Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

46 days sober today. :) Hardly a major or significant landmark, but watching the days stack up means a lot more to me than watching the weeks or months. So it mightn't be a round figure or a huge milestone, but it's 46 days straight of waking up with a clear conscience and a little bit more hope and confidence than was there the previous morning.

Some reflections ...

I've been told by my counsellors numerous times, "You are not your addiction." This didn't really make sense to me until I recently came across an article entitled, "My addiction speaks to me in my own voice." And that's when I realised that this has been an issue with me. I don't get a little independent voice, a devil on my shoulder as such, telling me to drink. My brain tells me to drink, in its calmest, most logical, sensible way. It justifies it and rationalises it, and it's only relatively recently that I've been able to separate my addiction into a compartment - almost a personality of it's own - within me. And when I get those old desires, I can recognise them - that it is not me thinking those thoughts, it is my addiction trying to control me again. I find this viewpoint helps me.

On a related note, yes, my addiction has all of my bad traits ... but I also need to recognise that it has all of my positive attributes, in spades. I would consider myself to be an intelligent resilient resourceful person. My addiction is all of those things, too. It will always adapt in an attempt to survive and thrive, and if ever I become complacent, that's when I'll relapse.

Something new I've learned about recovery. To me, recovery represented my addiction becoming less powerful. That is never going to happen. I am the one who has had to change; I have discovered more strength and knowledge and humility and moral fibre and self-discipline and courage than I ever thought was within me. I don't know where it's come from - I'm yet to accept existence of a higher power - but I'm lucky and grateful to have it. Being in recovery does not mean no longer experiencing cravings - or "compulsions", as I described them. It means I now have enough control and perspective and power to view these compulsions as mere "notions", that I can experience in a mindful manner and hold and turn around in my head, without acting on them or being upset by them.

I know all about "dry drunk" syndrome. A few weeks ago, this was about the pinnacle I hoped I might ever achieve. That I might SOMEHOW eventually achieve some sort of relatively stable sobriety, despite my history and against all odds. But that it would be a life of misery, with the sceptre of relapse forever looming over me and threatening to overcome me once again. Now, this isn't how I feel. I finally believe a sober happy life is within my grasp, and what's more, I'm finally beginning to feel I deserve it. The internal turmoil is beginning to ease. I'm a good person with a horrible tenacious addiction. But there is very real hope of a bright future, where I'm stronger and happier and better than ever before.

But today ... today, I'm just grateful for this beautiful 46th day. And I'm going to make it a good one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

46 days sober today. :) Hardly a major or significant landmark, but watching the days stack up means a lot more to me than watching the weeks or months. So it mightn't be a round figure or a huge milestone, but it's 46 days straight of waking up with a clear conscience and a little bit more hope and confidence than was there the previous morning.

Some reflections ...

I've been told by my counsellors numerous times, "You are not your addiction." This didn't really make sense to me until I recently came across an article entitled, "My addiction speaks to me in my own voice." And that's when I realised that this has been an issue with me. I don't get a little independent voice, a devil on my shoulder as such, telling me to drink. My brain tells me to drink, in its calmest, most logical, sensible way. It justifies it and rationalises it, and it's only relatively recently that I've been able to separate my addiction into a compartment - almost a personality of it's own - within me. And when I get those old desires, I can recognise them - that it is not me thinking those thoughts, it is my addiction trying to control me again. I find this viewpoint helps me.

On a related note, yes, my addiction has all of my bad traits ... but I also need to recognise that it has all of my positive attributes, in spades. I would consider myself to be an intelligent resilient resourceful person. My addiction is all of those things, too. It will always adapt in an attempt to survive and thrive, and if ever I become complacent, that's when I'll relapse.

Something new I've learned about recovery. To me, recovery represented my addiction becoming less powerful. That is never going to happen. I am the one who has had to change; I have discovered more strength and knowledge and humility and moral fibre and self-discipline and courage than I ever thought was within me. I don't know where it's come from - I'm yet to accept existence of a higher power - but I'm lucky and grateful to have it. Being in recovery does not mean no longer experiencing cravings - or "compulsions", as I described them. It means I now have enough control and perspective and power to view these compulsions as mere "notions", that I can experience in a mindful manner and hold and turn around in my head, without acting on them or being upset by them.

I know all about "dry drunk" syndrome. A few weeks ago, this was about the pinnacle I hoped I might ever achieve. That I might SOMEHOW eventually achieve some sort of relatively stable sobriety, despite my history and against all odds. But that it would be a life of misery, with the sceptre of relapse forever looming over me and threatening to overcome me once again. Now, this isn't how I feel. I finally believe a sober happy life is within my grasp, and what's more, I'm finally beginning to feel I deserve it. The internal turmoil is beginning to ease. I'm a good person with a horrible tenacious addiction. But there is very real hope of a bright future, where I'm stronger and happier and better than ever before.

But today ... today, I'm just grateful for this beautiful 46th day. And I'm going to make it a good one. :)

Lady 46 days sober IS a milestone , every day sober is a milestone . Your's is a brilliant post and it is so heartening to read it . Just realize the bright future is this very day so as you say make it a good one .

All your comrades in arms here are rooting for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

way to go. That's super and such great progress. You are having faith and believing it can be done. I think most of us have gone or are going through many changes. It's all part of the process. Quitting or reducing your drinking is just one part.
    Coming face to face with & learning to deal with your demons or triggers is yet another. Please just remember to take things one day at a time.
    Be kind to yourself, pamper yourself a little , give yourself a treat, you deserve it. :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LurcherLad

Hi all. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Its been two weeks now since my binge and thankfully I'm still holding it together. Physically I'm definitely feeling the rewards but mentally I'd be abit fragile but I know from the past this will pass with time. Anyway I hope everyone is well. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Lurcherlad, Mentally the more free alcohol time you have the more the drink brain will kick in to say that your alright,sure it was nothing,sure everybody else is doing it or are worse than you were ever, Stopping drinking is not just about stopping drinking,its a whole new way of life,get a plan together,get active in what ever you always wanted to do, start doing it now,failing to plan is planing to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LurcherLad

Lurcherlad, Mentally the more free alcohol time you have the more the drink brain will kick in to say that your alright,sure it was nothing,sure everybody else is doing it or are worse than you were ever, Stopping drinking is not just about stopping drinking,its a whole new way of life,get a plan together,get active in what ever you always wanted to do, start doing it now,failing to plan is planing to fail.

Yeah I understand what your saying mouse. May just keep the best side out and stay focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hi All.

On holidays at the moment and still sober in 2016. I had this holiday planned as incentive to work on a project and it worked out perfectly.

However on Saturday night I got bored and then felt miserable. I didn't have the good angel/bad angel debate so was not really tempted to drink but this was pretty much the first time all year I had my ould enemy boredom to contend with.

I just sucked it up for a few hours and got through it. But it was a reminder of how horrible that boredom can be, for me anyway. In particular the first time I gave up 'permanently', this is my 4th attempt, I felt that bored and miserable pretty much all day, every day for around 4-6 weeks.

Just having that boredom for a few hours was a reminder of how awful that was and how I want/need to avoid it. Looking back I don't know how i didn't go back drinking sooner feeling like that for that length of time.

So the rest of the holiday has been fine, I didn't do the usual of going to bars after the beach as I would have done in the past. This is my first holiday sober and apart from those few hours it's been fine, different but fine. This has been a holiday to do nothing, due to the fact I was flat out busy for the 3 months before this.

I have another holiday booked in 4 months time and thankfully I have another long list of little projects that I am looking forward to getting cracking on once I get back. This has been an incredibly cheap holiday due to not drinking, and I can afford to go on holiday more often due to not drinking. It's win/win.

I do think at times that all I'm doing is substituting one addiction, drinking, for another, work. But at the minute it is working out well for me. My social life is close to non existent at the moment outside of work, and that's ok right now but in the medium term I would like to try and broaden my horizons socially.

But right now I feel like what I am doing now works for me and how my brain works. Set myself goals/deadlines/rewards(holiday), work very hard at that, close to 7 days a week, then have time off.

I read and enjoyed "Sober is the New Black" as recommended here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057548514 on the trip too.

Good luck to everyone here, as has often been repeated everyone is different and you need to figure out what is best for you. As for me I'm definitely getting better at being sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Interested, are you on holidays by yourself, or friends, or wife and kids etc, I would struggle to go on holidays without drink, at least work keeps you busy, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Had a week long lapse after deciding that "a pint" would do no harm before a match.

Have the Xanax in so here we go again. Bright side is that since September 2014 I've been off it more than on.

Any reason you're on Xanax rather than Librium? Just curious!

• Advertisement

Any reason you're on Xanax rather than Librium? Just curious!

