Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,460 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I went with express,payed an extra fiver -_-,did you go with express?

edit

good news Iv been told its delivered by courier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Be a little bit more patient, it comes by courier, could come in the afternoon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Healium wrote: »
    Be a little bit more patient, it comes by courier, could come in the afternoon

Came just there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

got it working in the end, what a difference a day makes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Steam is now telling me the steam key is invalid,what to do?

• Advertisement

nevermind got it working,was entering in sti-rage-uk as well which was above the code :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

got it working in the end, what a difference a day makes!

did they patched it? or did the author of video, was fecking around himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice and all as it looks I think this is going to have to be a New Year bargain bin purchase. There's just too many games and not enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

did they patched it? or did the author of video, was fecking around himself?

No, its my video. They updated the rage performance patch to support the ATI 4000 series, which fixed all the problems. also using a tweaked config and enabling the cache folders to prevent pop in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only played it for a while earlier (xbox), admittedly on a co-op mission, but to me something feels very wrong with the gunplay in this. It's like you are ploughing bullets into enemies and have no sense of doing any damage or if they get close during a reload melee 9/10 is useless, even when it does connect a simple thing like a vibration from the pad is absent.

Going to start single player in a bit but already I have a bad taste in my mouth from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

No, its my video. They updated the rage performance patch to support the ATI 4000 series, which fixed all the problems. also using a tweaked config and enabling the cache folders to prevent pop in

Any chance you could just paste what you did ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have a 4000 ATI card (Mobility HD 4650) so here's the tweaks I did under Windows 7:

*Make sure you can view hidden folders in your folder options*

Press Start, click on your username, click Appdata, click Local.

If it's not there create a folder called id software, inside that create another folder called rage. This is where the 1gb texture cache will be created since the game can't seem to create the folder itself for some reason.

Next, you need to create a config file so you can tweak the game. Open Notepad and put whichever one in it.
    seta com_videoRam "1024" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
    seta com_maxfps "60" //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
    seta image_anisotropy "16" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
    seta image_usecompression 0
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
    seta image_preload "1" //Use preload images when ever possible
    seta image_lodbias "-1" //LoD settings
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
    seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
    seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
    seta image_cacheMegs "1024" //Cache size in Megabytes
    seta image_cacheMinK "10" //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
    seta r_aspectRatio "2" // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
    seta r_fullscreen "1"
    //seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
    //seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
    seta r_swapInterval 1 //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
    seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1" //Fore High Quality post proccessing
    seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
    seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
    seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
    seta r_multiSamples "32" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
    seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion
    seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
    seta r_visDistMult "1"
    seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
    seta r_skipBump "0"
    seta r_skipSpecular "0"
    seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
    seta r_shadows "1"
    seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
    seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
    seta vt_lodBias "-1" //LoD settings
    //below is cache settings And advanced GFX settings
    seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
    seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
    seta vt_maxPPF 64 //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
    seta vt_preload "1"
    seta vt_filter "GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    seta vt_envf "GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE"
    seta vt_blend "GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    seta vt_useCache "1"
    seta vt_cacheMegs "1024"
    seta vt_cacheMinK "10"
    seta vt_ignoreHighQuality "0"
    seta vt_ignoreLowQuality "1"
    seta vt_maxaniso 4 //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures
    seta com_videoRam "1024" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
    seta com_maxfps "60" //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
    seta image_anisotropy "8" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
    seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
    seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
    seta r_fullscreen "1"
    seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
    seta r_multiSamples "16" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
    seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion
    seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
    seta r_visDistMult "1"
    seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
    seta r_skipBump "0"
    seta r_skipSpecular "0"
    seta r_shadows "1"
    seta vt_maxPPF 16 //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
    seta vt_preload "1"
    seta vt_useCache "1"
    seta vt_cacheMegs "1024"
    seta vt_cacheMinK "10"
    seta vt_ignoreHighQuality "0"
    seta vt_ignoreLowQuality "1"
    seta vt_maxaniso 4 //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures
    seta image_anisotropy "2" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
    seta image_filter "GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
    seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
    seta image_ignoreLowQuality "0" //ignores the low textures
    seta r_fullscreen "1"
    seta r_shadowsHighQuality "0" //Fore High Quality shadows
    seta r_multiSamples "8" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
    seta r_useHBAO "0" //Ambient occlusion
    seta r_visDistMult "1"
    seta r_useMotionBlur "0" //use blur
    seta r_skipBump "0"
    seta r_skipSpecular "0"
    seta r_shadows "0"
    seta vt_maxPPF 8 //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
    seta vt_preload "1"
    seta vt_useCache "1"
    seta vt_cacheMegs "1024"
    seta vt_cacheMinK "10"
    seta vt_ignoreHighQuality "1"
    seta vt_ignoreLowQuality "0"
    seta vt_maxaniso 2 //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures

Click Save As...
    Name it RageConfig.cfg
    Change filetype to ALL

Now just plonk the file in the base folder of where it's installed, normally Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base

If the game is freezing and stuttering every 5 seconds and is practically unplayable then disable Catalyst AI in your Catalyst Control Settings.

That's pretty much all I did. I chose the Mid-range settings and the game ran perfectly for me bar the random texture stream bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did you install the Performance Drivers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Stev_o wrote: »
    Did you install the Performance Drivers?

I installed them over the existing drivers but was getting the black squares and other corruption. (I didn't try it first with the existing drivers so it may have been like that beforehand). However once I ran driver sweeper and reinstalled it was fine. Now I only played for maybe 10 minutes last night but I can't say I noticed any texture popping at all, my only problem that I can see is slightly irritating screen tear.

Gonna try the config file and cache now to see if that makes it even better

Oh I've a HD4870 BTW.

EDIT: Applied the mid range file, cache and had another go there. There is some pop in if I turn around instantly and the occasional glitch near the screen edges. Doesn't feel completely smooth either will have to keep experimenting.

EDIT 2: All working fine now with the Mid Range File and caching (I misspelt the config file which is why it wasn't working properly /facepalm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

New drivers coming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Bleh, finally got to fire it up today and getting gliches and stuff disappering for a second and reappearing, Hager was floating in the air a few times at the start, it's too annoying to play and I even updated to the newest ATI drivers :/ using dual 5700's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Runs fine for me once I added the cache folder, no more texture pop in. But I'm getting awful screen tearing regardless of enabling vsync in the launcher or in the nV control panel.

EDIT: Fixed, there is a new rage.exe profile added that has vsync forced off ignoring the global setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have no audio in game. The cinematic at the start has audio.

Using ATI 5850 with latest drivers. Sound goes through card's HDMI port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have no audio in game. The cinematic at the start has audio.

This reminded me that I forgot to mention what happened to me at the end of the game. The ending cinematic came on with audio but no picture.

I sat there looking at a black screen waiting for it to kick up but then the credits came. Had to go to Youtube for it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Kind of debating on wether or not to pick up a copy of this today or not.

Anyone else bought it yet, and opinions?

Would it be work my while trading black ops and mw2 to keep my cost down, (hardly play either anymore)

Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Was wondering this myself. Here's a link to the metacritic page if you want to read a few reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/rage

Very mixed.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Very disappointing (PC) release from id, particularly considering their heritage. It has console written all over it and currently feels like a shoddy port. Despite all of the fixes and workarounds, I still suffer horribly from texture lag. The fixes just screw up my FPS and still don't eliminate the texture problems. New drivers don't really help. Hopefully a patch will arrive soon.

I'll reserve judgement on the game itself, which actually looks like a lot of fun from what I've played of it so far.

I'm playing it, put about 90 minutes into the main story on Nightmare, which so far isnt to hard but I haven't done much yet. Co-Op is utter tripe though. My initial horror about the combat being wrong and not feeling right may have been down to lag in multiplayer, feels better in single player.

