Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Bit worried. Joined Slimming World yesterday and was really looking forward to new me. But when I thought of no alcohol I got a bit anxious and today on plan I started to nearly panic. I drink 5 or 6 night's a week, quite a lot of intake sometimes.

Have I a problem?
    Is the panic and anxiousness a withdrawal symptom rather than sign I can't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Bit worried. Joined Slimming World yesterday and was really looking forward to new me. But when I thought of no alcohol I got a bit anxious and today on plan I started to nearly panic. I drink 5 or 6 night's a week, quite a lot of intake sometimes.

Have I a problem?
    Is the panic and anxiousness a withdrawal symptom rather than sign I can't do it.

I don't suffer from anxiety, thankfully. I have read the anxiety thread on here and my heart goes out those people, it sounds horrible.

There are posters here/there that would know more about this.

All I can do is repeat the old saying that if you think you might have a problem with alcohol than you probably do. But you have made the crucial first step off admitting you might have a problem.

And yes, you absolutely can do it and you will be far better off without it, but it does take persistence though.

This thread is a brilliant resource, take a read through it and it will lead you onto other resources. The other threads on the non-drinkers forum are excellent as well.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Have I a problem?

Most likely a sign of withdrawal,do you suffer with anxiety and panic normally?

Most likely a sign of withdrawal,do you suffer with anxiety and panic normally?

Thank you for reply yes I am an anxious person normally, in some ways paranoid. Hope this will improve as I stop drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Thank you for reply yes I am an anxious person normally, in some ways paranoid. Hope this will improve as I stop drinking.

Trust me it will ;) it's gradual though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

It will improve. Exercise will help you greatly :)

Day 8 for me today

I'm starting an outpatient rehab program this week. Complacency has been my undoing and I'm going to work hard on relapse prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Fell off the wagon over the weekend, taught it would be different but was the same old crap. Nerves were so bad yesterday that u took a bit of a panic attack. And nerves so bad tonight that I had to have a few bottles to get to sleep. Such a horrible feeling. Going to stop again, have my birthday next month so that's my first target.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Hunter101 wrote: »
    Fell off the wagon over the weekend, taught it would be different but was the same old crap. Nerves were so bad yesterday that u took a bit of a panic attack. And nerves so bad tonight that I had to have a few bottles to get to sleep. Such a horrible feeling. Going to stop again, have my birthday next month so that's my first target.

Hang in there is all we can say , get back up and fail better as Beckett would say .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Have I a problem?

Any of us who have been drinking a lot will get withdrawals.

You might be better going to see a doctor. I only managed to stay off it when given a short course of Xanax to take the edge off the first week or so. It is not easy.

Like any big thing, you need to plan your stopping.

And just to say, I would not consider myself to be someone with any particular anxiety problems. In fact I would have had had a bit of a condescending attitude to people on medication, even as I was drinking a bottle of vodka and more a day!

Anything that helps get you over the initial hump is worth trying, as it is not a pleasant feeling, god knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hunter101 wrote: »

I take it you did'nt go to the AA meeting that you said you were going to go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Hopefully this slip is just what you needed and it will get better from here on in. Be courageous and strong, all is not lost, I know when I slipped a few weeks ago I was full of remorse, shame and guilt so would listen to positive affirmations on youtube and also Jess Glynn's song 'Don't be so hard on yourself' is surprisingly therapeutic. Good luck on your journey Hunter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

3 weeks today.

Any even slight craving is gone at this stage, i legitimately don't see any reason as to why i would ever drink again. I look back at the times i was drinking/drunk and even the times i thought i was having great fun were either, in actuality, crap and misremembered or would have been better without drink.

I'm just "over" alcohol now. Fleeting thoughts of it aren't even a thing any more.

I just feel so much better in every way and i've somehow managed to lose nearly half a stone :eek: I'm walking about 8k a day but i'm snacking like crazy for some reason. Otherwise, my overall diet has gotten better because i'm actually making decent stuff at this stage instead of just going with what is most convenient because i was too drunk/hungover/tired to be arsed.

Still though, going to take my diet a bit more seriously starting today because i'm rather pleased with the weight loss and i want to keep it going.

Another small one is that the whites of my eyes are white again now. They had been bloodshot pretty much permanently for the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Well done!! One thing I will say is not to get over confident.

I couldn't see a reason why I would drink again after four months but I did! I wasn't thinking about drinking either.

Just keep doing what you are doing that keeps you sober and happy which it sounds like you are :)

lawlolawl wrote: »
    3 weeks today.

Any even slight craving is gone at this stage, i legitimately don't see any reason as to why i would ever drink again. I look back at the times i was drinking/drunk and even the times i thought i was having great fun were either, in actuality, crap and misremembered or would have been better without drink.

I'm just "over" alcohol now. Fleeting thoughts of it aren't even a thing any more.

I just feel so much better in every way and i've somehow managed to lose nearly half a stone :eek: I'm walking about 8k a day but i'm snacking like crazy for some reason. Otherwise, my overall diet has gotten better because i'm actually making decent stuff at this stage instead of just going with what is most convenient because i was too drunk/hungover/tired to be arsed.

Still though, going to take my diet a bit more seriously starting today because i'm rather pleased with the weight loss and i want to keep it going.

Another small one is that the whites of my eyes are white again now. They had been bloodshot pretty much permanently for the past few years.

Well done. You seem to be in a good place and I hope you can keep it up.

However, this is good to remember. I also never thought that I wanted to drink again and was over it but ended up back at square one more than once.

26) Being cocky in early recovery is almost always a sign of impending failure. Being overly confident or even modestly confident is a sign that the person is not yet at their bottom, and cannot possibly go through the massive change that is necessary to stay sober. The sacrifice is too great, and the person has to really be miserable in order to commit to the level of change we are talking about. Being well educated about recovery is not a problem, but being sure of what you know about recovery when you have 30 days sober is a huge warning sign

The above comes from this link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056078583

It is my favourite post here on "Non Drinkers Group"

Always good to hear from you Petes, glad things are going well. Of course I can relate to all this as well, I was definitely over confident in my earlier attempts at sobriety before succumbing to boozeing again, usually through boredom. So it's a good reminder. And to Lawlolawl it shows you that what you are feeling is normal and again probably everyone here can relate to it.

Did 30 minutes study yesterday and had a good feeling of accomplishment. I'm looking forward to getting cracking on it again today. Early days but I hope that I have my focus back. Last Sunday in particular felt like a wasted day, and if I was to have more days like that I would become bored and miserable and would eventually go back drinking. Warning bells go off when I feel like that, I know I have to nip that boredom in the bud. Fingers crossed I've solved that problem again for the coming weeks.

Without sounding too cocky :) I think I can afford to look ahead further into the future and I feel reasonably confident I won't go back drinking, but I need to have my wits about me. I'm abroad so am thankful to be avoiding weddings, birthdays, family occasions etc. I can just focus on doing my own thing without having to answer to anyone, but on the flip side I don't really have the option of AA etc which is why the internet and this forum in particular is a great source of support for me.

Anyway, just wanted to thank asoberthought for the link, I made half-hearted efforts to find that post recently as I wanted to read it properly. I skimmed it before and thought it was brilliant. I have it bookmarked now.

We are all in the same boat :) The smallest things can be the biggest help.

Boredom can be a big trigger for some, it kind of reminds me of what I'd be doing, going for a pint etc.

Thanks tinpib (always have to double check that's the spelling :)). I'm actually doing okay lately. Still get the good and bad days but the bad aren't half as bad as what they used to be.

I have kind of hid myself away a small bit for the minute but that's okay too. Still get to work and exercise that has a social aspect to it too.

Will start thinking of moving from home now in a month or two but no hurry.

Was probably too soon the last time. I don't go to AA any more as it just wasn't for me and still see a counsellor once a week but I think that's coming to a natural end for the minute.

Just over three months since I slipped but maybe I had to, I don't know.

I'll just try and not be cocky or over confident as that's what happened me and which is why I mentioned it in my last post :)

Day three.
    Go me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Day three.
    Go me!

You go girl!

It is surprising how quickly you realise how much better you can feel, so quickly, but be careful.

This is purely just my own view, but if you have been drinking a lot then a visit to a good doctor is worth it.

On the other hand if you are on day three and not have the horrors, then perhaps you don't need to.

good luck!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You go girl!

It is surprising how quickly you realise how much better you can feel, so quickly, but be careful.

This is purely just my own view, but if you have been drinking a lot then a visit to a good doctor is worth it.

On the other hand if you are on day three and not have the horrors, then perhaps you don't need to.

good luck!

I didn't think of the horrors! Yes I am feeling good today. Not yesterday or the day before though. I have the opposite problem to posters above however. I am worrying I won't be able to do it.

• Advertisement

I get a little concerned at times when I hear people refer to 'I had a little slip' or I 'fell off the wagon'

It's like a gentle way of saying that what really happened is that you went and got drunk again. I don't wish to come across too blunt but I would guess that most people on here have serious drink problems and the only realistic way to get your life back is to stop drinking-period.

I get a little concerned at times when I hear people refer to 'I had a little slip' or I 'fell off the wagon'

It's like a gentle way of saying that what really happened is that you went and got drunk again. I don't wish to come across too blunt but I would guess that most people on here have serious drink problems and the only realistic way to get your life back is to stop drinking-period.

That's a ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

lawlolawl wrote: »

Taking care of your diet is definitely something that can keep your mind at bay and away from alcohol. I baked a nice coconut flour banana bread yesterday! It's always nice to try something new every few weeks.

While I'm not totally happy in myself, I'm steadily getting back to where I want to be. I look a lot better which was one of the main reasons for giving it up. But I won't reach up too high on the days I get them when the lows can be very painful. So I hope you bear that in mind as you will have those low days ahead in your battle of alcohol free life :-)

petes wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous comment.

Well Petes you can visit all the doctors, therapists, counsellors in the world. You can find 101 people and circumstances to blame and you can tell yourself that 'ah shur I had alittle slip' but at the end of the day only you or me or anyone else for that matter can stop ourselves drinking. This topic is for people who are serious about stopping and I would never regard anyones comment as being ridiculous as you do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Back after another nasty relapse. I'm really slipping and sliding all over the place. Just out of an AA meeting and taking it one day at a time.

If you don't wish to come across as too blunt, then the best way is not to write your valid point in such a blunt fashion.

Like most things in life it's not what you say but how you say it.

You talk about "most people on here", are you one of those people?

If you are not one of those people then I don't think you should really be giving advice, bluntly or beautifully worded, as you don't fully understand the situation.

If you are one of those people, like I am, then maybe you could talk more about your situation so that we can understand more of where your point comes from.

As a man in his mid/late 30's should I go onto a post natal depression forum and start dispensing advice there?

edit: I saw your reply to Petes, I now understand more of where you are coming from.

edit 2: I see your comment to Hunter101 recently. Again I think you could have perhaps phrased it a little less bluntly?

Day three.
    Go me!

This is the start of a beautiful journey , not without its rough patches mind you , but stay focused and find the programmes and supports that are right for you and the rewards will be beyond your wildest dreams as they say in A.A

Keep in touch - we are all here for you .

People people , lets not fight - OK ?

Well Petes you can visit all the doctors, therapists, counsellors in the world. You can find 101 people and circumstances to blame and you can tell yourself that 'ah shur I had alittle slip' but at the end of the day only you or me or anyone else for that matter can stop ourselves drinking. This topic is for people who are serious about stopping and I would never regard anyones comment as being ridiculous as you do.

I don't blame anyone. I don't tell myself 'I had a little slip', it was the worst thing that could have happened and I hated every minute of it but guess what? I'm an alcoholic, these things happen. If you are so all about aa then you'll not regret the past or wish to shut the door on it...

It's your condescension in every single post in here. It doesn't matter if you're a recovering alcoholic or not, it's what comes through from the tone in your posts, as if you are scorning people.

I won't be replying to anything else you have to say as you are one of the few people I avoid these days.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Back after another nasty relapse. I'm really slipping and sliding all over the place. Just out of an AA meeting and taking it one day at a time.

Hang on in there mate, post more if it helps, can be about anything :)

Advertisement