Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50mm or no - ** Post #46 Mod Note **

• 27-01-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Background:
    I have a D90, 19-105 and sigma 70-300 (old lens not great, rarely use)

I am tempted to save for (yes, cash is that slim!) the 50mm 1.8.
    Not overly sure what I'd use it for, except I have seen sample photos online from the lens and I'd love to take something similar!

So basically, why should I, or shouldn't I get it? There is no saving for the 1.4 or anything else, its this or no (unless I've missed something at the same price range).
    Is it a bad idea with a crop sensor D90? does it take good photos in your experience? what do you use it for? Pro's and con's etc!

All replies welcome, you don't need to own it to have an opinion :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

No. Get the 35mm f/1.8 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

am I right in saying that's an extra €100? really not in the budget at all!

It's basically stick with what I have and make do, or get something around the 50mm 1.8 mark and branch out, if its any good / worth it.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great little lens. Excellent for portraits and general shooting. Just as sharp as lenses quadruple the price. You can't go wrong.

35mm f/1.8 would give you that extra width but it's almost twice the price.

alexlyons wrote: »

It's basically stick with what I have and make do, or get something around the 50mm 1.8 mark and branch out, if its any good / worth it.. :)

If you're saving for the 50mm, surely you can just save for twice as long to get the twice-as-expensive 35mm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

WITHDRAW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Does the D90 have an autofocus motor? I bought a 50mm 1.8 for my D40 and thought, ah sure i'll just manual focus, used it about twice. Must stick it on adverts ;) if you're interested OP

Yeah, D90 has the AF motor. Stick it up, might buy it myself!

It is about the easiest lens in the world to manual focus though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah, D90 has the AF motor. Stick it up, might buy it myself!

It is about the easiest lens in the world to manual focus though really.

It is, the dof helps, but to be honest I have no use for it personally. Ill drop you a PM when I stick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

charybdis wrote: »
    No. Get the 35mm f/1.8 instead.

I totally agree! Save save save!!!

I have a D90 as well and this is a beautiful lens on this camera. I got to borrow one for a little while and it was fantastic. I deffo want one now.

35mm on crop sensor is the equivalent to a 50mm on full frame. So I guess if you were hoping to achieve similar images to the ones you have seen online this would be the one for you.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 and tbh I barely use it, I tend to use my 18-105. However the few times I have it is sharp, clear and is amazing for portraits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Pure curiousity as to why a 35mm is being recommended so highly as I generally only use primes on SLR's. A 24, a 50 and a 135 and have always found that the ones in between leave me wanting either more or (mostly) less.

What's the big advantage of a 35mm? Ok it'll give you wide...so why not a 24?

I'm really asking out of ignorance here and not stating a knowledgable preference.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Pure curiousity as to why a 35mm is being recommended so highly as I generally only use primes on SLR's. A 24, a 50 and a 135 and have always found that the ones in between leave me wanting either more or (mostly) less.

I'm really asking out of ignorance here and not stating a knowledgable preference.

Most DSLRs use an image sensor that is smaller than a typical 35mm film negative. This smaller sensor means that the focal length of lenses are longer relative to the diameter (and length and height) than they would be relative to the dimensions of a piece of 35mm film, which means that the have a smaller angle-of-view on smaller sensor cameras; effectively appearing to be longer lenses.

In order to make talking about focal lengths for crop-sensor DSLRs manageable, they are often translated into equivalent focal lengths in terms of 35mm film cameras. As the sensor sizes are fixed relative to each other, this can be done with a multiplier (usually around 1.5x) to better understand the angle-of-view of a lens of a given focal length on a crop sensor camera in terms of what its angle-of-view would be on a 35mm film camera.

tl;dr: 35mm on a crop-sensor DSLR is equivalent to a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

edit: That said, I also like the 35mm focal length on 35mm film cameras, although that's not why I recommended this 35mm lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Its the crop factor on 95% of peoples cameras. 50mm works out to be 75mm on nikon and either 65mm or 80mm depending on what Canon sensor you have.

The 35mm equates nicely to near 50mm focal length on a 35mm camera/full frame so thats the big appeal for it.

I actually do want a 35mm f/2. Sometimes the 50mm is a bit too long/tight for me, well it was in London witht he type of shots I was taking. I found my Yashica T5 with its 35mm lens was near perfect.