I really don't want to make a call on the game just yet as I'm not that far into it, but so far it's a beggers fallout / borderlands. Better looking than both but minus the soul and humor they had. It's also more a straight up shooter than either of those, and the quests are the same as those games too.

One minor annoyance so far is the lack of a map in game or maybe i'll get one later or maybe there just isn't a need for one as there might not be any back tracking required :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Did you create the cache folders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I've done every single fix that's on the internet and I still can't play it. After the intro movie the game starts but it's running at like 1 frame per 10 seconds or something :mad:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

5uspect wrote: »
    Did you create the cache folders?

Yeah. I did everything suggested on that tweak thread on Steam forums I think it was - the folders, the cfg file, the lot. It's an improvement but still not great.

id seem to be blaming it on drivers but the new ati ones make bugger all difference. For me anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Played a few hours of it.

Texture pop in is my only issue and I describe it as a minor to moderate problem.

Happens mostly just at the edges of the screen but every now and then a face paced turn sees a much bigger section of the screen require the textures to load in. The game isn't too fast paced and its less of an issue when driving. I can live with it at the moment but I hope its fixed soon.

After that game is running sliky smooth for me. Frame rate feels very smooth, at 1920x1200 with 4xAA. Did some thinking to the FOV and set Ansitropic flitering to 16. Used riva tuner to force V-sync. Did the cache folder tweak as a well as a few others too. Installed ATI rage drivers and defraged the HD its installed on. (Did this all before playing it even once) No laging with the mouse.

Hardware is
    Intel Q8400 at 2.7Ghz
    ATI HD 6870 1GB
    4GB Ram
    Raptor 150GB HD
    Windows 7 Ultimate (with service pack and all updates)

Graphically bar the above mentioned problem it is excellent. Character models are fantastic.

Gameplay its pretty good so far. Its a very pretty corridor shooter with good weapons and interesting A.I. Not much of a story so far. Just side quests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm playing it, put about 90 minutes into the main story on Nightmare, which so far isnt to hard but I haven't done much yet. Co-Op is utter tripe though. My initial horror about the combat being wrong and not feeling right may have been down to lag in multiplayer, feels better in single player.

I really don't want to make a call on the game just yet as I'm not that far into it, but so far it's a beggers fallout / borderlands. Better looking than both but minus the soul and humor they had. It's also more a straight up shooter than either of those, and the quests are the same as those games too.

One minor annoyance so far is the lack of a map in game or maybe i'll get one later or maybe there just isn't a need for one as there might not be any back tracking required :confused:

Cheers Calex.

Don't think I'll bother with it now tbh, if your review had of been more of a 'go get this game NOW!' kinda review, I'd be in HMV buying it now!

€45 now going to beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The 360 version is already €38 delivered on Amazon. Deus Ex HR is the same, price of that dropped like the stock markets.

I was on the fence about Rage, but seeing how cheap its got and that it seems a solid shooter and the fact I don't care about MP in FPS game, I reckon I will pick it up, plus it's one of the best looking games to hit this gen of consoles so far.

So many games lately though. DE:HR, GoW3, now Rage, next week I have Forza 4 pre-ordered and the new Ace Combat. Then BF3 and Skyrim. Epic few months of gaming.

At times like this I wish I was unemployed again, or at least 3 day short time weeks.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Cheers Calex.

Don't think I'll bother with it now tbh, if your review had of been more of a 'go get this game NOW!' kinda review, I'd be in HMV buying it now!

€45 now going to beer!

It's 41.99 in HMV and with the money they where offering for trade in of dead island I couldn't refuse.

But yeah, it's not a bad game by any means just not a great game, I might have been unfair comparing it to Borderlands or Fallout as they were different games in their own right, but even so they did post-apocalypse much better too.

For me it being a straight up shooter with quests isn't enough, it feels like it's crying out for a level up system or going the bulletstorm arcade route and giving points for kills or something just to add more life to it, it just feels like it's missing something.

Advertisement