Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LurcherLad

Thanks everyone. I checked out a few of those videos this morning, some of them would make you appreciate everything you have. Here's to a sober and happy 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just wondering if many here have used Antabuse (disulfiram), if so for how long and what dosage?

I've started taking it recently, it seems I'm one of the unlucky few who gets side effects from it ... I don't really care though, my thinking is that the physical and mental side effects of alcohol are far worse, so I can easily put up with a bit of nausea and drowsiness! I'm currently planning on staying on it long-term ... forever, if necessary.

Are you doing anything else other than taking this, sorry if you've already said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

petes wrote: »
    Are you doing anything else other than taking this, sorry if you've already said :)

Residential programs in Stanhope and St Pats, AA and Lifering, counselling, all the rest! I'm a slow learner but I finally seem to have this alcoholism thing under control. :) But I do think Antabuse will be necessary for me as a last defence, sort of a security blanket I guess. I don't really care if it's a crutch - if it is, it's one I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

LurcherLad wrote: »
    Is there any good books anyone can recommend? I hear there are so very helpful ones out there.

This one works for me and many others, over 14 years sober for me now :

http://silkworth.net/audiobigbook/audiobigbook.html

Ps: Meetings everyday of the week all over Ireland, for fun and for free.

http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/Information-on-AA/Find-a-Meeting

But whatever road you choose, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

15 days...

I'm having some great moments sober and some tough ones ...

Onwards and upwards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Residential programs in Stanhope and St Pats, AA and Lifering, counselling, all the rest! I'm a slow learner but I finally seem to have this alcoholism thing under control. :) But I do think Antabuse will be necessary for me as a last defence, sort of a security blanket I guess. I don't really care if it's a crutch - if it is, it's one I need!

Do not drink on antabuse! I cannot emphasise enough how terrible this is. It is one memory in my life I wish I could erase. I get cold sweats just thinking of it.

Don't plan on taking it long term. AA is your safety blanket. Be regular and stick with the winners.

25 year alcoholic. 3 years in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

FortySeven wrote: »
    Do not drink on antabuse! I cannot emphasise enough how terrible this is. It is one memory in my life I wish I could erase. I get cold sweats just thinking of it.

Don't plan on taking it long term. AA is your safety blanket. Be regular and stick with the winners.

25 year alcoholic. 3 years in recovery.

Don't think she is into AA at present, but I am with you as AA works for me.

I met a man at a meeting last year, he has permanent heart damage as a result of drinking on antabuse, ***shudders***

I guess I'm taking a belt-and-braces approach! :D I'd love to think that AA and Lifering and my own willpower will keep me sober, but I know myself too well. Maybe down the line I'll have the confidence to go without Antabuse, but for now, I think it's necessary. The side effects are a pain in the arse, but then again they're a good reminder that it's actually doing something. There is no way I'll drink on it, no matter what, I've heard far too many horror stories!

I guess I'm taking a belt-and-braces approach! :D I'd love to think that AA and Lifering and my own willpower will keep me sober, but I know myself too well. Maybe down the line I'll have the confidence to go without Antabuse, but for now, I think it's necessary. The side effects are a pain in the arse, but then again they're a good reminder that it's actually doing something. There is no way I'll drink on it, no matter what, I've heard far too many horror stories!

Whatever works for you.
    I managed to get 3 cans into me before I made the foetal position. Stayed there for 3 days and nights. Just a brain of pain. Heart racing, sure I would die. Whimpering like a puppy. Pissed myself. Cried like a baby. Didn't really recover for a few weeks. Not to be messed with that antabuse.

You will get past the fear of the antabuse if you are determined to drink. You need to fear the drink itself. It is a much more serious proposition than a few days curled up in a ball crying in a pool of your own piss.
    It is a lifetime of it you should be afraid of.

Use every resource available to you as it is a vile foe you are fighting. If antabuse helps then use it but have a timeframe in mind and a goal to aim for or you will forever think you will drink if you stop it. Means to an end.

Remember. You're not losing the ability to drink. You're gaining the ability to live sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

FortySeven wrote: »
    You're not losing the ability to drink. You're gaining the ability to live sober.

Nice one, very good. That's how I feel now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Beginning to relate to this. But that is a sceal for another thread.

I am actually here to say well done you champs! Keep going. It's worth it. Every small thing is a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LurcherLad

The comradery here it's really great to see. Ive been listening to the big book of AA audio book and it has been a help and helped me notice or realize things that may not of been so clear to me about myself and my drinking. The link was posted a little earlier in the thread of any of ye want to check it out. :)

17 days ...

