Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging outside Sallins

Options
  • 27-01-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I see there's some serious digging being done just outside Sallins towards Straffan, it looked like a pretty serious project! Anyone know what its about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

shamtastic wrote: »
    I see there's some serious digging being done just outside Sallins towards Straffan, it looked like a pretty serious project! Anyone know what its about?

was also wondering about this. There is some major earth moving going on now for a couple of weeks. Surely they are not building houses again. The ones across the road are not sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jrsallins

Yes I'm also wondering what is going on beside Straffan Way Sallins ???
    Seems to be a lot of digging going on.
    Surely it couldn't be more houses or apartments.
    Although you never know what the council gave planning permission for :confused::confused:

No need for ANY MORE houses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

New building project going up. I believe it includes duplex units as well as four bedroom houses, very large development too.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

thank you so much for starting this thread!
    I was dying of the curiosity...

There seems to be an old ruin down their too, probably a mill or something

BUT I'm so disappointed its just more houses. Sure, straffan way is still half empty and nothing should be built with a road in such a state. :mad: Seriously dangerous potholes.
    Id complain about the traffic increase except there is nobody around to by houses:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Who do they intend to sell them to?

• Advertisement

thank you so much for starting this thread!
    I was dying of the curiosity...

There seems to be an old ruin down their too, probably a mill or something

BUT I'm so disappointed its just more houses. Sure, straffan way is still half empty and nothing should be built with a road in such a state. :mad: Seriously dangerous potholes.
    Id complain about the traffic increase except there is nobody around to by houses:rolleyes:

The ruin is the old sugar factory. From kildare.ie "...remains of an attempt by a German national to build a sugar - factory about the time of the First World War. The enterprise failed but the building is noted as one of the first to use reinforced concrete." As far as I am aware the ruin is remaining intact within the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Who do they intend to sell them to?

NAMA:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Helpful Engineer

niallon wrote: »
    The ruin is the old sugar factory. From kildare.ie "...remains of an attempt by a German national to build a sugar - factory about the time of the First World War. The enterprise failed but the building is noted as one of the first to use reinforced concrete." As far as I am aware the ruin is remaining intact within the estate.

I wrote a blog post about this ruin, sallins sugar factory. It turns out all is not what is seems. It isn't Ireland's first RC building. Heres the link.
    http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2011/01/sallins-sugar-factory/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

I've only just seen this thread. I was only wondering about that old ruin last week! On our way back from Whitechurch ruins (well worth a visit, doesn't seem great at first until you find the stone stairway), we passed along where the digging was taking place. Glad I came on here! :)

Thanks for the info!

Taking their time aren't they?

I hope they just widen the road and leaving it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

it would be some road! have u seen the scale of the digging? :D

smurfet2 wrote: »
    it would be some road! have u seen the scale of the digging? :D

Yes...you obviously haven't seen my driving :P

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭paddy111199

Any update as to what is happening here? Did the new development start??

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I always got the feeling that they only did the site clearance etc to keep planning permission alive....it was granted c2006 and would last for 5 years. Reckon they did the least amount possible to keep the planning alive until economy picks up.

All thats being done here nowadays is landscaping and there's a man keeping his horses in the field. I live across the road from it and I'm getting well and truly sick of the "driveway to nowhere" being used as a pull in for any and every car coming down the road, always someone pulled in opposite my driveway now thanks to this mess of a development

Advertisement