Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Corvo wrote: »
    Trying my best but I'm so ill and what I used spend on drink I have now blown on doctors and prescriptions.

Honestly, this is the lowest I have been in a long time.

Is the illness related to withdrawal from alcohol ? If it is then you simply must press on . It will get better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

marienbad wrote: »
    Is the illness related to withdrawal from alcohol ? If it is then you simply must press on . It will get better

I've been I'll since I gave it up to be honest (bar approx 6 days where I came to life) and I seem to be getting worse. My throat is covered in blisters all the way up to my lips.

I've been I'll since I gave it up to be honest (bar approx 6 days where I came to life) and I seem to be getting worse. My throat is covered in blisters all the way up to my lips.

I take it you are getting medical treatment , are you on medication ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You need to seek medical help now.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

To those who struggle with feelings of panic and stress as they await the passing of the post heavy-drinking and seemingly unending trauma, the words of Declan Coyle in his brilliant book 'The Green Platform' may be of some help:

Worry not about the future,
    The present is all that thou hast.
    The future will soon be the present,
    And the present will soon be the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

quinrea01 wrote: »
    To those who struggle with feelings of panic and stress as they await the passing of the post heavy-drinking and seemingly unending trauma, the words of Declan Coyle in his brilliant book 'The Green Platform' may be of some help:

Worry not about the future,
    The present is all that thou hast.
    The future will soon be the present,
    And the present will soon be the past.

Very wise words :) thanks for sharing

xzanti wrote: »
    Very wise words :) thanks for sharing
    I suppose what Declan is trying to say is that no matter how bad things might be, EVERYTHING is temporary. All is transient and all will pass into history.

Thanks for your thanks, xzanti.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

“Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

Drank this weekend. Sorry

We've all fallen by the wayside at some time. Put it behind you and start again. You can do it.

• Advertisement

What's done is done , learn, move on,

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Now that has flown by :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Twill be 4 years this coming August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

165 days or 23 weeks. Very close to my 6 month anniversary (*if anniversary is the right word to use in this situation? lol) The honeymoon period of absence is definitely over and the real hard work has begun. I am literally making no excuses any more and dragging myself to AA meetings twice weekly and have signed up to life coaching courses which help with issues I've suppressed for years. It really is quite difficult but like everything I know this hard stage too will pass and it will benefit me in the long run. Your comfort zone is a great place as they say but nothing ever grows there!

A thought struck me today in the car: I will never have to experience another hangover again for as long as I live! How liberating! #keeppositive #gettingstronger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

5 years today and last year was the best year of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

90 days today! No two ways about it it's been hard graft!! but with great struggle comes great strength!
    everyday I'm growing stronger just a little bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Guys I was wondering if some of you could offer advice.

I dont drink (aside from one night I haven't drank since last october) and in the last while I've been seeing a woman. Since I stopped drinking my social life has approved immensely and I regularly go to pubs etc with friends and just drink water, this is not a problem for me. (thankfully). Previously I'd go mad on a friday night and be in bits for the whole weekend. Now I can go out on the friday and do loads of stuff on the saturday and sunday all with no drink

However the woman I'm seeing drinks... this by itself is not an issue but when we are out she expects me to buy her some drinks on a night out. (to be fair she offers to get me drink too, or a mineral or whatever) I'd rather not spend a cent on alcohol again. Even worse when we went out the other night with her friends they started doing rounds... seen as I was drinking water I was not keen on buying six pints for her and her friends. Apparently I've shown her up in front of her friends now :rolleyes:

I'm not cheap and I pay for other things I just dont want to spend a cent on drink again even if it's not for me. Am I justified in taking this position or being weird?

Also since I've stopped drinking I have found that I find drunk women (not at the collapsing/puking stage but you know what I mean) extremely unattractive and this has caused friction between my girlfriend and I because when she's like that the only thing I wanna do is put her in a taxi and send her home, certainly not any amorous activity!

Having thought about it I think I'd probably be best trying to have a relationship with someone who also doesn't drink. I don't really see this relationship going anywhere for other reasons (I'm starting a new job and moving away in a few months) but it would be great to hear some advice for dealing with this type of situation in the future - should I examine and try to change my attitude/behavior, am I being unreasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

I have never bought alcohol for anybody else since I stopped drinking years ago. I don't go into pubs unless there is a band playing that I like. I find the pub boring and sitting with people drinking makes me die inside. I think you are right to maybe think about someone who doesn't drink as obviously you and the girl have different priorities. but I absolutely agree with you about buying alcohol and rounds etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I was not keen on buying six pints for her and her friends. Apparently I've shown her up in front of her friends now :rolleyes:

Tell her to do one. That's an absolutely ridiculous thing for her to say to you.