It's a hard day today .
    Depression and anxiety at a peak due to losing my self-medication I.e alcohol .
    Dwelling on the past and worrying about the future ...

But it's a bad medicine which makes things worse in the long run. Just have to get through today...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Laeot wrote: »
    17 days ...

It's a hard day today .

But it's a bad medicine which makes things worse in the long run. Just have to get through today...

Do you exercise?

When I feel like that I try and force myself out for a run. It always makes an improvement, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Sometimes for an hour sometimes for the whole day.

But it's guaranteed to make at least some type of positive change.

Exercise, like anything, is just a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

17 days ...

It's a hard day today .

Days like this will happen. I still have them. Think how you'd feel tomorrow if you drank, 100 times worse I'd imagine. Get out for a walk, watch a movie, I know easier said than done but it does help and it is just for today!

petes wrote: »
    Days like this will happen. I still have them. Think how you'd feel tomorrow if you drank, 100 times worse I'd imagine. Get out for a walk, watch a movie, I know easier said than done but it does help and it is just for today!
    tinpib wrote: »
    Do you exercise?

When I feel like that I try and force myself out for a run. It always makes an improvement, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Sometimes for an hour sometimes for the whole day.

But it's guaranteed to make at least some type of positive change.

Exercise, like anything, is just a habit.

Thanks folks...

Heading out for a spin with the missus and kids now ...

I have an extremely testing time ahead in the next few months ( legal problem caused by drinking ) and it has taken over my whole brain ..

Thanks again

Made it through day 17 sober. Cup of tea now on the couch.

Onwards and upwards ....

Take care everybody ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Made it through day 17 sober. Cup of tea now on the couch.

Onwards and upwards ....

Take care everybody ...

Just outstanding Laeot , you can take strength from your resolve in getting through today and enjoy your cuppa , you earned it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Laeot

What are you plans for when the intense urge to just have the one which is never just the one comes along ? and it will hit you when you least expect it, you need to keep your goals active and forever working towards them,get back into old hobbies,exercise,watch films, anything to keep your mind n body active, keep moving forward your doing great :-)

42 days today. Six weeks. :)

• Advertisement

Well done , a long time , you are now well on the road to a sober life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Yes well done lady ;) keep up the great work your doing for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone else get the same repetitive question "so when you going back on the drink again?"

Most think I'm doing it for training then you have others wondering did I break out over the stag or after any particular weekend I go away.

It seems like they have an interest in how I'm doing or just seem to be jealous of my sobriety?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Anyone else get the same repetitive question "so when you going back on the drink again?"

Most think I'm doing it for training then you have others wondering did I break out over the stag or after any particular weekend I go away.

It seems like they have an interest in how I'm doing or just seem to be jealous of my sobriety?

I think people that drink regularly and don't suffer as a consequence are more intrigued than nosy when they ask me about my sobriety. To be honest, I think I'd be the first person to pick the brain of an alcoholic if I wasn't one myself. My closest friends know pretty much everything about my struggle with drink because they're a curious lot and I like to feel like I've educated people in some small way.

The habits, behaviours and motivations for a recovering alcoholic are far different than the vast majority of Irish people so I can understand why they want to know more about me/us.
    It can get head wreckin sometimes though, people trying to psychoanalyse me when they're half cut and I'm there with a mi-wadi and water but honestly, i'd be more annoyed if no one cared at all...

Irish_rat wrote: »

I can only speak for myself but most of the people who spoke like that to me only did so because if I had a problem so had they .

Some are dead now ,some still at it and some in AA .

Just ignore them and keep your eye on the prize

19 days .....

Keeping myself busy ...
    Still worrying about getting to work everyday if I Lose my driving licence for 2 years :(

Anyway I'm still sober...

Take care all..

19 days .....

Keeping myself busy ...
    Still worrying about getting to work everyday if I Lose my driving licence for 2 years :(

Anyway I'm still sober...

Take care all..

I've 6 driving bans behind me in three countries. It is amazing how you make it work. Now driving legally and sober. Don't sweat the small stuff. You will find a way. Best of luck with it.

21 days = 3 weeks ...

Emotions are up and down but physically the difference is amazing in terms of fitness and energy...

Onwards and upwards .

Take care all!

21 days = 3 weeks ...

Emotions are up and down but physically the difference is amazing in terms of fitness and energy...

Onwards and upwards .

Take care all!

Well done! By the way, are you taking thiamin supplements? They are usually recommended for 3-6 months after stopping drinking, most heavy drinkers are deficient and it takes a few months up build it up in your system.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lady ...
    Popping multivitamins every day which contain thiamin.
    Even in my 120 alcohol-units-a-week phase I always did..

Advertisement