Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wireless G card?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a reliable wireless G adapter for my first ever PC build?

I won't be upgrading to N as my laptop and router are G. The signal can be weak at times in the house (Not sure if this is the network or the 6 yr old laptop) so i would like something fairly powerfull. Budget is around 20 squid.

My head is fried from reading specs and reviews and i'm still none the wiser so some expert opinion would be apreciated. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN350G-54Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B002D7NILG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296168976&sr=8-1

Cheapy but if it does the job who cares. I have a TP-Link USB card and it works fine.

Thats got a detatchable antenna. If you've a problem with the signal, take it off and put on a higher-gain one, they're only a few quid. Might be able to do the same with your router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Alternately a usb wireless dongle can be a good option. The orthodox wireless card can be "buried" at the back of the pc whereas a usb extender lead used with the usb wireless dongle can you give options of finding the best position for signal strength.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002LHX8O/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_ir01?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VYNK8XS5R6PY630ZPGT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Diamond7

@Voodo.. Thanks for that, looks like it works with win7 and all.

@dub45.. you've got me thinking now. The machine will actually be tucked behind a chimney brest and a movable antenna could be handy. A card is tidy though and out of sight.
    I wonder if theres an accurate way of testing a signal? As I'm not sure if my network is at its best anyway. I can't trust my old laptop as it might be the problem. If I had something reliable I could test the machine site to know if I needed to move an antenna plus test my router signal around the house.

Diamond7 wrote: »
    @Voodo.. Thanks for that, looks like it works with win7 and all.

@dub45.. you've got me thinking now. The machine will actually be tucked behind a chimney brest and a movable antenna could be handy. A card is tidy though and out of sight.
    I wonder if theres an accurate way of testing a signal? As I'm not sure if my network is at its best anyway. I can't trust my old laptop as it might be the problem. If I had something reliable I could test the machine site to know if I needed to move an antenna plus test my router signal around the house.

Try InSSIDer.

I think I'll chance getting a card for now rather then a dongle and if its not good enough so be it. Are wireless antenna's a standard fitting, as in, can I change the one on the card for a better one or maybe an extendable one? Or are they make/model specific?

@ Voodu... I tried inSSIDer. Couldn't get it to work.The system reported a major error. I think it has something to do with my .net framework on my XP system rather then the program itself but thanks for the tip. I tried network stumbler which is working but I dont know how to use it. I'm going to do a bit more research and have a stab at optimizing the network myself and if I find problems or get stuck I might start another thread on here to ask the pro's.

• Advertisement

Diamond7 wrote: »
    I think I'll chance getting a card for now rather then a dongle and if its not good enough so be it. Are wireless antenna's a standard fitting, as in, can I change the one on the card for a better one or maybe an extendable one? Or are they make/model specific?

The removeable type normally uses a standard SMA connector.

Sound job. Thanks for your help Voodu

Advertisement