Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm trying to convince myself that a single digestif didn't break a 7 month streak I had going. do I have a case?

What Marienbad says!

Had minor relapse myself a few weeks ago. Stupid thing to do and felt like sh1t for a few days after but am trying to see it as another step on the road. a year ago, I'd have been fked for months, pardon my French.

Sometimes it seems as if there is a demon on our shoulder daring us. "Go on, have one. It won't do you any harm."

Well, we know where that leads ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

lawlolawl wrote: »
    . The fizzy stuff helped with that this evening but i won't be making a habit of it.

ANYTHING that helps you to avoid boozeing is good. Well, within reason and using common sense.

Bonniedog wrote: »

Sometimes it seems as if there is a demon on our shoulder daring us. "Go on, have one. It won't do you any harm."

Completely. Good angel/bad angel. Luckily that's only happened me twice this time round in sobriety, but it's unnerving. A battle of wills in your internal monologue. I felt like I was going crazy at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Quick check in, it's been a week since my slip and I'm back on track and feel more positive. A lot of work to do but glad to be back embracing sobriety. Thanks to all who contributed and helped along the way, it really was very helpful and reassuring to know people care and can identify with me. I take a lot from this forum and so glad it exists. On wards and upwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

tinpib wrote: »
    I'm still guzzling coke like a demon with lots of meals. No way could I go from wine to water overnight.

But it reminds me of booze in a way, it is of no benefit whatsoever, damn expensive, psychologically addictive, and of course can contribute to health problems such as diabetes

If it helps you stay off the alcohol then I'd keep with it. But long term I'd find an alternative.

Can't stand fizzy drinks and feel a bit crappy after a night out drinking coke and orange juice. You just can't go wrong with plain old water ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

only day 3 for me but i found a couple of glasses of sparkling water can help and rehydrate to boot. just want to wish everyone on here all the best. WE CAN DO IT

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Day 4 for me since I drank on Sunday. I'm on Antabuse so I absolutely must not drink. Trying to get myself to an AA meeting at least once a day.

One day at a time! :)

Hi all, day 6 for me. happy that i woke up every morning this weekend without a hangover. Usually on this time on a Sunday i would be in a pub, after drinking all day yesterday, since half 10, that's after drinking anything that was in the house. My girlfriend had a few friends over during the week and there is 2/3 btl wine, 1l wkd and 2 lts cider in the fridge and i can guarentee that i would have drank that before i went to the pub today. But no, clean and sober and trying to busy myself a lil bit doing jobs around the house, going to start back getting fit during this week. THankfully work is ok after missing 3 days so thats another worry gone. Onwards and Upwards:):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

Day 46 ...

Longest stint in about 5 years.
    Feeling good today.

One day at a time . Sometimes one hour at a time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Well done Laeot Jupiter and hunter, great work on yourselves. keep it going ...one day one hour at a time.

• Advertisement

Well done Laeot Jupiter and hunter, great work on yourselves. keep it going ...one day one hour at a time.

Cheers, found myself the last few hours joking myself that i could have a few if I stuck to rules such as this and that. Said it to my Partner and she said ok but i knew and so did she that it would be straight back to the same old way. Shes getting ready to go out (meeting a hen party) and i taught great im going to demolish whatever drink is in the house while shes gone, thankfully i caught myself and now i wont let myself have even one lil drop.

A friend of mine wrote this piece, she was a party animal like myself and drank most nights of the week. We spent quite a bit of time together drinking like crazy and taking drugs. Many a bender we went on sometimes for days at a time. Anyway, the happy ending is she hasn't drank or smoked or taken any drugs in over 4 years now.

http://lifeislimitless.com/my-year-without-alcohol-an-honest-account/

For someone like myself who thought or thinks you will be unhappy without alcohol this worth a read, inspiring stuff.

Just read this now. WOW truly inspiring. Fair play to that lady, a true inspiration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Cheers, found myself the last few hours joking myself that i could have a few if I stuck to rules such as this and that. Said it to my Partner and she said ok but i knew and so did she that it would be straight back to the same old way. Shes getting ready to go out (meeting a hen party) and i taught great im going to demolish whatever drink is in the house while shes gone, thankfully i caught myself and now i wont let myself have even one lil drop.

Can you go for a walk or keep your mind occupied until this craving/witching hour goes bye ? Anything at all really, as its when your free a few days that the auld alcohol brain kicks in and tells you your a great lad and one wont do any harm, and you, I and everyone else that knows you know that's not the case.

Can you go for a walk or keep your mind occupied until this craving/witching hour goes bye ? Anything at all really, as its when your free a few days that the auld alcohol brain kicks in and tells you your a great lad and one wont do any harm, and you, I and everyone else that knows you know that's not the case.

Thanks The flying mouse, its passed now thankfully. but scary how a mind works when it comes to do with the sauce

I think this weekend is most I've missed having a drop especially living in Limerick. I'm working nights too which doesn't help and I couldn't go into town.

I usually partake in the Great Limerick Run and the afterparty is probably the best night of the year. The riverfest was a massive success from what I've heard.

But .............. I woke up today and felt/looked really good. One of the first days in a long time that I was really happy and refreshed.

It is a good reminder that life without alcohol can and will be very rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I think this weekend is most I've missed having a drop especially living in Limerick. I'm working nights too which doesn't help and I couldn't go into town.

I usually partake in the Great Limerick Run and the afterparty is probably the best night of the year. The riverfest was a massive success from what I've heard.

But .............. I woke up today and felt/looked really good. One of the first days in a long time that I was really happy and refreshed.

It is a good reminder that life without alcohol can and will be very rewarding.

c'mon Limerick - it can only get better Irish rat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hunter101 wrote: »

As I said before alcoholics have the worst memory. I was about 5 days in after the worst withdrawals I've ever experienced and was feeling ok and thought about drinking.

Well done to everyone and as someone said it might not be a day at a time, it could be minutes.

I was in getting a piercing changed the other day and I've been in a good few times and the piercer said that I was looking well. Benefits of not drinking. Must have looked like Casper the friendly ghost most of the time ha!

Anywho, keep it up, thoughts are with you all!!

84 days....

I'm nearing the end of my twenties, I turn 30 next week and how great would it be to not have alcohol factor into this new decade, the past is the past, how great would it be to have my thirties to myself, without the shame, guilt and fear that alcohol brings me! I'd love to get to know me, discover myself in more detail without the demon drink masking my personality. Oh to be free....

I'm nearing the end of my twenties, I turn 30 next week and how great would it be to not have alcohol factor into this new decade, the past is the past, how great would it be to have my thirties to myself, without the shame, guilt and fear that alcohol brings me! I'd love to get to know me, discover myself in more detail without the demon drink masking my personality. Oh to be free....

enoughalready you can do it. It would be the greatest achievement in the world. YOU CAN DO IT

Thanks Hunter101 - I wasted my twenties being a slave to the demon drink, I refuse to allow it to take over my thirties and beyond. I'm closing the door on that destructive lifestyle and moving on to positive, new beginnings. We are our own worst enemy sometimes, I laugh cause I always say to myself, I have very few enemies, funny how I now see I'm my biggest one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

2 weeks today.

Still a bit tired but i've been working early mornings for a lot of the fortnight and have only had a couple of days off. Pretty much zero cravings for alcohol and i've been around it in shops etc. and not really been tempted at all. Reckon that's because i actually want to give up this time.

Overall, i feel so much better every day that i sort of can't believe it. My general anxiety level is fading away bit by bit. I'm not falling into the trap of simply not giving a **** about anything but rather i'm not sweating the small stuff any more.

I'm getting out of the house every evening for a long walk and the only real negative at this stage is that i am absolutely fiending for sugar so i'm drinking soft drinks for the first time in years. Have to cut down on those :P

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

That's a great goal, enoughalready.

I'm little older than your enoughalready, turned the same age last Oct and havnt touched a drop since. I think the common sense switch kicked in up there when I hit the big 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I'm little older than your enoughalready, turned the same age last Oct and havnt touched a drop since. I think the common sense switch kicked in up there when I hit the big 30!

You're both doing great lads...

Took me another 10 years to find the switch :)

Thanks everyone, I love the comrade here, great to have a space to be 100% open and honest. Hard to find friends that understand, in fact none do but my wall is constantly up and I need to remove a few blocks and let more people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Hi All,

I hope you're well.

I fell off the wagon and have been getting progressively worse. I'm looking to get back on and will be trying to set myself up with a relapse prevention counsellor and some regular support groups this week.

Don't give into the thoughts that this time will be different. It never is :)

Take care
    AST

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hi All,

I hope you're well.

I fell off the wagon and have been getting progressively worse. I'm looking to get back on and will be trying to set myself up with a relapse prevention counsellor and some regular support groups this week.

Don't give into the thoughts that this time will be different. It never is :)

Take care
    AST

You fell off the wagon ast because like myself you are an alcoholic.
    In my own case when I accepted the fact that I was an alcoholic it actually became possible to get sober, if that makes sense. You mention 'looking to get back on' and 'trying to set myself up with a relapse counsellor' Don't get me wrong, do what you feel is correct, but the bottom line is that you getting sober is down to you and you only. IMO you should have a look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are better than this pissey sh1t boozey life style, you are well capable of getting sober.You can start getting sober RIGHT NOW and it doesn't cost anything! Best of luck ast and remember you are doing this for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

You fell off the wagon ast because like myself you are an alcoholic.
    In my own case when I accepted the fact that I was an alcoholic it actually became possible to get sober, if that makes sense. You mention 'looking to get back on' and 'trying to set myself up with a relapse counsellor' Don't get me wrong, do what you feel is correct, but the bottom line is that you getting sober is down to you and you only. IMO you should have a look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are better than this pissey sh1t boozey life style, you are well capable of getting sober.You can start getting sober RIGHT NOW and it doesn't cost anything! Best of luck ast and remember you are doing this for yourself.

Yes, I am definitely an addict. Can be alcohol, benzos, heroin, cocaine or whatever else.
    Thanks for the message....it woke me up more than my morning coffee :)

Take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

53 days ...

Getting used to having a guilt-free and panic-free head in the mornings !

• Advertisement

Finding it very hard to focus the way i was before my holiday. Not a whole pile to show for this weekend. Won't beat myself up about it too much, tomorrow is the start of another week and hopefully things will click into place.

Ironically now I have free time and no excuses I have actually let my running slip.

Anyway, there is a thread over in after hours about the fear. I'm sure we can all relate. I laughed off many days/evenings like that but in recent years the fear/cringing at innocuous things was horrible, getting worse each time as I was getting older/maturing yet still at the same rubbish a 20 yr old would be at.

Certainly glad I'm not dealing with that, I'll take very mild sober restlessness this Sunday night.

Advertisement