In an ideal world I'd have the 24mm 1.4 and the 35mm. small fast primes are so less intimidating that the 24-70.

There is no saving for the 1.4 or anything else, its this or no (unless I've missed something at the same price range).

In this case the 50mm is a fine choice. Doesn't really matter what's better than it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Because it has recently been released as a Prime Standard Lens for a DX sensor camera. It will give the same field of view as the 50mm on an FX sensor.

What I like about my Nifty Fifty.

Sharp as a pin. Exceptional quality lens.
    Very fast (though not the fastest of course)
    Lovely for shallow DoF shots
    Inexpensive.

What I don't like about my Nifty Fifty

I tend to shoot Wide and on a DX Sensor it's a mid telephoto
    When I shoot long it's not long enough.

So.... if you have need of a fast sharp mid telephoto prime then go for it. If not then save for something you will use. The Nifty Fifty will produce lovely images and if it suits you then it's probably the cheapest lens you will ever buy. No matter the cost if you don't use it then it's expensive.

Maybe borrow one and see how it suits you.

Ah rightyohso...see I've a digital LeicaM9 that's essentially a point and shoot but gives (as far as I can figure) a full frame snap. I don't like the camera and don't/won't use it but since I've had it I've always thought that a dSLR (of any kind) was giving a bigger size frame.

Anyway...probably what I said doesn't make sense but...

OP go with the 35 for sure! (probably).

I might be wrong, but the 35mm is DX only? If you ever do plan to go FX, you can still use the 50mm. Given the money, for my D90, i'd go with the 35mm too, but the 50mm can be got a lot easier used, for dirt cheap. Nobody ever seems to sell on their 35mm primes, which does say a lot about how great a lens they are.

CabanSail wrote: »
    What I like about my Nifty Fifty.

Sharp as a pin. Exceptional quality lens.
    Very fast (though not the fastest of course)
    Lovely for shallow DoF shots
    Inexpensive.

What I don't like about my Nifty Fifty

I tend to shoot Wide and on a DX Sensor it's a mid telephoto
    When I shoot long it's not long enough.

So.... if you have need of a fast sharp mid telephoto prime then go for it. If not then save for something you will use. The Nifty Fifty will produce lovely images and if it suits you then it's probably the cheapest lens you will ever buy. Then no matter the cost if you don't use it then it's expensive.

Sums it up perfectly!!! For me I wish instead of buying the 50mm I had waited and bought a 35mm.

Ever considered selling the lens you barely use to fund the other??

I might be wrong, but the 35mm is DX only? If you ever do plan to go FX, you can still use the 50mm. Given the money, for my D90, i'd go with the 35mm too, but the 50mm can be got a lot easier used, for dirt cheap. Nobody ever seems to sell on their 35mm primes, which does say a lot about how great a lens they are.

The 35mm 1.8 is DX. On my D3 wide open you get light falloff which is more or less noticable depending on how bright or dark your scene is. anything beyond 2.8 or smaller you really start to see the definition of the smaller image circle around the edged and by f/11 its totally unuseable unless you crop (which negates it being a 35mm lens then).

The Nikon 35mm f/2 is useable on both DX and FX but is more expensive, better made than the plastic 35mm 1.8 DX and is futureprofing yourself if you ever go full frame that you wont have to sell/upgrade your 35mm.

The 35mm 1.8 is brilliant on a DX sensor.

Ah rightyohso...see I've a digital LeicaM9 that's essentially a point and shoot but gives (as far as I can figure) a full frame snap. I don't like the camera and don't/won't use it but since I've had it I've always thought that a dSLR (of any kind) was giving a bigger size frame.

Anyway...probably what I said doesn't make sense but...

OP go with the 35 for sure! (probably).

The M9 has a sensor that is the same size as a 35mm film frame so focal lengths don't have to be thought about in terms of equivalence to 35mm fil
    as they're identical. It seems like an extremely nice camera if you like rangefinders and digital photography. What don't you like about it?

No there is a 35mm f/2 that is for FX.

• Advertisement

When I bought the D90, the seller had a 35mm attached to it for me to try [though I of course had brought my own lens] - I got a little excited, thinking I'd missed something and the lens was coming with! Not a chance though. I will get one at some stage. If I ever do go FX the 35mm will make the D90 that bit juicier for selling on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pete4130 wrote: »
    The 35mm 1.8 is brilliant on a DX sensor.

