Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

Hi all.
    Well what a fabulous morning and evening so far lovely to wake up with a clear head and start another fresh day,being helpful and reliable!

Got to do lots of stuff with my mammy☺things I'd promised her i do with and for her she was also thrilled to see me looking fresher and in good form heartbreaking what worry ive been putting her through she'd do anything for me (like all mammies )But I had her at deaths door with worry she looked like year's had been took off her.lovely to see and makes me more determined to stick on this road.

I've a few more worries to deal but i know drinking won't help at all it just escalates things afterwards but they are things that have me in this frame of mind to never touch drink again the stupid stupid things ive done mainly in the last 2 years because of drink that got me into the mess I'm in certainly won't get me out of it now.I think it's safe to say the trouble and fright alone is more than enough.And the clear life high and smile on my mams face is enough to keep me going.
    Happy kids.
    Quiet happy home and above all happy mammy and sisters☺

Enjoy your evening all!

Fantastic, this is what life is all about, loving the simple good things, realising how valuable they are, and filling your life with them at every opportunity.
    Every day you can learn something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭2PieceJigsaw

......... wrote: »
    Fantastic, this is what life is all about, loving the simple good things, realising how valuable they are, and filling your life with them at every opportunity.
    Every day you can learn something new.

Yep everyday is a blessing now not a lesson ☺.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

385 days ...

Keep the faith.

Laeot wrote: »
    385 days ...

Keep the faith.
    Well done

I was just thinking that the only safe place to go to is a chemist now!
    What kind of world has it became.

I'm rambling trying to get my worries out of my head couldn't get to a meeting tonight but I feel good I'll see what's around tomorrow or else it will be Friday and Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

If you can't get to a meeting, use sites like these:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OdomtologyBooks

http://www.aaonline.net/ (can't vouch for this one, just did a quick google as an example--when I got sober YAHOO actually had a 24/7 chatroom that resembled the Wild Wild West, lol, crazy but it really helped me, specially on those nights I couldn't sleep---someone around the world was always up)

Like Dr. Bob said:
    If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting another drink.

http://silkworth.net/bbstories/2nd/171_181.html

Hang in there :-)

Amazingfun wrote: »
    If you can't get to a meeting, use sites like these:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OdomtologyBooks

http://www.aaonline.net/ (can't vouch for this one, just did a quick google as an example--when I got sober YAHOO actually had a 24/7 chatroom that resembled the Wild Wild West, lol, crazy but it really helped me, specially on those nights I couldn't sleep---someone around the world was always up)

Like Dr. Bob said:

http://silkworth.net/bbstories/2nd/171_181.html

Hang in there :-)

Brilliant Amazingfun thanks for that.
    Have a good day peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Almost had a replapse last night. Used to always slip into the local for a few whilst waiting for the Indian and stop into the offie for cans on the way home. I thought for a moment how good that first beer always tasted. I nearly succumed to temptation but then remembered I was running another 10K in the morning and how woeful and dejected I'd feel.
    Thankfully i held out. Feel great again this morning physically and emotionally. I have to say the temptation didn't even last 10 mins and this is one of the keys to resist. 4 weeks today. This is my longest stint to date. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

6 days.

I'm not sure if my drinking was problematic but I want to see what life is like without it for a while.

Good luck to all

• Advertisement

Almost had a replapse last night. Used to always slip into the local for a few whilst waiting for the Indian and stop into the offie for cans on the way home. I thought for a moment how good that first beer always tasted. I nearly succumed to temptation but then remembered I was running another 10K in the morning and how woeful and dejected I'd feel.
    Thankfully i held out. Feel great again this morning physically and emotionally. I have to say the temptation didn't even last 10 mins and this is one of the keys to resist. 4 weeks today. This is my longest stint to date. :)

Well done Fingers
    I've had a close call myself but read over my posts I'd to delete my last one it was it's was making me to anxious well just blame it on the weather!
    Enjoy your run today.

barrier86 wrote: »
    6 days.

I'm not sure if my drinking was problematic but I want to see what life is like without it for a while.

Good luck to all

Best of luck Barriers it will do you know harm.
    Life is great without it.

barrier86 wrote: »
    6 days.

Good luck to all

I was in a similar situation. Haven't touched a drop since October, I got cravings, but with will power and filling my time with something else it passed. For me life and the world looks different without alcohol, much better, much more genuine pleasure in the simple things, almost like I'm seeing them for the first time again, more vibrant, fresher, cleaner. I don't think I'll ever let any substance pollute my mind or body again, even occasionally. I'm enjoying the clarity, freedom and new perspective far too much. When I make it a year, I'm giving it up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Starting off at day 1 again folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Starting off at day 1 again folks :)

From your previous posts you were well over the 500-day mark, from the stopdrinking subreddit I can see I'm on day 466.

I understand if you don't want to, but could you explain more about what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

tinpib wrote: »
    I understand if you don't want to, but could you explain more about what happened?

I had planned to have a few last weekend with my gf and its my first cousins stag the weekend gone. It was pre-planned and believe me I was not too well Sunday.

Those 500 days are not wasted, if I can match it again I'll be delighted. I've seen what drink can do and believe me it's my plan to stay off it again

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Day 204, and looking forward to Easter weekend.

scriba wrote: »
    Day 204, and looking forward to Easter weekend.

Well done Scriba thrilled for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

393 days ... keep well my friends..

Laeot wrote: »
    393 days ... keep well my friends..

Brilliant Laeot☺
    Hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Another one to chalk down. 5 weeks. Longest I've been off the sauce in 30 years!!
    Never felt better. Emotionally or physically.

Another one to chalk down. 5 weeks. Longest I've been off the sauce in 30 years!!
    Never felt better. Emotionally or physically.

Well done, it really is amazing the difference it makes . . After being off it now for a while myself, I believe the negative effects that even a fairly moderate intake of alcohol has on the body and mind is greatly underestimated. Technically, to our bodies, it is a poison. I've been off it now about 7 months and I still feel the improvements happening . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Well done to all that have manged to quit, keep up the good work.

I tried a few times over the last year and never lasted longer than two weeks. I haven't tried to in a while as I wasn't drinking much, just a few beers here and there at the weekends and the odd night out but nothing major.

Last weekend was the wake up again. I was at a party and had WAY WAY too much and didn't get home till very early the next morning and had very little sleep as I had to get up early the following morning.

I haven't been right all week over it, work and personal life is being affected over that one stupid night were I lost the run of myself. I'm furious with myself all week.

This is the reason I want (NEED) to quit because no matter how long I stay in control, there is always that one weekend where I will go over the top and end up ruining the next few days or do something stupid I will regret.

Problem is I don't think I will ever be able to stop as too much of what I do revolves around the poxy stuff.

I know what I need to do but no idea how to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I tried a few times over the last year and never lasted longer than two weeks. I haven't tried to in a while as I wasn't drinking much, just a few beers here and there at the weekends and the odd night out but nothing major.

Last weekend was the wake up again. I was at a party and had WAY WAY too much and didn't get home till very early the next morning and had very little sleep as I had to get up early the following morning.

I haven't been right all week over it, work and personal life is being affected over that one stupid night were I lost the run of myself. I'm furious with myself all week.

This is the reason I want (NEED) to quit because no matter how long I stay in control, there is always that one weekend where I will go over the top and end up ruining the next few days or do something stupid I will regret.

Problem is I don't think I will ever be able to stop as too much of what I do revolves around the poxy stuff.

''Half measures availed us nothing , until we were prepared to let go of our old ideas absolutely ..... ''

Only thing that worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

marienbad wrote: »
    ''Half measures availed us nothing , until we were prepared to let go of our old ideas absolutely ..... ''

Only thing that worked for me

I assume that's from AA? Although I didn't go to AA this time round that quote rings very true to me. Something definitely clicked with me this time, it was also the first time I decided to quit rationally rather than on the back of some catastrophic night's boozeing.

You seem to determined again Glen so keep trying. Tons of resources and people on here who know the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

In my case once I realised/accepted that I was an alcoholic I felt that I was then in a position to do something about it. Personally the term alcoholic didn't bother me but some people can-understandably-have hangups or reservations about the stigma attached. As far as I am concerned I am never again going to allow booze f**k me or my family up.
    You will be able to stop and you will stop but only(IMO) if you are serious about it and realise that booze cannot be part of your life.

I hear what you are all saying and thanks for that. You're either in or out, no half measures (no pun intended) like what I just experienced, that being, having a good few weeks where I drank lightly and then BOOM, a day of madness and regret thats still bothering me now physically and mentally.

I just don't know how I will ever be able to cut it out completely when all family and social functions revolves around drinking.

I know I am not the only person that found themselves in this situation and many more like me have managed to do it but it just seems like the impossible task for me. I know I am being negative and should try be more positive in my approach.

Is it worth talking to a GP or will they just tell me to go to AA or read a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I hear what you are all saying and thanks for that. You're either in or out, no half measures (no pun intended) like what I just experienced, that being, having a good few weeks where I drank lightly and then BOOM, a day of madness and regret thats still bothering me now physically and mentally.

I just don't know how I will ever be able to cut it out completely when all family and social functions revolves around drinking.

I know I am not the only person that found themselves in this situation and many more like me have managed to do it but it just seems like the impossible task for me. I know I am being negative and should try be more positive in my approach.

Is it worth talking to a GP or will they just tell me to go to AA or read a book?

You'll find a way, Quagmire. Everything may revolve around drinking, but if you don't want it in your life, you'll find a way to handle it. You're not obliged to do what everyone else is doing, especially if it is making you unhappy. I guess you have to weigh up the short term awkwardness at being in a situation like that vs the more lasting benefits of not drinking, feeling better about yourself, and so on. Like all things, these situations can be managed, and planned for, so that you can get through them. You can find a way. :)

Re: GP, I don't know. I've never spoken to a GP specifically about alcohol. I suppose it depends on your GP. Other people might be better placed to offer assistance here. But talking to supportive people about your relationship with alcohol and why it's important to you that you quit can't be a bad idea, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This. It's the baffling inability to control it, once we start to drink. Like you I had some periods where everything seemed ok, good even: but there was always some horrific trainwreck on the horizon, eventually.

AA terms this a "physical allergy", and like so many of us that kept trying to drink (and not face terrible consequences after starting up again) are eventually forced to come to grips with, total abstinence is really the only solution for people who exhibit this kind of relationship w/alcohol.

It sucks, lol, I know. That "not drinking at all" bit was always what I found most difficult to really accept ;)
    I think I actually grieved as much in saying goodbye to booze as I did for some loved ones when they died: it felt much the same, like the loss of a friend. Embarrassing, given my outrageous drinking career, but it's the truth.

BTW:
    Over all my years in AA, I have yet to meet an alkie ( that I identified with anyways) coming to AA genuinely willing or happy to be there .
    Most of us were forced into it, either by loved ones/work/courts, etc, or just by being beaten enough by the bottle -and the MANY failed attempts at trying to drink successfully, left us with no other option.

I realize there are other avenues for "alcohol help" in 2017, but I can promise you, as many others here can attest, AA still works, and it's still free.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the comments, truly good to hear from people who have been there and managed to abstain permanently.

I'm still unsure about AA, I suppose I'll never know unless I try it.

Has anyone ever tried any of the professional paid services out there like One Step Clinic or others similar? Are they any good or are you just handing over money when you could be going to AA for "free" service?

Advertisement