turned too fast. Was really distracting and took away from appreciating the visuals that were supposed to be there. Plus, some textures were of high quality while others looked like they were nabbed from Deus Ex 1 :pac: I had to manually create 2 folders for the texture cache and a config file to tweak this in any way.

Story is a bit shìte but there's plenty of things and tough missions to keep you interested. The racing segments are fun which you can do anytime and include time trials to Mario Kart type races. Plus, have a look around the towns for various games you can play, nothing special but they're nice to take a break away from other elements of the game and to mix things up.

There are problems with the game like collision detection. Plenty of times I came across moments when my rounds would litteraly go through enemies or using the shotgun (my prefered weapon of most games) randomly did nothing to someone close range. Plus, invisible walls are really damn annoying. So many times I'd be shooting through a hole with my rounds bouncing of it while the enemies could shoot me no problem. Don't try and snipe from a crack in a wall / between boxes / between grated fences because you will get caught out and the enemies can shoot you through them. The best part of the game was
    Dead City which I didn't get to see enough of considering all of the great battles that are there

It's no free-roaming game like Fallout or Borderlands, it is essentially a linear game on a wider scale.

As good as the AI is, and it is very good, it doesn't take long to learn how to easily trick them or learn their patterns, however random they try to shake it up. Though they are nimble and smart when they want to and will easily catch you off gaurd plenty of times.

Also
    the ending is pure and utter shìte. I knew it was coming soon when I got the big-ass gun (with BFG ammo) but it litteraly just ended. Considering all of the epic battles I had it was incredibly underwhelming and easy.

Overall, it is a good game if you can get it to run. I'm not a big fan of post-apoc games like the Fallout series or Borderlands but I actually enjoyed this almost all the way through. I didn't get to appreciate the 25gb size so it was an overkill for me. The engine is quite an interesting concept and it does run pretty well on my mid-range machine but it really needs to be tweaked more.

Id Software step outside of their comfort zone (not by too much, mind) and have created an enjoyable and fast-paced action game.

• Advertisement

• Duggy747 wrote: »
    Just after completing it, though it was a nightmare figuring out how to get it to run right but I eventually got it and I enjoyed this game for the most part. Took me 8 & 1/2 hours to complete and I took my time with it doing races, sidequests, job boards, wandering around, along with the main quest. I can imagine others squeezing a bit more time out of it, though.

The combat is satisfying and very challenging when the AI flank you. Some of the enemies are athletic little bastards and on a few occasions you go "Oh shìt!" when put in certain situations. Alot of battles are scripted and the classic Id Software traits are there but the action is so fast paced that it really engages you to think fast with your various types of weapons & ammo.

Graphics, for the most part, were beautiful and gameplay ran smooth though I was let down from my ATI card (Mobility Radeon HD 4650) with the random textures appearing on everything (including enemies and NPCs) and the constant texture popping if I ran around a corner or turned too fast. Was really distracting and took away from appreciating the visuals that were supposed to be there. Plus, some textures were of high quality while others looked like they were nabbed from Deus Ex 1 :pac: I had to manually create 2 folders for the texture cache and a config file to tweak this in any way.

Story is a bit shìte but there's plenty of things and tough missions to keep you interested. The racing segments are fun which you can do anytime and include time trials to Mario Kart type races. Plus, have a look around the towns for various games you can play, nothing special but they're nice to take a break away from other elements of the game and to mix things up.

There are problems with the game like collision detection. Plenty of times I came across moments when my rounds would litteraly go through enemies or using the shotgun (my prefered weapon of most games) randomly did nothing to someone close range. Plus, invisible walls are really damn annoying. So many times I'd be shooting through a hole with my rounds bouncing of it while the enemies could shoot me no problem. Don't try and snipe from a crack in a wall / between boxes / between grated fences because you will get caught out and the enemies can shoot you through them. The best part of the game was
    Dead City which I didn't get to see enough of considering all of the great battles that are there

It's no free-roaming game like Fallout or Borderlands, it is essentially a linear game on a wider scale.

As good as the AI is, and it is very good, it doesn't take long to learn how to easily trick them or learn their patterns, however random they try to shake it up. Though they are nimble and smart when they want to and will easily catch you off gaurd plenty of times.

Also
    the ending is pure and utter shìte. I knew it was coming soon when I got the big-ass gun (with BFG ammo) but it litteraly just ended. Considering all of the epic battles I had it was incredibly underwhelming and easy.

Overall, it is a good game if you can get it to run. I'm not a big fan of post-apoc games like the Fallout series or Borderlands but I actually enjoyed this almost all the way through. I didn't get to appreciate the 25gb size so it was an overkill for me. The engine is quite an interesting concept and it does run pretty well on my mid-range machine but it really needs to be tweaked more.

Id Software step outside of their comfort zone (not by too much, mind) and have created an enjoyable and fast-paced action game.

FS - 8 1/2 hours. I thought this game was a 20 hour plus?? Is there difficulty levels (I.E. Easy - Medium - Hard)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    FS - 8 1/2 hours. I thought this game was a 20 hour plus?? Is there difficulty levels (I.E. Easy - Medium - Hard)?

i have to agree: 8 hours is a joke.

and the icing on that: no proper multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i have to agree: 8 hours is a joke.

and the icing on that: no proper multiplayer.

SO no co-op campaign ? Just races for multiplayer and one achievement tied to that from what I saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Definitely not 20 hour, you could probably push 12-15 completing all the races and getting into fights with other vehicles out in the open. I didn't bother completing all of them or hang around for many fights out in the wasteland.

There are difficulty levels (easy, normal, hard). I played on Normal first and found it easy but it does get alot harder throughout the game. You can change the difficulty anytime in the menu.

You have a defib, too, which can bring you back to life but it recharges very slowly.
    calex71 wrote: »
    SO no co-op campaign ? Just races for multiplayer and one achievement tied to that from what I saw?

FAQ about co-op here. 9 missions catered for co-op play.

Duggy747 wrote: »

FAQ about co-op here. 9 missions catered for co-op play.

I'm agast , I mean seriously there was plenty to base it on even if they copied other games. Either put it in or cut it out but they decided to keep one foot in and one out it seems :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fired it up this morning for a few minutes. Got a little bit of pop in so I tried a few of the configuration files which seemed to make it worse. Also got a good bit of tearing.
    I'll sit down tonight and get it working.

I'm running:
    i7 920 D0 at stock speeds.
    6GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3
    evga GTX 570 HD SC

HMV are selling it for consoles for the very reasonable price of €41.99, cost me €2.99 after trading in dead island :)

still haven't recieved mine from gamestop :(

still haven't recieved mine from gamestop :(

me too

Im very cross tbh

Gamestop told me that I was guaranteed this game today but hasnt come in the post

very disappointing from gamestop

• Advertisement

me too

Im very cross tbh

Gamestop told me that I was guaranteed this game today but hasnt come in the post

very disappointing from gamestop

I went with express,payed an extra fiver -_-,did you go with express?

Advertisement