I was going out with someone when I first quit drinking. In my case, my girl still had her nights out with friends. I'd just do something else or stay home. Didn't bother me at all and she never minded if I didn't go. Me giving up made her cut back anyway, when she saw the multitude of benefits that quitting drinking brings.
    Anyway, point is, you don't need to find another teetotaler, just, ideally,someone who doesn't spend every weekend getting wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I happily buy drinks for family and friends when I am out, rare enough as that is. Just the one mind you, lol ;)
    I don't mind it at all, makes me feel good to do it, but there is no way it would be a weekly/regular thing which sounds like it is for you re: going out.

My feeling is that you just don't really want to be with her anymore, and it sounds like you'd be happier with someone who shares your new sober lifestyle. I think that's a good idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Back in one month now - has flown by.
    Hopefully lessons learned.
    Staying close to AA and working the programme.
    A lot of work & some change - but feel very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Off the drink 33 days today. I've been a heavy drinker since I was 18 but the last 3 or 4 years were just too much for me and I was basically left with two options, abstinence or die before I'm 40. I'm 28 this summer and I've a lot of time to catch up on, mentally I'm more prepared than ever.

I was just wondering when am I gonna start feeling physically better? After nearly 5 weeks sober I actually feel worse than I have in ages. I looked up the side effects of alcohol detox and the details are pretty vague, different symptoms for different people and all that. Just writing this now makes me realise I should probably see the doctor about this but regardless, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. Monday mornings are my new favourite time of the week, a complete turnaround from the last few years:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

GerB40 wrote: »
    Off the drink 33 days today. I've been a heavy drinker since I was 18 but the last 3 or 4 years were just too much for me and I was basically left with two options, abstinence or die before I'm 40. I'm 28 this summer and I've a lot of time to catch up on, mentally I'm more prepared than ever.

I was just wondering when am I gonna start feeling physically better? After nearly 5 weeks sober I actually feel worse than I have in ages. I looked up the side effects of alcohol detox and the details are pretty vague, different symptoms for different people and all that. Just writing this now makes me realise I should probably see the doctor about this but regardless, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. Monday mornings are my new favourite time of the week, a complete turnaround from the last few years:-)

I'm 28 and off drink 2 & a half years after being an alcoholic. It takes a while for your body to recover from the battering that alcohol gives you. I had serious sugar cravings because I was a beer drinker normally. Also your body would be used to the physical relaxation that alcohol gave you so you might find yourself more anxious. Try to eat healthier and regularly exercise that's what worked for me anyway.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I'm 28 and off drink 2 & a half years after being an alcoholic. It takes a while for your body to recover from the battering that alcohol gives you. I had serious sugar cravings because I was a beer drinker normally. Also your body would be used to the physical relaxation that alcohol gave you so you might find yourself more anxious. Try to eat healthier and regularly exercise that's what worked for me anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I reckon eating healthier should be easy enough but exercising is gonna be tough. Since I stopped drinking I have no energy whatsoever and I've been shakey as fúck. I knew it was gonna be hard so I suppose I'll just keep pushing myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Thanks for the advice. I reckon eating healthier should be easy enough but exercising is gonna be tough. Since I stopped drinking I have no energy whatsoever and I've been shakey as fúck. I knew it was gonna be hard so I suppose I'll just keep pushing myself..

I was the same. It is a case of forcing yourself in to it in slow steps. If you are still experiencing a lot of fatigue I would ask your doctor about it and see if there is anything he can advice to add to your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

Hi Ger,

I quit alcohol almost 4 weeks ago, aged 32. Drank a LOT up to a couple of years ago and for the last 18 months or so I was probably getting through a bottle of vodka a day with extra booze on top at weekends.
    4 weeks ago I was more than 3 stone over my ideal weight and felt absolutely awful. But I jumped in with a healthy diet (and some Xanax to steady the nerves while I detoxed) drank loads of water, went for some long walks, and after about 6 days I went out running. I used to run marathons when I was younger but on this day I actually thought I was going to die. Every part of me was in pain and it took me days to recover. But I knew working up a sweat like that would be good for speeding up the recovery process. It was. I ran again a few days later and then every 3 or 4 days. On Sunday I had a good run and went out again last night also. And I'm going again tonight. I've also dropped a stone in weight, in 26 days.
    So, that's what's working for me, exercise. I feel fitter and stronger than I have done in years. And all in less than 4 weeks.

I notice you say you feel mentally strong and you love Monday mornings so you're really on the right track in that regard. Best of luck!

Bill Lee wrote: »
    Hi Ger,

I quit alcohol almost 4 weeks ago, aged 32. Drank a LOT up to a couple of years ago and for the last 18 months or so I was probably getting through a bottle of vodka a day with extra booze on top at weekends.
    4 weeks ago I was more than 3 stone over my ideal weight and felt absolutely awful. But I jumped in with a healthy diet (and some Xanax to steady the nerves while I detoxed) drank loads of water, went for some long walks, and after about 6 days I went out running. I used to run marathons when I was younger but on this day I actually thought I was going to die. Every part of me was in pain and it took me days to recover. But I knew working up a sweat like that would be good for speeding up the recovery process. It was. I ran again a few days later and then every 3 or 4 days. On Sunday I had a good run and went out again last night also. And I'm going again tonight. I've also dropped a stone in weight, in 26 days.
    So, that's what's working for me, exercise. I feel fitter and stronger than I have done in years. And all in less than 4 weeks.

I notice you say you feel mentally strong and you love Monday mornings so you're really on the right track in that regard. Best of luck!

Nice one Bill.. It's very reassuring to know others have went through, and are going through, what I'm experiencing now. To be honest, in the last year and a half I abused prescription tablets far too much so I doubt my doctor will be putting me on them.
    It was anxiety disorder that started me drinking heavily in the first place so the idea of going for a run is fairly terrifying but it's just another obstacle I'll have to face. Keep up the good work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

Nice one Bill.. It's very reassuring to know others have went through, and are going through, what I'm experiencing now. To be honest, in the last year and a half I abused prescription tablets far too much so I doubt my doctor will be putting me on them.
    It was anxiety disorder that started me drinking heavily in the first place so the idea of going for a run is fairly terrifying but it's just another obstacle I'll have to face. Keep up the good work..

It was anxiety that did it for me too. I was on a very low dose of Xanax which became insufficient to quell my anxiety after weekends of drinking so, instead of quitting booze, weekends became whole weeks and months and years. Before that I had always kept my anxiety at bay with lots of exercise.

Obviously you can't go for a decent run if you're too mellowed out on pills so let me tell you the first time I went for a run again a few weeks ago, I was shakey and panicy as I hadn't taken really any pills that day, and it was tough to keep going not just physically, but mentally also. But I did, and it was a hurdle that was overcome, and the endorphins that flood your body afterwards will do wonders for your anxiety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'd also back up the idea of getting a lot of physical exercise and eating better.

I had the same feeling of exhaustion for a week or so after quitting drinking and just used to come home from work and only be fit to sit down and relax and then head off to bed early.

Then one day i just said "**** it" and went out and had a really long fast walk which i used to do every day about a year ago before my really heavy drinking period started. The sweat was hammering out of me and there were a couple of points where i was strongly considering turning back and going home but by the end i felt great and i've been doing the same most days since.

I've started eating properly again and i've lost a few pounds already and the brain-fog is definitely starting to clear. I look in the mirror and don't see a pair of bloodshot eyes staring back at me from a face that looks like death-warmed-up any more :P

It has really made me realise why i never want to drink again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Three years today (or tomorrow). And at the risk of sounding corny, I'm in love with life right now. My life has been transformed, I feel passion for what I do and find endless energy to do it. Don't get me wrong, I have the odd shaky moment where the demons arise but I have confidence in just accepting this as part of the human psyche and let them pass on through. I care MUCH less about what other people think or what I look like and am much more interested in getting out there and 'doing' what I love.

I have posted before about the changes I made and my approach but am open to any questions.

So if you are lurking here and considering quitting, don't wait another day - get a plan in place (check Realies brilliant posts for this!), read this forum for inspiration then take the plunge. You won't regret it.

Advertisement