Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Is it strange that I didn't want to drink yesterday and I don't want to drink today? I'm a limerick man and with limerick winning the All Ireland yesterday I thought that I'd be mad to go for pints. But I didn't want to. My father and brother wanted me to go for a few but I refused. I feel kind of guilty now but in all honesty my head hasn't been the best mentally for a few weeks and I didn't want to make it worse with drink.

Well done! I was in Temple bar today, it was the first time in 14 years that I'd been there and NOT gone into any of the pubs, usually I'd be in most of them and not remember getting home.

We don't need to drink that poison!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

4Ad wrote: »
    Dont feel one bit guilty, be happy that you didn't drink (and ye won the hurling)
    Great strength not to drink..
    Keep it up..

Exactly don't feel guilty feel proud of yourself. When you feel up to it sit down with them an if you feel comfortable be open and honest with them it's important family you are close to know what's going on they need to be supportive

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jude The Obscure

72 days and so far it's ok.

It was difficult during the fine weather as I use to associate BBQs with having a few scoops.

50 days for me now, hope I never pick up another glass of wine ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

72 days and so far it's ok.

It was difficult during the fine weather as I use to associate BBQs with having a few scoops.

I kept a list of 'firsts' in my early days off the booze. e.g
    first (sober) wedding
    first xmas
    first birthday
    first funeral
    first concert
    first date
    etc

and proudly ticked each one off as I got through it. It really, really helped me. Seven years off it now. Best thing I EVER did. Best of luck to you and everyone here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

hubba wrote: »
    first (sober) wedding
    first xmas
    first birthday
    first funeral
    first concert
    first date
    etc

and proudly ticked each one off as I got through it. It really, really helped me. Seven years off it now. Best thing I EVER did. Best of luck to you and everyone here.

Just curious, how did the 'first date' go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

2 months for me now. I've also ticked off a few firsts - first concert, first wedding.......now I understand all the giving out about going to weddings :)

My anxiety levels have dropped and I'm sleeping better. Very rarely do I miss a drink, first thing that comes to my head is the hangover.

This thread has helped an awful lot - keep it up guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Just curious, how did the 'first date' go :D

Depends on how you look at it - he wasn't the one for me but chances are if I had a few drinks on board I might have ended up with him. Better single than with a wrong 'un!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Hi all

I'm 6 months today and feeling great.

For context, if you search my posts you'll see how I felt uncomfortable with my drinking 4 years ago.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057166404/1/#post89404379

I started that thread I suppose as my mind was in a bad place too.

I don't miss it. I do have the occasional NA Beer but I'm fine with that.
    Looking back the sugar craving was the worst but I seem to be through that. I'm more focused and I'm cruising now

I read the stories on here and they give me strength.

Feel free to ask anything or private message, what ever gets you through

I never attended a meeting but I had a email group we would check in daily with which helped loads.

Best of luck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

2 weeks today!

Was very tempted to get a 4 pack of bottles this evening for some unfathomable reason but it went out of my head after a while.

I'm enjoying the clear head in the mornings but i have to say that i'm kind of exhausted overall. Towards the end of the day i'm sort of floating around on autopilot because i'm in a bit of a daze.

Presume it has to do with the reduction in overall calories that i'm consuming along with my sleep being all over the place. Some nights i'm getting a solid 8-9 hours and others i'm waking up every couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

hubba wrote: »
    first (sober) wedding
    first xmas
    first birthday
    first funeral
    first concert
    first date
    etc

I can attest to this too, then add to this with other achievable healthy goals IE - Career, education, health & fitness, relationships or whatever floats your boat.

7 years too in October, by far the best thing I have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

lawlolawl wrote: »
    2 weeks today!

Welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Day 5 for me. I'm on a personal mission of self-care now. It's still only early days but stepping back from alcohol has already been really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Starting all over again. Day 2, although considering the time I finished up on Sunday morning, I'm not long into my second day. Miserable day yesterday and today, I feel awful physically and emotionally. It'll be a long week. I was wondering recently if I could compromise and have the odd drink... I have my answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Most of us have been there Scriba, glad that you are back. How long have your bouts of sobriety been before?

This is my 4th time off it permanently, I've been in your shoes several times. Looking back now that 1st time sober was horrible at times, very difficult and I was miserable. 2nd time slightly easier, maybe 5%.

Was just thinking today that I don't really remember my 3rd time sober, I guess at that stage it was becoming more normal and less eventful. Then it all clicked.

Persistence got me here, persistence in giving up and the persistence of getting walloped over the head time and again of ending up in the same place wanting to give up.

You have been sober for a while before, this isn't the first time so hopefully it is a bit easier for you this time round.

Has anyone read https://thisnakedmind.com/ It's THE book to read....apparently.

tinpib wrote: »
    Most of us have been there Scriba, glad that you are back. How long have your bouts of sobriety been before?

This is my 4th time off it permanently, I've been in your shoes several times. Looking back now that 1st time sober was horrible at times, very difficult and I was miserable. 2nd time slightly easier, maybe 5%.

Was just thinking today that I don't really remember my 3rd time sober, I guess at that stage it was becoming more normal and less eventful. Then it all clicked.

Persistence got me here, persistence in giving up and the persistence of getting walloped over the head time and again of ending up in the same place wanting to give up.

You have been sober for a while before, this isn't the first time so hopefully it is a bit easier for you this time round.

Most recently I did 20 months up until this summer holidays, where I would have a small glass of wine with one or two dinners. All harmless enough except for the fact that that compromise meant I gave myself permission somehow to stay up all night drinking whiskey last Saturday. Quite a leap!

Thanks for your message. I'll be fine, and I already have my head screwed back on about what I need to do. This is just a stumble, and I'll learn from it. Roll on end of day 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not posted here in a long time.

Was reminded of it because a few years back after Dublin winning an All Ireland I would be on litre of vodka. It is actually much more enjoyable sober. Was at match with daughter and we were home by 9 after spending a few hours in pub until people started to become incoherent!

Hope everyone is well. This thread was of great assistance when I was giving up.

For anyone in early stages or relapsing, stick with it. Took me a good few years and fallings down before got the better of it. It is worth sticking with. Being sober doesn't make problems disappear god knows, but it helps and as problems go, being dependent on alcohol is pretty much up there.

scriba wrote: »
    Most recently I did 20 months up until this summer holidays, where I would have a small glass of wine with one or two dinners. All harmless enough except for the fact that that compromise meant I gave myself permission somehow to stay up all night drinking whiskey last Saturday. Quite a leap!

Thanks for your message. I'll be fine, and I already have my head screwed back on about what I need to do. This is just a stumble, and I'll learn from it. Roll on end of day 2 :)

Fair play for starting over, each time you will learn something new and eventually it'll click and things will get easier. Habe you got any support? Going to be brutally honest if you are choosing to give up because you feel you have an addiction to alcohol then I'm afraid it's all or nothing. If it's just that you want to cut down and moderate that's another story. So it's up to you to decide what it is you need to do. From what you've said I think it's all or nothing but it's not for me to decide or tell you what to do I can only give an opinion. All I can say is either way grab support from wherever you can even say if AA isn't your thing give it a go just so you have a starting point, or talk to your gp if you haven't already. There might be other support groups in your area. Most support is free so take advantage of it it can't do any harm and it could make things a bit easier for you.

It was all or nothing for me, so I stopped completely on July 3rd. I'd set a date for July 4th (Independence Day, just because I thought it would be a good day to stop!) but decided I was ready on the 3rd, the time felt right. My support was my sister who had given up on the first of July. My focus was my children, I wanted to set a good example, not to be feeling out of control or for them to see me drinking daily. I also followed a Reddit sub.. https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/ I still check in daily.

Good luck to everyone here on your sober journey. Life is so much better without alcohol!

• Advertisement

Fair play for starting over, each time you will learn something new and eventually it'll click and things will get easier. Habe you got any support? Going to be brutally honest if you are choosing to give up because you feel you have an addiction to alcohol then I'm afraid it's all or nothing. If it's just that you want to cut down and moderate that's another story. So it's up to you to decide what it is you need to do. From what you've said I think it's all or nothing but it's not for me to decide or tell you what to do I can only give an opinion. All I can say is either way grab support from wherever you can even say if AA isn't your thing give it a go just so you have a starting point, or talk to your gp if you haven't already. There might be other support groups in your area. Most support is free so take advantage of it it can't do any harm and it could make things a bit easier for you.

Tons of support, thankfully. I never like to try to define my relationship with alcohol, as I feel it ends up in a never ending series of qualifications. I'm happy to consider it as a problematic relationship in which there is always a chance that I will drink more than I should and feel terrible. Alcohol amplifies all my existing fears, esteem issues, and weakens my ability to manage those issues in my life or to challenge my continuous negative inner monologue head on. So even though I have enjoyed the odd glass of wine over the summer, the fact that it leaves the door ajar for a slip like last week where my mental health and physical health are put at considerable risk, means that it has to be all or nothing for me. I'm genuinely ok with that, because I understand again that this is how it has to be.

Day 9. I feel positive, the anxiety and self loathing of last week have gone (for now), and I'm back to focusing on ensuring that I do the things I need to do each day to manage my life and stay the course.

On an aside, I watched the Adrian Chiles doc on YouTube. It was an interesting watch on the normalisation of binge drinking, and how we make excuses for our consumption and behaviour. Not a hard hitting examination by any means, but watching him struggle trying to understand the role of problem drinking in his life resonated a bit.

My focus was my children, I wanted to set a good example, not to be feeling out of control or for them to see me drinking daily.

Love this. Well done. :)

Love this. Well done. :)

Thankyou :)

Day 14, had a lovely morning playing with my son. Feeling better, but taking nothing for granted.

Hope things are going well for you all.

Two weeks! Well done :) Your son will remember these moments, happy ones.

One day at a time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Day 14, had a lovely morning playing with my son. Feeling better, but taking nothing for granted.

Hope things are going well for you all.

It is amazing how quickly you do feel better. Was reading some of my posts going back a few years when I was really struggling.

They are useful reminder of how miserable I was after years of drinking. Hard to believe I once thought it made me happy.

It is well worth the effort. Good luck.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It is amazing how quickly you do feel better. Was reading some of my posts going back a few years when I was really struggling.

They are useful reminder of how miserable I was after years of drinking. Hard to believe I once thought it made me happy.

It is well worth the effort. Good luck.

Good on you! Keep on trucking and grab help and support when if feel you need it even if it's just a quick chat with a friend

7 months yesterday.
    Couldn't click why the 25th was in the back of my head. Only remembered. Few challenges of late.

drydub wrote: »
    7 months yesterday.
    Couldn't click why the 25th was in the back of my head. Only remembered. Few challenges of late.

That's brilliant, well done!

I'm 86 days sober today thanks to the encouragement of my sister and Reddit, the 'stopdrinking' sub is a lifesaver for thousands of people like us.

• Advertisement

Posted here the other night and went to login to messenger to message a guy who reached out and helped me at the start a couple weeks in and found out he passed away a couple weeks after I messaged him last :(
    Can't stop thinking about him and how he may have passed etc he was young enough and healthy...

Advertisement