Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50mm or no - ** Post #46 Mod Note **

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Paulw wrote: »
    I have a 50mm f/1.4 lens, and it's the most unused lens I own. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in the 4 years I have it.

In reflection, it is THE most used lens I have.....I reckon 80% of my SLR shots are taken on it. It's just so good. I am full frame, not sure if you are so that could make a massive difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Paulw wrote: »
    I have a 50mm f/1.4 lens, and it's the most unused lens I own. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it in the 4 years I have it.

Wanna sell it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

alexlyons wrote: »
    why should I, or shouldn't I get it?

What exactly do you want to use it for? If it's just gear aquisition, then i'd say no. Go buy yourself a flight to somewhere, and use the experience. If you need a fast lens, it's a great piece of kit for the money :) i'd agree with everyone though that on a crop body it's a bit long. I'd even go so far as to say the 35 is too (all my favourite photographers favoured 35mm on a full frame body, but that's just me:) )if you really wantto spend money on kit though for a non-specific item then you can't go too far wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pete4130 wrote: »
    In reflection, it is THE most used lens I have.....I reckon 80% of my SLR shots are taken on it. It's just so good. I am full frame, not sure if you are so that could make a massive difference?

I've 1.3 crop and 1.6 crop bodies. It wouldn't make a difference. I just don't use the lens. I'm buying a FF body soon, and I doubt the lens will get any more use at all. I'd use my 24-70 mm f/2.8 much more.
    alexlyons wrote: »
    Wanna sell it? ;)

No thanks.

I'd like to thank all those who have given thoughts and opinions on this situation.

Yes there is the thought of saving for longer, but it's also down to me getting a very small amount of tax back, just under the cost of a 50mm 1.8, and won't require much saving, which I can't really afford to do. However if I waited until late spring/summer I may be able to get the 35mm, if I decided I wanted it over the 50. I'm also getting back into it all now and wouldn't mind being able to try new stuff, either with 50 or 35.

In terms of gear acquisition, it certainly isn't. I'd love to spend the money on a trip somewhere, but that's another story!

I know Mike Conn quite well and am going to go into him next week, try them out, maybe borrow one or other or both for a while. Maybe trade the 70-300 which hasn't left the back in over a year, and hasn't taken a decent image in about 2 or 3!

It may end up that neither is suitable, I don't know yet.

I'd also like to thank AnCatDubh for looking over the thread and reopening it etc.

Opem to any other thoughts on this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sounds like a plan Alex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah rightyohso...see I've a digital LeicaM9 that's essentially a point and shoot but gives (as far as I can figure) a full frame snap. I don't like the camera and don't/won't use it but since I've had it I've always thought that a dSLR (of any kind) was giving a bigger size frame.

Yeah, those Leica's are crap. I tell ya what, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for €100....whadaya say? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

DougL wrote: »
    Yeah, those Leica's are crap. I tell ya what, I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for €100....whadaya say? :)

Deal! If I could I would but it was a gift from a collector/customer. And my daughter wouldn't speak to me again.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

humberklog wrote: »
    my daughter wouldn't speak to me again.:)

So that could be a Win too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

This could link into the Paradox of Choice thread but I've just picked up a 1.8 50mm for my (just picked up) 500D and I don't think I'll take it off for a long time! I can't believe the difference between it and the 18 55mm kit lens. As I'm a complete noob so I can't say I know what I'm missing out on by not having a 35mm (and now I'm afraid to try it out in case I really like it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

500D has a crop sensor, therefore the 50mm has a bit longer focal distance than it would have on a film body or full frame body. 50mm focal length lens has approximately the same view angle as human eye and therefore the pictures look a bit more natural. And if you are shooting closer to people, group of people or in smaller indoors areas, you may be hitting wall with your back trying to squeeze everybody into the shot.
    But there is nothing wrong about it, it is the cheapest lens and one of the best not only for learning. Enjoy and keep posting results!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

OP, I have both a 50mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8(DX), if you are considering going on the photowalk let me know and I will bring both and you can try them side by side. I pretty much leave the 35mm on my d90 all the time and am very happy with it, I found with the 50mm I was too close to what I wanted to capture but the 35mm, for me, is perfect.

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    OP, I have both a 50mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8(DX), if you are considering going on the photowalk let me know and I will bring both and you can try them side by side. I pretty much leave the 35mm on my d90 all the time and am very happy with it, I found with the 50mm I was too close to what I wanted to capture but the 35mm, for me, is perfect.

Ye that'd actually be great! Let me know if you get this so I don't hassle you with a PM! :)

Man I love boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Hi Alex, that's fine I will see you at the photowalk. I will be easy to spot as I will be wearing an enormous red carnation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

As the lens has been mentioned a few times I said I would not start another thread.

I have been offered a 4 month old Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8 DX for €150. Is this a reasonable asking price? New to the lens purchasing game so I am not sure how much they hold value.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

For what it's worth, I have the 50mm f1.4 fitted to my 5D (full frame for Nikon heads) - it's a super lens. It's so good in fact that I had to buy MissusP&B her own 50mm (f1.8 of course) for her 5D so that she's stop nicking mine!

Advertisement