Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy's Day 2011

Options
  • 27-01-2011 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Early thread is early I know.

However the feast of our patron saint falls on a Thursday this year so it might be wise the get your requests in early for the 18th off. Not only do you have a hangover day sorted but it'll also give you a tidy long weekend.

I've got mine all cleared :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Good man,

I must admit I was scratching my head about a paddy's day thread so early but a good call. Just booking it off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Good call. No need for me though, Ill be back in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

I might be off to surfers for it, is it any craic up there do you know?

sydney's meant to be class for it, i didn't think melbs was too amazing last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Zero chance of getting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i'm pretty sure i fly into perth on paddys day. i was in the bush for it last year so i have to make up for it this time. i assume the the done thing is to get stupidly drunk and wake up in a ditch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

yeah, melb was poor last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The 17th is generally poor, due to it not being a public holiday. I'd rather have the 18th off and work the 17th (obv straight to the pub after work, by 5 or 6)
    The 3rd sunday is the parafe and always a good day. This year could be epic, as the final games of the 6 nations are on that sunday, Ireland v England. Would be great if the title coems down to that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

lg123 wrote: »

Phifft! You didn’t come with us then I organized a pub crawl last year it was great crack! (the parts I remember)

Going to Kings of Leon concert on Patrick’s day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Fcuk Paddys day, Eddie Vedder is playing a solo gig in Syd on March 18th :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

yeah I have a long standing arangement with the boss not to expect me in on the 18th

Normally I'm of the oldschool theory that if ya cant get up and go to work the next morning you're a lightweight, but the state I arrived at work in about 5 Years ago scared the bejaysus out of him, I'm not even sure meself How I managed to get there cos me car was still in town, but sufficed to say Sawmills and Hangovers dont go well together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

oooh! ive only started work.. i realy should ask for it off!
    was thinkin more the 18th tho..
    so i can lie on after the night out of the 17th..

whos bout in sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

So many people have already requested this day off it has now become one of our holiday days. 4 day weekend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

shakencat wrote: »
    whos bout in sydney?

lol, around 50,000 people in hyde park the sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Doc wrote: »
    Phifft! You didn’t come with us then I organized a pub crawl last year it was great crack! (the parts I remember)

Going to Kings of Leon concert on Patrick’s day this year.

Just get a carton of beer and sit in your back garden with the radio on. Within an hour you'll have heard the KoL back catalogue with a similar sound to how they are live :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

When I left Ireland I had just heard of the Kings Of Leon. On arival in Oz all Summer "Sex on Fire" and "Need Somebody" were played ad nausem ...sort of put me of ever really listening to them again.

Good band though....

Melbourne Paddys day 2009 had a classic news story of an Irish girl with her arm stuck down a sewer grate near bridies I think. I kept imagining a fireman looking at her going
    "You will have to let go of the phone"

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

lg123 wrote: »

It's not about the city/place. Its all about what you make of the day/night yourself. Where you go, who you're with etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Zambia wrote: »
    When I left Ireland I had just heard of the Kings Of Leon. On arival in Oz all Summer "Sex on Fire" and "Need Somebody" were played ad nausem ...sort of put me of ever really listening to them again.

Good band though....

Melbourne Paddys day 2009 had a classic news story of an Irish girl with her arm stuck down a sewer grate near bridies I think. I kept imagining a fireman looking at her going
    "You will have to let go of the phone"
    This is her
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uUTWMHZKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

spent two years in oz, even though i think that in general that Melbourne is a better city thank Sydney i would probably have to give Sydeny the thumbs up over Melb for paddys day, watch the parade, down to hyde park and then out to PJs, what a nite it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

s.c wrote: »
    It's not about the city/place. Its all about what you make of the day/night yourself. Where you go, who you're with etc...

you are right somewhat but its paddys day, i didnt see anything green in melbourne. i'm guessing from the other posts there was even a parade in sydney. i dont know if it was even worth crossing the road for but at least there was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just get a carton of beer and sit in your back garden with the radio on. Within an hour you'll have heard the KoL back catalogue with a similar sound to how they are live :D

Looks like sitting in the back garden is my only option now their drummer just damaged his arm so the gig is postponed. Going to have to figure something else out for Patrick’s day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Haven't been in Melbourne long and was just looking for ideas on where's best for Patricks day. Bit of trad music would be nice and a decent Guinness. Thanks in advance :)

Mod I've merged your thread into this one, to avoid multiple threads

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Slunk wrote: »
    Haven't been in Melbourne long and was just looking for ideas on where's best for Patricks day. Bit of trad music would be nice and a decent Guinness. Thanks in advance :)

Probably Dan O Connells in Carlton or The Quiet Man in Flemington. O Connells close off the park next door and Quiet Man close off the street next to the pub. Both place should be packed out the door..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dean Roche

Not looking forward to that day at all, it’s a day when the Irish are at their most dangerous and live up to every stereotype going. Not all, not most, but many many Irish do. Like the characters from punch magazine come to life. Noting but an orgy of violence and anti social behaviour in ever town and city. Pubs should be shut at six; beer should be kept away from the most violent breed of people in Europe with the highest metal illnesses in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Dean Roche wrote: »
    Not looking forward to that day at all, it’s a day when the Irish are at their most dangerous and live up to every stereotype going. Not all, not most, but many many Irish do. Like the characters from punch magazine come to life. Noting but an orgy of violence and anti social behaviour in ever town and city. Pubs should be shut at six; beer should be kept away from the most violent breed of people in Europe with the highest metal illnesses in Europe

Mod I'm not having this crap, you can go elsewhere and troll. If anyone wants to come here and troll then think again.

this thread is about celebration of Irish heritage, not all Irish are drunk fighters, some of us like to celebrate st patricks day by hanging out with friends (both irish and other nationalities) and enjoying some 'craic'

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I'm not going to make it this year but wife n little girl will be there in Melbourne . They're going green for the day and our little girl is wearing her Irish T-Shirt n stuff to her preschool so sounds like they'll be have a good day .

Will just have to make up for it next year when I'm there . Paint the house green or some thing hehe .

Agree totally with hussey Paddy's day is a celebration of Irish heritage and not a big p*ss up . A day for family and friends a barbie n few drinks in the back garden and a good time by all .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ozeire wrote: »
    Agree totally with hussey Paddy's day is a celebration of Irish heritage and not a big p*ss up ..

Speak for yourselves, I'll be getting rat arsed with hundreds of others! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smithy11

Bridie O Reillys in either Chapel Street or Little Collins Street or Pugg Mahones by the southbank

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

The important question is where is everyone going tomorrow? :D

Daisies wrote: »
    The important question is where is everyone going tomorrow? :D

The rocks for me! Usually good fun down there

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Speak for yourselves, I'll be getting rat arsed with hundreds of others! :pac:

and scoring Americans ;)

P.s. Dan Murphys are doing some Irish Offers $15 for 3 bottles of bulmers!
    http://danmurphys.com.au/guides/weekly-new-south-wales-other-content

Advertisement