Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can i start to persue photography as a career?

• 27-01-2011 6:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a decent digital camera, It's a 5mp camera with a 4x optical zoom and a pretty decent lens. It's just a point a shoot, but I didn't have $700 to spend on an slr. I've read a book that taught me about aperture and iso and stuff. Anyway, can photography be a potential career? What could I do, if it made decent money I would like shooting weddings and events and stuff (I like candid photography best) but am willing to explore other options. Know, since I'm only 15 I know I wont be making any money for awhile but what can I do now to prepare for later

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

First off, start shooting a lot. Takes practice. Learn some post processing but try not to rely on it. Shoot better, fix less.
    Take a course and read a lot. There is some art but theres a lot more technique.

Build a portfolio of your work,

Pick a magazine you respect and submit them some photos relevant to a hobby of yours. Say some photos of a sailing regatta to a boating magazine or local karate tournament to a martial arts mag. Might not pay much but getting published is great for you.

And get an slr. film if needs be to meet costs. they can be crazy cheap.though digital is so very handy. You won't be taken seriously for work without one in all likelihood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

While learning about Photography is well and good, I think you have more pressing priorities.

If you are 15 I assume you are still at school. Start to take more attention in your language studies, especially English. Being able to communicate clearly and professionally is one of the most important skills you will require to manage a business. From your initial post it would seem that more work is required in that area. If your school offers any subjects that would be an advantage to future studies in Business Management then take those, as this will be the most crucial part of your being a successful Photographer.

I know this is not the advice you were wanting to hear, but it's the reality of the situation and knowledge of how to manage finances and marketing will be much more value than "aperture and ISO and stuff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Stick with it now, learn as much as you can and when your a little older and able to get work experience, try getting some assisting work, or an internship with a photographer. You probably won't be paid initially but hands on is the best way to learn something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beware that if a photographer takes you on as an assistant, you may not be doing glamorous stuff (like taking pictures) but more mundane stuff (like carting gear around).
    tbh, a photographer might not like the idea of his customers seeing a 15 year old taking photos they're paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my 2 cents for what its worth ..... if you have decided already that you plan on doing weddings/events and stuff....then spend the next while learning about :

how to pose a person for a shoot,
    how to photograph big and small groups,
    lighting techniques,
    off camera flash,
    multiple strobes,
    post processing techniques

and as mentioned before.... business and money management....you will need to know how to deal with people (customers and clients can sometimes be fussy and its your job to make them happy)

its a bumpy road.... learning from mistakes is very important, make a note of people who you do not wish to deal with in the future (if someone has screwed you in the past you should make it a point of not wanting to do business with them in the future ....even if they have changed companies etc)

you will have to learn about debt collection, taxation, accounts.....photography is a learning career - you never stop !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Read, learn and practice and when you have that done, go the start and do it all over again.

One thing I would say is, get your hands on an old 35mm camera ( or a dslr and only use manual mode )and learn how to use that, the sooner you learn to shoot in manual mode, the more you learn about appeture and shutter spped and light etc and how they all combine together to get that perfect shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Hey, are you the Slimboyfat? Gwynn?

Advertisement