Have seen other people on Librium. Not good. Xanax helped me last time to get over the bad part. Just takes the edge off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Have seen other people on Librium. Not good. Xanax helped me last time to get over the bad part. Just takes the edge off.

Did librium myself, never had any issues. Went through treatment with a xanax addict though, there was one at the meeting I was at tonight too. Not preaching but be careful with that. Good luck.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Did librium myself, never had any issues. Went through treatment with a xanax addict though, there was one at the meeting I was at tonight too. Not preaching but be careful with that. Good luck.

Well, did the whole crawling up the walls stuff before so it will get me over the few days. Why I was stupid enough to go back drinking is another thing :(:(

Well, did the whole crawling up the walls stuff before so it will get me over the few days. Why I was stupid enough to go back drinking is another thing :(:(

What's done is done , learn from it and move on . Tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning .

We are all with you .

marienbad wrote: »
    What's done is done , learn from it and move on . Tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning .

We are all with you .

I was sitting in pub before the match, had won a few bob and thought the Guinness looked nice. Which lots of people do, but they don't get up on a Monday hoping there is enough vodka to make me able to get dressed and out the door.

it is a fkn curse. No doubt. But a rod I made for my own back. This time.

Interested, are you on holidays by yourself, or friends, or wife and kids etc, I would struggle to go on holidays without drink, at least work keeps you busy, fair play to you.

Thanks.

On holidays by myself. I'm living abroad on my own. Which I think actually made it easier to give up. This is my 3rd time giving it up here, 1st time was in Ireland and of course I was fielding questions on why/how long/when you going back etc.

Over here I have no family occasions, commitments, triggers, no interrogations, well very few, it's great in that way. I'm playing by own rules with no one to answer to.

On the down side AA or other similar support groups isn't an option really, my language skills wouldn't be great, I think it is here though in some form. But it's no big deal at the minute, just would be nice if it was there. Of course there are alternatives online now.

Ya, work is keeping me busy. I work for myself 9-5, plus I have my side projects.

Those side projects would just be yet another idea if I were boozeing.

Just back home this second. Feel rejuvenated. Will probably just re-institutionalise myself this working week, no ambitious aims or anything, but really looking forward to getting the head down and working away once I'm settled.

marienbad wrote: »

We are all with you .

Hi Bonnie, just to echo what Marienbad says, learn from it and move on. As you say you have been off drink more than on it for 18 months, that experience like anything in life will stand to you. I'm sure you will continue to get better at being sober.

tinpib wrote: »
    Hi Bonnie, just to echo what Marienbad says, learn from it and move on. As you say you have been off drink more than on it for 18 months, that experience like anything in life will stand to you. I'm sure you will continue to get better at being sober.

That's the plan. First times I gave up were hell. Have the Xanax so not worried about the worst things now. Avoid matches maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That's the plan. First times I gave up were hell. Have the Xanax so not worried about the worst things now. Avoid matches maybe :)

It's a tough auld slog mate ☺️ currently 68 days sober. Have good days and bad days like most. I'd say Thursday for some reason I might have drank but I didn't, it is one day at a time. I don't go to AA but some of their sayings etc. do apply but it's not for me. As another said take care with the Xanax, I was on it for quite a while and still can get more if needed but last weekend I stopped and had a pretty bad few days, best used for emergencies which is what it sounds like you are doing.

I too went back on it for a week and thankfully it was only a week. Always handy to have here or somewhere for a wee vent or words of encouragement from those that have been there or still there ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I used to wonder that myself when I'd find myself back with a drink in my hand, after having swore I'd never touch it again, (and genuinely never wanting to touch it again). But there I was, drunk again.

I found the answer to the riddle in AA, specifically in the Big Book's chapter called More About Alcoholism.
    Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people.
    The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

The rest here, might be of interest:

http://anonpress.org/bb/Page_30.htm

• Advertisement

Feel like death warmed up but got rid of all the drink. Xanax should help me sleep and tomorrow be better. Only have a week's course so that should enough to get over the hump.

Is it a reducing dose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

6 days today.
    Its the longest in over 3 years for me. This morning was the first saturday morning in 3 years ive woken without a hangover.
    Im sitting now with a ginger and lemon tea.
    I have been drinking on average 9-10 bottles of wine per week. Ive never missed work and nobody bar my oh knows how much ive been drinking ive lied to my gp about how much I drink. But it has become a real problem affecting me mentally and physically.

