Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studding

• 27-01-2011 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a very rare coloured pure-bred pom - A woman who saw him today wants to use him for studding - A few q's

What age should he be??
    How much do I charge or whats the options here.

All papers and everything in order. Didnt buy him for stud but she said he'd be worth a good bit at it.

Any info, help or advice would be great.

Ardinn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Queue the righteous brigade!

To answer as best i can..........

18 months to 2 years old to sexually and mentally mature to mate.

Get your dog checked out before studding for various health issues associated with the breed.
    Any info on his parents?you will need this as potential "customers" will ask for this.....
    Stud fee depends on the quality of the stud,if he has passed all health tests,no hereditary conditions in his pedigree he could be a valuable asset to any breeder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

^ +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would also check out the person who you are going to let use your dog.

Remember there will be pups as a result of this so are you happy her dog is of good quality, will the pups be bred and raised ethically? What kind of people will she sell her pups to? What happens if an owner has to give up a pup, what happens to it then?

All questions you have got to ask if you are going to enter into breeding in a country where so many unwanted dogs end up in pounds and seeing purebred Poms there is not uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are really interested in using your dog for stud i would contact the breed club and ask their advice:

Pomeranian Club of Ireland

Mr. S. Carroll
    (085-1112948)

Only good quality, health tested dogs should be used for stud. What you charge generally depends on the quality of the dog.

In my opinion, no dog under 18 months should be used for stud.

One thing i will say, if you use your dog for stud, it will change him, big time, as he will be more aware of bitches in heat and will go mad to get at one if he gets a scent, so do you really want that hassle? Its a nightmare really, they can go off their food too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Excellent advice from everyone so far. Just to reiterate, when they say health tests, they don't mean take him to your local vet and he tells you he's a healthy dog. Each breed can have certain genetic health issues that can be passed on to the next generation, so as has been suggested, ask the breed club what they are in poms and then get the tests done to ensure your dog won't be passing any problems on. Even an apparently healthy looking dog could have the potential to pass on hip dysplasia, heart problems etc. I don't know poms, so I don't know what they are predisposed to. And make sure the bitch has also had the tests done, see the paperwork to prove it, don't take the bitch's owner at his/her word. If you are do allow them to use your dog, make sure they have a swab done to test for any SDIs (seriously). If the bitch has been bred with a lot of different dogs, you don't know what she may have caught, and you don't want it being passed onto your dog.

What colour is your dog? No offence, but sometimes people think that their dog is a rare colour when it turns out there are actually loads of them:) Rare white siberian huskies with blue eyes were advertised a lot in the UK a few years ago - nothing rare about them at all, loads of them about. If a dog is actually an unusual colour for a particular breed, that can be a fault in the show world, usually for a reason, and again, not wishing to offend you, but if your dog is a very rare colour, there is the possibility that somewhere in his ancestry there is a non-pom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Just out of interest, do you know this woman or did she randomly come up to you in the street and say you're dog would be great to breed from? Is it something you were considering already or did she tell you that you could probably make money out of the pups?
    I'm just trying to figure out your logic behind doing this as another poster said, in a country where so many dogs are in the pound/pts and pedigree poms are no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you know this woman or did she randomly come up to you in the street and say you're dog would be great to breed from? Is it something you were considering already or did she tell you that you could probably make money out of the pups?
    I'm just trying to figure out your logic behind doing this as another poster said, in a country where so many dogs are in the pound/pts and pedigree poms are no exception.

Hi - thanks for all the great replies - He actually isnt that rare a colour - just I hadnt seen one before that colour really - He's wolf sable.

No my OH got talking to a woman in the bar we run and she said she breeds them and asked to see him. Im aware of std's and all that so I would get her checked too.

(He also looks happier than this on most occasions :) )

We were kind of thinking about it but dont know enough really so were looking for advice.

Another question - if all the documents say he is a pom how far back will the records go to see if their is a flaw in the ancestry? - (papers are in the car and its freezing!)

052.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

He's lovely.

What papers do you have for him, is it just his registration papers, or do you have his 5 generation pedigree? Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there was anything in his ancestry, just if he was a rare colour, but as you say, wolf sable is an acceptable colour in the breed.

Colour genetics are a weird thing though, I don't know anything about them, but have read a few discussions from more knowledgeable people. What colour is the pom bitch? I wonder what colour pups they would throw, and then how 'desirable' they would be? Just thinking about how easy or hard it would be to get good homes for them if they didn't turn out wolf sable.

You can see you own a bar, posting at 2.30 in the morning;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

im not a bit fan of pom's but he is a lovely colour, i can understand why she'd like to use him as a stud dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The only reason to breed a dogs is to improve the breed otherwise there are plenty of dogs / puppies in rescues crying out for homes. However if you are adamant that you want your dog to be a stud at the very least have health tests done on him to make sure he is free from genetic illnesses. This is my opinion on what a stud dog owners responsiblities are:

1. Be prepared to set aside at least a week of time for every breeding. Most of the time, it's a lengthy process.

2. Be ready to turn down bitches, both for their own lack of merit, or because you're not convinced that the breeders can raise or place the puppies the way you're hoping. Don't take chances. Don't take bitches who's pedigrees you don't thoroughly understand. Don't take bitches whose owners you don't know personally (or at least that don't come very highly recommended by someone you do trust). You are responsible for these puppies for their entire lifetimes. Choose only outstanding breeders who will also take that responsibility seriously.

3. Be honest about what your dog throws and be prepared to also turn down fabulous bitches because you know that your dog will not offer the breeder what they are looking for. This is difficult. It's very tempting to take bitches that you think will improve on your dog in areas that he needs. Especially when they're highly accomplished! But you job is to help the breeder achieve their own goals. If you don't reasonably think that your dog will help them to improve also, you need to be honest and tell them that.

4. Don't do similar breedings until you know what the first one has produced. Doing such breedings doesn't help anyone. Suggest that one of them come back down the road, after they've seen what the first has produced.

5. Once pups are on the ground, travel to see them. Even if this means turning down another breeding, whatever. You can't make good decisions for additional pairings unless you know how the first ones worked out. Keep in touch with every owner so you know exactly what temperament traits, health issues etc. your dog is throwing.

6. Deal with health and temperament related issues properly. You will get them, every stud dog throws some pups with one issue or another. You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

7. On that note, once there are enough pups to assess what you have, be honest about them. Keep every health clearance, temperament trait, eye color, coat, etc etc. well documented, as it's human nature to forget what we don't want to remember or to overlook things in a dog we really like. Be sure to tell breeders who inquire with their bitches what you have seen and what you hope to build on or avoid going forward. Every breeding will have it's risks, make sure the ones that you are taking aren't going to break someone's heart.

8. Encourage the new owners to help their dog reach its' fullest potential, whether a competitor or companion. And always be sure to set a good enough example that, if theirs turns out to be the next popular stud dog, they'll know exactly how they want to manage him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement