Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It has been a big help to me anyway.

Welcome!

thank you bonniedog, this is my first step and they say thats the hardest. onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hunter101 wrote: »
    thank you bonniedog, this is my first step and they say thats the hardest. onwards and upwards

It is. Took me a long time to realise I had a problem. It is not easy, and there are ups and downs, but you will feel the better of it. And very quickly as well.

If I was you I would maybe visit a doctor as well. I found the first time stopping very difficult and was much easier when I had medical help for a week or so.

It is. Took me a long time to realise I had a problem. It is not easy, and there are ups and downs, but you will feel the better of it. And very quickly as well.

If I was you I would maybe visit a doctor as well. I found the first time stopping very difficult and was much easier when I had medical help for a week or so.

been through that over a year ago and didnt work then, have to see my gp in 3 weeks time so goint to try and stick it out until then but will talk to her about options when i do see her.
    thanks once again for the kind words bonniedog

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hi Hunter101 - welcome to the Non-drinkers forum. You will find great support here. I certainly have.

@tinpib - many thanks for your kind words or support and advice. I'll definitely look into some of those suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

been through that over a year ago and didnt work then, have to see my gp in 3 weeks time so goint to try and stick it out until then but will talk to her about options when i do see her.
    thanks once again for the kind words bonniedog

Well I found the first few days the worst so was glad of the help, but you seem to have a plan so good luck. As I said, not long back on the rails after short and stupid relapse and was much easier this time. As someone else above said, it is like sports, the more practise you have the easier it becomes :) Hopefully, I won't be putting that to the test again!

• Advertisement

Well I found the first few days the worst so was glad of the help, but you seem to have a plan so good luck. As I said, not long back on the rails after short and stupid relapse and was much easier this time. As someone else above said, it is like sports, the more practise you have the easier it becomes :) Hopefully, I won't be putting that to the test again!

everybody makes mistakes keep the chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

JupiterKid wrote: »
    @tinpib - many thanks for your kind words or support and advice. I'll definitely look into some of those suggestions.

No problem. Everyone is different, maybe they will help you now, maybe they are something to think about in the future.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

hi all, i have written on other posts today and i hope you dont mind me writing here. i have battled drink for about 3 and a half years now. it has cost me my friends, the respect of my family although thankfully no major falling out. i denied the problem to myself the past two years when people said it to me but maybe i wasnt ready to listen, but after this weekend gone and when i see what i put my partner through i want nothing else but to be sober for her sake and my own too, she deserves better. drink has cost me more in my life than i ever knew possible but i wont let me cost it my love. we have gone through too much together. but i feel im on my last straw. i have seen an addiction councillor and left it, im on antidepressants too. but even with all the warning signs in place i feel like i was blinded by my dependency to drink. only on day one but would love to use this forum and ones akin to it as a support both giving and recieving? thats just a small bit of my story hope its ok to post here

Best of luck to you hunter. I'm useless at reading through all previous posts but did you say you had been to AA? I found it was what got me to stay off the drink.

Best of luck to you hunter. I'm useless at reading through all previous posts but did you say you had been to AA? I found it was what got me to stay off the drink.

no i havent been to aa, i attended an addiction councillor over a year ago but never followed up. was advised to go to one by a friend but not local as i live in a rural area and would meet people i know but im off the road so have no way to get to them.

no i havent been to aa, i attended an addiction councillor over a year ago but never followed up. was advised to go to one by a friend but not local as i live in a rural area and would meet people i know but im off the road so have no way to get to them.

Well I can only give you my opinion but I would make it my business to get to one. Unless you are up a mountain somewhere there will be one on at 8.30 every night not too far from you. Getting sober is not easy and I certainly would not have done it on my own.

• Advertisement

Well I can only give you my opinion but I would make it my business to get to one. Unless you are up a mountain somewhere there will be one on at 8.30 every night not too far from you. Getting sober is not easy and I certainly would not have done it on my own.

thanks for the advice, not sure what to expect at one though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

thanks for the advice, not sure what to expect at one though?

Just relax when you get there , you don't have to say or do anything , just listen as best you can.

I was going to meetings for many many months before I ever said a word . And don't worry too much about meeting people you know , they are there for the very same reasons you are .

marienbad wrote: »
    Just relax when you get there , you don't have to say or do anything , just listen as best you can.

I was going to meetings for many many months before I ever said a word . And don't worry too much about meeting people you know , they are there for the very same reasons you are .

next local meeting is next monday evening so im going to go there, think it might be for the best, seemed to work for alot of people on here

next local meeting is next monday evening so im going to go there, think it might be for the best, seemed to work for alot of people on here

AA worked for me and still does and I am contentedly sober a good few years now .

Next Monday seems a bit far away , is there no way you can get to a meeting sooner . I remember when I was starting out the mantra was 90 meetings in 90 days . And I took it seriously and like you I was in a small town at the time with only a few meetings , and like you I was without a car . So I thumbed , bussed , cadged lifts , whatever it took to make those meetings.

I am certain the effort I put in getting to the meetings as well as the meeting themselves all served to get me sober and keep me sober .

And when you connect at meeting lifts become easier and so on.

Give it everything you have to give and you will be surprised at the results .

ill have to look into it more so, that might be difficult to achieve but ill have to see, didnt know that was required though

ill have to look into it more so, that might be difficult to achieve but ill have to see, didnt know that was required though

I would hesitate to say what is required , that is just what was recommended to me at the time . And I wanted it so bad I was 'prepared to go to any lengths ' to get it . So that is what I did , sometimes I went to two and three meeting a day just to keep the ball rolling . Whatever it took .

People might think it was excessive and maybe it was , but I never batted an eyelash at going to a pub every day or even two and three times on some days .

I suppose you could say that just as I took my drinking seriously I took getting sober even more so .

marienbad wrote: »
    I would hesitate to say what is required , that is just what was recommended to me at the time . And I wanted it so bad I was 'prepared to go to any lengths ' to get it . So that is what I did , sometimes I went to two and three meeting a day just to keep the ball rolling . Whatever it took .

People might think it was excessive and maybe it was , but I never batted an eyelash at going to a pub every day or even two and three times on some days .

I suppose you could say that just as I took my drinking seriously I took greeting sober even more so .

thats the attitude i have right now to be honest, going to look into different locations and see if i can organise a few lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Hunter, I hope you do go to the meeting, and if you do I wish you good luck.

i am going to go, it seems to have helped so many people on here

Good man, and as marionbad suggested, I would get to one sooner rather than later. Remember you are doing this for yourself and nobody else.

• Advertisement

Good man, and as marionbad suggested, I would get to one sooner rather than later. Remember you are doing this for yourself and nobody else.

thanks for all the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

In more ways than you can imagine. Read the promises. They were my hope when I went in and they have come true. Nearly 4 years sober after a 25 year binge that led me to unspeakable places, over and over again.

Now everyone knows I'm an alcoholic. Even my employer. Nobody cares if you are not drinking. ;-)

I'm not saying tell everyone but don't stress about people finding out.

was just in with my gp to get a cert for work for the last few days, told her my intentions to quit drinking for good. have to see her again in 3 weeks and we discuss more options then, just want to try it on my own firstly if i can, but know i can make the 3 week mark, might help me over that hump if she advises me then. thank you once again to everybody on here for all your kind words and advice. Day 2 now, only the beginning but that number will be alot bigger in time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

6 months today, hard to believe really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

A friend of mine wrote this piece, she was a party animal like myself and drank most nights of the week. We spent quite a bit of time together drinking like crazy and taking drugs. Many a bender we went on sometimes for days at a time. Anyway, the happy ending is she hasn't drank or smoked or taken any drugs in over 4 years now.

http://lifeislimitless.com/my-year-without-alcohol-an-honest-account/

For someone like myself who thought or thinks you will be unhappy without alcohol this worth a read, inspiring stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It's a week for me today.

Went to Lidl earlier on to do a bit of shopping and made myself walk past the alcohol section a few times just to prove to myself that i could do it without something ending up in my trolley. It might sound silly, but on my way home i was feeling brave so popped into the service station where i normally bought my drink to see what would happen there as well.

I left with a 6 pack of 7UP cans because i just felt like having something other than water to drink this evening :P

I've had a couple of crap days since this day last week but overall i'm just simply feeling better and i'm starting to really realise that going back to the booze now will only **** that up.

I can't drink like normal people so it's just something in my life that is now closed off from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I'm trying to convince myself that a single digestif didn't break a 7 month streak I had going. do I have a case?

I'm trying to convince myself that a single digestif didn't break a 7 month streak I had going. do I have a case?

Of course you have a case , one slip doesn't negate all you have learnt in that 7 months . Now learn from this and move on .

Don't do it again though , if you let it go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will drag you to AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

lawlolawl wrote: »

I left with a 6 pack of 7UP cans because i just felt like having something other than water to drink this evening :P

I'm still guzzling coke like a demon with lots of meals. No way could I go from wine to water overnight.

But it reminds me of booze in a way, it is of no benefit whatsoever, damn expensive, psychologically addictive, and of course can contribute to health problems such as diabetes.

Will look to try and knock it on the head in the medium term but for now I'm happy to have it as a vice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

tinpib wrote: »
    I'm still guzzling coke like a demon with lots of meals. No way could I go from wine to water overnight.

But it reminds me of booze in a way, it is of no benefit whatsoever, damn expensive, psychologically addictive, and of course can contribute to health problems such as diabetes.

Will look to try and knock it on the head in the medium term but for now I'm happy to have it as a vice!

I normally don't like fizzy drinks at all but i got them today simply because i was going to be off work and at home most of the day for the first time since i quit.

Didn't want to get to around 5 or 6 this evening and start thinking: "You know what, a couple of cans of beer wouldn't be all that bad right now". The fizzy stuff helped with that this evening but i won't be making a habit of it.

Advertisement