I plan on staying off it for the next 3 weeks and then ive a weekend away with Family where im hoping I can stick to 4 or 5 bottles of beer a day over the weekend and then just drink at special occasions maybe 4 or 5 times a year after this.

Im feeling very proud of myself having got through the week so far I intend getting some milk thistle tomorrow to help my poor liver heal from the years of abuse.

I have found real strenght reading through this forum so thank you everyone. Wish me luck.

Massive well done to you, you're doing a great thing. You say you've never missed work or anything - as someone who has hit every rock bottom there is, and been through every treatment going, I'd say to you that you DO NOT need to hit rock bottom to see that there's a problem and to remedy it. You're in a really good, fortunate position here.

The first few days truly are the hardest so by getting this far in, you're doing brilliantly. Congrats! :)

Might I suggest Lifering meetings to you? If you're in an area where they're held. They're all about celebrating an alcohol-free substance-free lifestyle - whether you were an alcoholic drinker or not. Might be good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Massive well done to you, you're doing a great thing. You say you've never missed work or anything - as someone who has hit every rock bottom there is, and been through every treatment going, I'd say to you that you DO NOT need to hit rock bottom to see that there's a problem and to remedy it. You're in a really good, fortunate position here.

The first few days truly are the hardest so by getting this far in, you're doing brilliantly. Congrats! :)

Might I suggest Lifering meetings to you? If you're in an area where they're held. They're all about celebrating an alcohol-free substance-free lifestyle - whether you were an alcoholic drinker or not. Might be good for you!

Thanks so much. Yes it has been a tough week, last night was the biggest hurdle for me so im glad to have it over and I feel great.

Im really nervous about the weekend away and if I cant manage to get through it with moderate drinking I intend giving up altogether so it will be a big test for me. The plan is never to drink wine again and im not particularly fond of beer so hope ill be fine with sipping a few.

I might consider meetings down the line if I find im struggling to conquer this by myself.

Is it a reducing dose?

It is. Last nine days. Feeling a bit shaky but nothing like the horrors I remember.

Feeling better already. Sleeping a lot and was flaked out in front of TV with dogs after a long walk. The tablets are strong, but partly yesterday that was probably from alcohol still in system from day before. Would recommend that anyone going this way, leave at least 12 hours before last drink and starting the tabs. otherwise you feel groggy for the day. Important as well to strictly follow doctor's dosage intake.

So that hopefully is that. Memory bank of previous disasters hopefully be enough not to be ever again stupid enough again to think that the odd pint will do no harm!

Hope everyone here is having a good weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Had a slip. Went to Galway with friends and ended up drinking. Now that in itself wasn't so bad as I was pretty sober and didn't drink heavily, problem is, the next day, (Saturday) I needed the cure so bad that I started drinking vodka at 9am and didn't stop until 3pm yesterday. Feel so bad and very upset with myself. I drank in secret without friends noticing and have been locked away in my room for last 2 days with no food and just a small bit of water. I have absolutely no one that I can speak to about it so just wanted to vent here. Sometimes I think I should speak to my GP but don't want it on record. I worry about myself and feel vulnerable. Back to work tomorrow and feel very dodgy, part of me wants to ring in sick but the other part of me thinks, no you f**ked up and now you need to deal with the consequences. I've decided to bite the bullet and go to work but just feel very alone and isolated. Thank God for this forum.

Had a slip. Went to Galway with friends and ended up drinking. Now that in itself wasn't so bad as I was pretty sober and didn't drink heavily, problem is, the next day, (Saturday) I needed the cure so bad that I started drinking vodka at 9am and didn't stop until 3pm yesterday. Feel so bad and very upset with myself. I drank in secret without friends noticing and have been locked away in my room for last 2 days with no food and just a small bit of water. I have absolutely no one that I can speak to about it so just wanted to vent here. Sometimes I think I should speak to my GP but don't want it on record. I worry about myself and feel vulnerable. Back to work tomorrow and feel very dodgy, part of me wants to ring in sick but the other part of me thinks, no you f**ked up and now you need to deal with the consequences. I've decided to bite the bullet and go to work but just feel very alone and isolated. Thank God for this forum.

Hang in there , you are not alone , there are 1000's of us . Keep in touch - sometimes it is at its darkest before the dawn as the cliché goes , but like all clichés there is a strong element of truth in there .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I'm debating whether rehab is the best option for me now, seriously - 2 x litre bottles of vodka have been drunk over the past 3 days and even though I don't feel like drinking anymore, I think this same scenario will keep happening

Advertisement