Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing Basketball

• 27-01-2011 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Have been asked to cover a basketball game at the Tallaght Arena , done a few games before never at that venue though but interested in any new angles I should try, something different any help appreciated thx:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

get low down on the base line - best position for any basketball shot - anywhere just to the side of the basket really...

all the play will come straight towards you and most players will go low down before getting a leap for a lay-up..

then if the outside shots are going your in a great position to get a head on shot of the player..

the side lines aren't going to be great unless your going for the sprinting past you shots or shots from behind the players or of the defensive play... if you watch a game of basketball you'll see yourself that the ball stays in the center of the court for about 1-2 seconds... all the action will be in and around the baskets and 3 point line..

I've never shot basketball myself but I've played for 5-6 years so that'd be where'd I'd place myself if I was you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you really wanted a different angle - mount a camera up high above the action on a remote and do overhead of the action - its an angle thats not normally covered.

or a camera mounted behind the net (pretty sure they have clear perspex behind the net in tallaght stadium).

different angle could also be wide from the side - but would only be good if the action was right in front of you ..... or if someone was turning around celebrating a 3pointer.

apart from that ...70/200 ...high ISO, shutter speed approx 200/250th sec .....oh and remember to do a custom white balance for the lights there ...they'll give an yellow/orange cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

yeah thought about the remote trigger shots using pocket wizards but dont have them ,will try shoot from the baseline as most of the action is under the hoops ,thanks for the tips

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

hoganpoly wrote: »
    yeah thought about the remote trigger shots using pocket wizards but dont have them

You can borrow mine if you want.

Ballyman wrote: »
    You can borrow mine if you want.
    its ok dude game is on at 12 so heading there now ,might get a loan of them soon though thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Post some of your results to show us how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Post some of your results to show us how you got on.

be great to see your images here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

PCPhoto wrote: »
    if you really wanted a different angle - mount a camera up high above the action on a remote and do overhead of the action - its an angle thats not normally covered.

or a camera mounted behind the net (pretty sure they have clear perspex behind the net in tallaght stadium).

And make sure your public liability is up to date if you are mounting cameras...

Few from today :)
    5393459028_9c09bab9d1_z.jpg

5392880825_c9941d354e_z.jpg

5393754436_b7376ed305_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They came out well. Good job.

• Advertisement

Beats being out in the cold!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jaysus that's some amount of noise :eek:

Jaysus that's some amount of noise :eek:
    Yeah spotted that :p ,only way to get the shutter speed up im afraid..

Better to have noise and a sharp shot, than a blurred image.

Paulw wrote: »

Using Canon MK2 at present ,but hopefully will upgrade to the MK4 someday ,how does the MK4 cope with higher iso and what are the results like in=m hearing that they are great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Paulw wrote: »

Truest words you ave ever spoken!!

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Using Canon MK2 at present ,but hopefully will upgrade to the MK4 someday ,how does the MK4 cope with higher iso and what are the results like in=m hearing that they are great..

Last game I shot at ISO 2500, which is probably like ISO800 on your MkII. ;)

I haven't yet gone to ISO3200, but I hear it has just a little bit more noise than ISO1600 on the MKIII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

What focal lengths did you use? I take it something below 300mm?

Advertisement