I got one recently and I love it. Fantastic little lens.

charybdis wrote: »
    The M9 has a sensor that is the same size as a 35mm film frame so focal lengths don't have to be thought about in terms of equivalence to 35mm fil
    as they're identical. It seems like an extremely nice camera if you like rangefinders and digital photography. What don't you like about it?

Ah that makes sense as it was dead on when compared to other film cameras I've got.
    Don't like? Ehmmmm, just don't like using digital, plays too easily to my weaknesses (of which I've many). It's a nice camera alright but I just prefer losing an Olympus Trip. My 7 year old uses it now mostly but she prefers her Samsung as it has a video function on it but her pics on the Leica are definately much better.

Zillah wrote: »
    I got one recently and I love it. Fantastic little lens.

Jealous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Background:
    I have a D90, 19-105 and sigma 70-300 (old lens not great, rarely use)

I am tempted to save for (yes, cash is that slim!) the 50mm 1.8.
    Not overly sure what I'd use it for, except I have seen sample photos online from the lens and I'd love to take something similar!

So basically, why should I, or shouldn't I get it? There is no saving for the 1.4 or anything else, its this or no (unless I've missed something at the same price range).
    Is it a bad idea with a crop sensor D90? does it take good photos in your experience? what do you use it for? Pro's and con's etc!

All replies welcome, you don't need to own it to have an opinion :)

For digital I have the same set up, but I do have the 50mm f/1.8. I use for portraits and as a general walk about lens.

I would have to say I would like the 35mm dx lens but I will not buy a lens that only works on one of my cameras. The 18-105mm kit lens is fine but just doesn't work on my film bodies.

If you can wait (save longer) and only have the one camera and are not going to be upgrading to a FF or picking up a film body, by all means pick up the 35mm. It is supposed to be a fine lens.

These are 2 shots with the 35mm 1.8 on my D3. In the first one, shot at 1.8 and +1EV you can still see the light fall off even though I've corrected it a little.

The second shot, because the corners are dark it makes little to no difference there is light falloff.

5164622111_54dbd2d350_z.jpg

5063631326_af52e127c2_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You had to include the first shot for pure embarrassment value.

CabanSail wrote: »
    You had to include the first shot for pure embarrassment value.

Wow! I guess he did....... :o:o

in my defence, it is the only shot I had taken with the 35mm 1.8 @ 1.8

The foreground is really distracting though.....the blue salt container is just off putting

(.)(.)

EDIT: 2000 posts!

• Advertisement

I would have to say I would like the 35mm dx lens but I will not buy a lens that only works on one of my cameras. The 18-105mm kit lens is fine but just doesn't work on my film bodies.

I kinda feel the same way but I guess the flip side is could always sell any DX lenses to fund FX lenses if/when the time came. But as mentioned before there is a 35mm f/2 lens that will work on both FX and DX.

Just googled prices and it's only bout £90 more so I think I will be saving for that.

NooSixty wrote: »
    I kinda feel the same way but I guess the flip side is could always sell any DX lenses to fund FX lenses if/when the time came. But as mentioned before there is a 35mm f/2 lens that will work on both FX and DX.

Just googled prices and it's only bout £90 more so I think I will be saving for that.

I am currently doing the same. Saving for a lens, either the 35mm f/2 or if money falls from heaven the 24mm f/1.4.

I am currently doing the same. Saving for a lens, either the 35mm f/2 or if money falls from heaven the 24mm f/1.4.

there is also the 35mm f/1.4...... drool

(if only I was rich then I could have them all :p)

NooSixty wrote: »
    there is also the 35mm f/1.4...... drool

(if only I was rich then I could have them all :p)

With my cropped sensor I would prefer the 24mm. I always seem to need/want that little bit wider.

(Gotta catch'em all)

All this 35mm talk is off topic really, as op specifically states "50 or no" and since you guys hate off topic so much . . . There are arguments for other primes too. Some can't live without an 85mm. But since the question is straight forward, I say get the 50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've a digital LeicaM9
    when did you win the lotto?

• Advertisement

I had a look on line and with Jessops UK example they have the 50mm 1.8 listed at £105 and the 35mm 1.8 listed at £162.

