Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I met up with some old drinking buddies this weekend and they were 'delighted' to see me as I've been lying low for a few months, and they knew I was off it.

However, it took 5 full minutes to insist I didn't want an alcoholic drink, an orange would be nicer thanks. Then one of them asked how did I find being off it to which I answered truthfully, great, I feel good thanks, without being smug. To which my 'friend' replied, without missing a beat, 'you just keep telling yourself that'.

FFS. I always live in hope that people will be supportive but they rarely genuinely are. It never ceases to disappoint me.

So I'm glad I can count on you guys for support and company. :)

PS: yes, I know drinking buddies aren't 'real' friends but you can't help missing some of the old characters you have spent years looking at across the counter at. Time to move on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

hubba wrote: »
    I met up with some old drinking buddies this weekend and they were 'delighted' to see me as I've been lying low for a few months, and they knew I was off it.

However, it took 5 full minutes to insist I didn't want an alcoholic drink, an orange would be nicer thanks. Then one of them asked how did I find being off it to which I answered truthfully, great, I feel good thanks, without being smug. To which my 'friend' replied, without missing a beat, 'you just keep telling yourself that'.

FFS. I always live in hope that people will be supportive but they rarely genuinely are. It never ceases to disappoint me.

PS: yes, I know drinking buddies aren't 'real' friends but you can't help missing some of the old characters you have spent years looking at across the counter at. Time to move on ...
    I had to get help to stop drinking, I was in treatment for 3 months.
    just 3 of my buddies come visit and when I got home it felt I had a disease and the rest were afraid it was contagious, lucky me lol.
    Real friends will accept you have a problem and be there if you need them and through the last few years I'm very lucky to have had them around :-)

hubba wrote: »

If they know how serious you are about giving it up & they start putting even the slightest bit of pressure on you to have a drink **** them to be honest. I'm off it a mere 7 weeks but my real mates know how serious I am about giving it up so there is none of that. Anyone that has said stop being boring just have a drink I've told them where to go, don't need people like that around you making it harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

People are just completely uneducated on the issue, alcohol is a serious narcotic, if it was discovered in the morning it would be illegal. It's much more dangerous than most class A drugs.

Some people seem to think that just cause it's legal it means it's a gift from the Gods. But my goodness, it's so toxic to your body. It's a fucking poison destroying Irish society and destroying lives. It's disgraceful. The Irish government aren't much better, they couldn't give two ****s, all they care about is the fat taxes it brings them in rather than educating people on the matter. Our nation is a disgraceful pack of alcoholics, there's about five percent of people in this country who are actually aware of the dangers alcohol poses. I don't understand it at all. Some people need their heads examined. I commend each and every one of you on this forum for making the decision not to drink, and as I start off on my long journey again (relapsed twice) I look forward to the view from your coat tails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buachaillban

Ever since I became a father my alcohol consumption has gone down about 90%, don't get me wrong, I wasn't a serious drinker, maybe an odd ''crazy'' night every few months, but I would generally drink 2-3 times a week, with about 4-6 pints each time.

Now I will go weeks without touching a sup, and may have a can of guinness on a Thursday or Friday night.

Years spent working behind a bar and seeing the devasting effect alcohol can have on people plus the horrible feeling you have the morning after a heavy night were all reason enough for me to curb the drinking.

PLUS and this is a rule in our house; if we have people over(party or whatever)and the kids are in the house, one of us stays off the drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dippyduck42

7 weeks today. I feel on top of the world, and I'm saving an absolute fortune!

2 months, unlike you I keep spending money on ****e lol. New tv has been bought among other things!

No drink in 17 days cravings are hard at times.:(

7 weeks today. I feel on top of the world, and I'm saving an absolute fortune!

Feels great, doesn't it? Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

318 days today,

Tis hard at times but have been going out a bit more lately and not minding not having a drink.

Christmas could be a different story though!!! but would like to make it to 365 days!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done cushtie. Keep it up and use the same plan and goal you have been using for the last year to get you through christmas,Remember why you stopped in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

47 days :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I had trouble from every direction possible so staying off it is easy .All my bills are paid on time and i don't wake in the morning wond'rin what new problem i've caused for myself. Xmases were always shaky times in fact most of the year was shaky...people don't laugh when they see me anymore . There's no attraction there at all .And i really mean it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

horsemeat wrote: »
    47 days :)

either you're not a great counter or I smell a troll - going by the below i'd go for the latter but I just wonder why bother?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75730710
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75686819

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    ... 10 days :D

Me too!!!!! Yay! Just have no idea what to do for NYE is all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

21 days, fell off the wagon xmas eve & xmas day, was salivating for a drink just couldn't resist watching everyone in the lounge and on tv drinking so dived on the Irish coffee's for the nite.:o

Got through Xmas and today, 3 months on the 5th of January!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

2 years today. I'm having the time of my life. A very happy 27 year old ;-)

2 years today. I'm having the time of my life. A very happy 27 year old ;-)

Well done wingman good for you :);)

Haven't touched a drop of alcohol in 3 years today. For me the best decision I ever made in my life :-)

• Advertisement

3 months & a bit accomplished! Feeling great

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

13 months since last drink and 9yrs since since drinking on consecutive weekends;I find there is sweet fa as an alternative means in rural Ireland (if you're not sporty) to meeting new people/nice women.Chronically lonely in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I have not drank since the start of the year. I have literally spent the last 15 years binge drinking at least 3 times per week. My body is wrecked I am very over weight and bloated. Deffo gonna keep it up. Its just not worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I quit September 4th of last year, I still enjoy being around drunks as I seem to come off less crazy. But its tough, I had one shakey moment over christmas when I was holding a a bottle of wine thinking "no-one will know" followed swiftly with me telling myself "I will".

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

1 year today....can't believe I actually lasted the whole year....and the good thing is it's getting easier all the time. :):)

4 months yesterday. Flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

no alcohol in 2 years! ;) Damn proud...now i dont even miss it anymore ;)

3 months & a bit accomplished! Feeling great
    migozarad wrote: »
    13 months since last drink and 9yrs since since drinking on consecutive weekends;I find there is sweet fa as an alternative means in rural Ireland (if you're not sporty) to meeting new people/nice women.Chronically lonely in Tipp
    ronan45 wrote: »
    I have not drank since the start of the year. I have literally spent the last 15 years binge drinking at least 3 times per week. My body is wrecked I am very over weight and bloated. Deffo gonna keep it up. Its just not worth it in the long run
    I quit September 4th of last year, I still enjoy being around drunks as I seem to come off less crazy. But its tough, I had one shakey moment over christmas when I was holding a a bottle of wine thinking "no-one will know" followed swiftly with me telling myself "I will".
    Cushtie wrote: »
    1 year today....can't believe I actually lasted the whole year....and the good thing is it's getting easier all the time. :):)
    4 months yesterday. Flying it.
    Raditub wrote: »
    no alcohol in 2 years! ;) Damn proud...now i dont even miss it anymore ;)

Great work every one :)

I just want to agree that it gets easier, much easier. I hardly think about it anymore when I'm just doing my own thing. Of course if you watch TV etc there is no getting away from it. Some might ask why I still check in here if it's not on my mind but to be honest I come here to remind myself that I'm sane, am doing the right thing and there are a few other (strong and wise) people like me around because some times I begin to wonder! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

We should have a boardsies night out to celebrate our new Pioneer Status!!!! ;)

Say Next friday @ Porterhouse???? :D

Advertisement