So really only looking at bout £50 more for a much nicer lens for that camera.

All this 35mm talk is off topic really, as op specifically states "50 or no" and since you guys hate off topic so much . . . There are arguments for other primes too. Some can't live without an 85mm. But since the question is straight forward, I say get the 50.

Not really off topic in the slightest. When a 35mm equates to approx a 50mm then I fail to see how you think its off topic?

All the choices above (1.4, 1.8 f/2) are all different options that people have put forward.

I say on a crop sensor, you'll get much better use and value form the 35mm and thats speaking from my own personal experience with crop sensor & full frame cameras using the 35mm 1.8 & f/2 lenses, the 50mm 1.8 & 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 on both sensor formats.

Doesn't matter what the focal length equates to, op specifically said 50mm lens. And it's obvious they're low on funds. £50 is a lot to some. May as well have the best lens in their budget. Which is the nifty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All this 35mm talk is off topic really, as op specifically states "50 or no" and since you guys hate off topic so much
    the OP asked would the 50mm be a good idea on a crop sensor, which implies they're worried about it being too long. the 35mm is an obvious answer as a result.
    i've used both the 35mm and the 50mm, and i much prefer the 35mm.

Already agreed a 35mm is preferable. But that's not the only factor in this thread. Op has no money. It's not easy sell unwanted lenses either. I have an almost new, rarely used one up and nobody is biting. 35mm is probably on the cards for me if I sell. But only if.

• Advertisement

It's not easy sell unwanted lenses either.
    tell me about it. i've a sigma 30mm f1.4 four thirds mount for sale but the market for them is very small.

Doesn't matter what the focal length equates to, op specifically said 50mm lens. And it's obvious they're low on funds. £50 is a lot to some. May as well have the best lens in their budget. Which is the nifty.

But its a lot easier to save an extra £50 then 100 so the OP might be willing to wait.

The OP has also specifically asked for peoples opinions as to whether the 50mm is good for a crop sensor so people saying the 35mm is better is completely relevant.

£50 is about €60 currently, not a whole lot, and yeah sure, they could wait. But they make out like even the 50mm would be a massive spend, and I can get that. I'm poor myself :D Every purchase has to count.

I agree they should try sell on the not needed lenses, but that, as i already said, is not easy when nobody out there wants them. The camera shops would offer little or nothing for them, or I'd be there myself getting rid of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

closed until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm reopening this for the moment.

I'm deeming 35mm as relevant and on topic but i don't intend to review every focal length as being on or off topic. In previous times the moderators were asked by the community to provide latitude for on and off topic posting. That is what is done within reason. If something is off topic feel free to report it but don't be a pain in the ass reporting stuff - it does no additional favour if you report 5 posts in a row from the same thread. None. Zero. The moderators review it when they get a reported post and they don't stop at a single post.

I'm reminding users of the forum who are posting of the charter provisions with regard to dominating threads. Its in the charter. Don't do it. Simples.

(pedantic hat)'standard' lenses for a particular format are often defined as those with a focal length equivalent to the diagonal on the format in question. so a true 'standard' for a nikon DX would be approx. 28 or 29mm.(/pedantic hat)

50mm on a 35mm camera is thus a short telephoto - a standard lens on a 35 mm would be about 43mm focal length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

50mm is a lovely lens, bit tight on a crop but worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not read beyond the first page of this thread but I have a D90 and have used both the 50mm (my own) and the 35mm (my Dad's) on it. I might be biased because I use the 50mm a lot more than the occasional use I get with the 35mm but I love the shots I get with the 50mm over the 35mm. Both are great lenses but I've just gotten so used to the 50mm on the D90 that the 35mm feels too wide and I don't get the same impact in my shots as I do with the 50mm. I like the extra reach you get from the 50mm on the crop sensor. I still enjoy taking shots with the 35mm though and I'm sure if I had the 35mm 24/7 I'd adjust the way I take photos to better suit it's focal length.

Money is a big factor obviously and TBH, with the 50mm you can't go wrong. Every lens and focal length has it's pros and cons but for a first prime lens (at a great price), you will love the 50mm. It won't always suit the photo you're looking to get but that can often force you to get a bit more creative with how you approach taking photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a 50mm f/1.4 lens, and it's the most unused lens I own. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in the 4 years I have it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement