Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Best of luck!!

Off it 15 days today, still been out in the pub enjoying myself during the football! Alongside a new diet and workout plan I feel fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

rizzee wrote: »
    Best of luck!!

Off it 15 days today, still been out in the pub enjoying myself during the football! Alongside a new diet and workout plan I feel fantastic.

15 days, great stuff. Actually going down to the pub to meet one of the lads and watch the football. Diet coke and a pint of water it is but that's fine by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Xyzforsure

Guys and gals

I am seeking opinions here.

How do I deal with a situation where my partner is constantly trying to provoke a row. She has her own stuff going on and it comes out on me and fecks me up mentally for the day.

I have tried praying for her and biting my lip.

Any suggestions welcome oh she ain't part of the fellowship.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

15 days sober for me. Hope to make it 15 months, then 15 years.

I live in hope. Without hope there's nothing.:)

But - as the AA mantra goes: one day at a time. I only have to stay sober just for today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Xyzforsure wrote: »
    Guys and gals

I am seeking opinions here.

How do I deal with a situation where my partner is constantly trying to provoke a row. She has her own stuff going on and it comes out on me and fecks me up mentally for the day.

I have tried praying for her and biting my lip.

Any suggestions welcome oh she ain't part of the fellowship.

Try the relationship issues forum man. Hope it works out for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

JupiterKid wrote: »

But - as the AA mantra goes: one day at a time. I only have to stay sober just for today!

Great JupiterKid, I hope you are feeling better after two good weeks off the sauce.

I posted this before but will post it again, the reddit stopdrinking page. I find it a great help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/

In particular it might be good for those who prefer not to go to AA or that AA isn't a practical option for.

It is similar to this thread except there are over 40,000 readers on the subreddit so there is a constant stream of new threads to check in on and relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

JupiterKid wrote: »

Welcome back :)

When I returned to AA after my last slip, almost 15 years ago now, I learned that "One Day at a time" refers to how we are to live as sober people. Keeping our minds focused on the 24 hours in front of us, making the most of the gift of another day alive and free, not squandering it trapped in regret over the mistakes of yesterday, nor crippled by fears of tomorrow and what the future may bring.

AA's Big Book, the basic text, says very clearly that if we are alcoholic, if we have the physical allergy as described in "The Dr.'s Opinion"---then total abstinence is the only option.
    http://anonpress.org/bb/docsopin.htm

This is why so many have a hard time with Step One, as I did, because it means admitting and accepting that I can never, ever, safely drink alcohol again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

marienbad wrote: »
    Hi Bonnedog- I am not a joiner either and never have been and at this stage never will be . But I don't class AA in quite the same way - I go when and where I please , strictly observe the anonymity except where I choose to break it and I enjoy the 12th step work of helping others ,sharing, driving to meetings , etc . It was done for me so it is only right the I constantly repay that debt. But it is still only takes a very small part of my time , and a hell of a lot less that I took drinking.

I find that alcoholism is a chronically selfish disease and even in recovery it is so easy to be self-obsessed ( it is for me anyway ) and AA provides the antidote to that , a whole world to be enjoyed and drink simply not a part of it .

It is the contented life that AA gives me and I am and was prepared to do anything to get and hold on to that life . Simple as that .

But it may not be for everyone .

I wanted to applaud when I read this, great stuff Marien, you're an AA member I admire and respect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

tinpib wrote: »
    Great JupiterKid, I hope you are feeling better after two good weeks off the sauce.

I posted this before but will post it again, the reddit stopdrinking page. I find it a great help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking/

In particular it might be good for those who prefer not to go to AA or that AA isn't a practical option for.

It is similar to this thread except there are over 40,000 readers on the subreddit so there is a constant stream of new threads to check in on and relate to.

Worth mentioning they also have an IRC channel for live chat.
    My favourite forum for this topic by a long shot.

61 days for me without drink or drugs.

Enjoying the process. Attending NA twice a week and a counsellor once per month. There are bad days but that's reality and I choose not to deal with it in a negative way.

I've got to work on self acceptance and to stop being so hArd on myself. Dropping one negative habit at a time is my goal. Monster energy or cigarettes are next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I wanted to applaud when I read this, great stuff Marien, you're an AA member I admire and respect :)

Thank you Amazingfun - you are making it hard for me to stay humble :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

108 days now ....

The devil still pops his head up at some stage every day for differing lengths of time...

The devil is beatable though.

Keep strong my friends ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Well done everyone. There's mighty progress being made here...keep up the great work

Laeot wrote: »
    108 days now ....

The devil still pops his head up at some stage every day for differing lengths of time...

The devil is beatable though.

Keep strong my friends ...

Outstanding Laeot - halfway through your fourth month now - serious time . Keep it up my friend ,we are here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Got up at 6 this morning and went for my first run in years. Only ran for 13 minutes and feeling the effects now.

Beats getting up at 6 to start drinking so I would be able to function at all!

So, to anyone in the early days of stopping, stick with it. It is difficult at first, and don't be afraid to seek help to get over the initial tough days - and they are tough - but it is worth it.

I got my first sponsor today will be beginning the steps soon.

I'm going to make a go at quitting smoking today too. My addict brain switched over to that in recent times despite avoiding cigarettes for 30 years. If it's not one thing, it seems to be another.

Survived a wedding yesterday without having a drop. Drank coffee and had a few bottles of Erdinger 0% which I found quite nice. Can't say it bothered me too much. My friend's were all completely sound about it, there was no 'sure have one', to their credit. I felt in control all night. Watched a few people overdo it and was thinking 'that's not me tonight'.

I drove and dropped a couple of my friends home. Saved a lot of money too and despite being a little tired today (late night) my head is completely clear without and chemical induced depression. Roll on next weekend!

I was trying to get into a weights/cardio routine recently. Then I got a wee headcold which knocked me out of my stride. This morning was the first run I had in 4 weeks or so.

It's incredible the difference it made. It's almost scary in fact. I was drifting towards being stuck in a rut, feelings of boredom and negativity were getting stronger and more prolonged. A slippery slope.

I hope that today has spurred me on. Exercise is essential for me, it's not a happy bonus of sobriety. Tomorrow is a weights day and I already know exactly when I will be doing my work out.

Running used to be my life line, so was delighted to get back into it. Still stiff yesterday and today but hope to get out early tomorrow before I head off to town. It is amazing how good it makes you feel, and is great incentive to stay sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Start and finish the say with 20 push ups, sometimes only 15,depends how many I can do, tiredness etc. part of the routine now. Badminton Monday and Wednesday nights, good two to three hours. I enjoy it and look forward to it but it is necessary.

For those giving up or struggling it can give a release (endorphins and serotonin I think) so you will feel better after. Also helps to keep your mind on other things.

Over a week now since I started anti ds, no side effects at all, they take a while to kick in so on Xanax too. Feel pretty good but there is always a small thought about drinking that creeps in, it's gone as quick but still there. Also general life **** that I seem to cope okay with, bit lonely but not that much.

Keep plugging away everyone and do whatever it takes 'you' to keep going :)

• Advertisement

For what feels like only the 3rd time this year and the first time since mid-Feb I thought about drinking. I wasted the morning, was pissed off with myself and very bored. At the moment I can't find anything to get excited about and to get my teeth into.

It wasn't the full-on good angel/bad angel battle of wills in my mind but I did briefly weigh it up but then I 'played the tape to the end' and knew it was not worth it.

In the end at 1:30pm, after much procrastinating, I did weights and I ended up surprising myself in that without thinking about it I pushed myself for the first time. By the end I was pouring sweat as if I had gone for a run. I've never gotten to that stage doing weights before as I'm a bit of a weights newbie. I think I've finished week 5 or 6 of doing weights but missed around 10 days/2 weeks in the middle of that due to a headcold.

Then of course after a shower I felt like a different person. Endorphins rushing around, negativity gone and I actually felt like doing stuff.

I will go for a run in the morning and looking forward to UFC in a few hours tonight. But how I felt earlier is a mild cause for concern. I hope I can get myself fired up about something. But as I posted earlier this week, good exercise is a huge part in keeping my head straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

116 days ....
    Sometimes it feels like my past drinking days were a different life led by someone else. Strange.

Keep well all ....

My 40-year-old flatmate lost his phone while out boozeing last night. I think I might hold the national record for losing phones while drinking. In fact my 3 previous attempts at quitting permanently were spurred on by the extreme self loathing at losing yet another phone.

Sure glad I'm not dealing with what he is dealing with today.

Second weekend just about done and dusted. I kept it busy. Went for a long run on Saturday morning and then went into the Mayo game, (usually would have a few pints before/after but was happy to take it all in without any drink, enjoyed the atmosphere far more) and had a chinese later in the evening. Went into a friend's party at about 10pm, was home for 1.30am, no bother at all. Felt completely comfortable in the pub without any drink.
    Today I chilled out and hit the gym in the afternoon. I was wrecked afterwards, the sauna tires you out in a good way. Just sitting down to watch UFC 200 now and I'm off work tomorrow. All is good. No fear, no depression, no wasted cash. Just time well spent with friend's and family without any bull****. Looking forward to another sober weekend already!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Day 1
    It's not going to be a permanent thing for me.. going to aim for 30 days of detox and exercise.

Just got banned from GAA site so just about had enough of being lectured by idiots! that's you Rebel Girl.

So be leaving boards.ie.

This forum has been lifeline for me over past two years. So best of luck to you all. It is heavy cross we bear. Doing okay at the moment and will miss dipping in and out.

Keep the faith people!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just got banned from GAA site so just about had enough of being lectured by idiots! that's you Rebel Girl.

So be leaving boards.ie.

This forum has been lifeline for me over past two years. So best of luck to you all. It is heavy cross we bear. Doing okay at the moment and will miss dipping in and out.

Keep the faith people!

Why not hang around Bonniedog if you find the forum valuable , we need as many diverse contributions as possible to make it as good as it can be.

At this stage I contribute to very few threads because after a while we have all said what we can say and it is just repetition thereafter.

But this thread is different - we seem to let our egos at the door and just help each other get through the day - pity to let that camaraderie go .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Bonniedog, boards.ie is littered with trolls that have nothing else to do, the thread however is very real. I would keep my account open just to be in touch here from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hi all,has anybody got advice for attending AA meetings,I would prefer if there was someone to come with me but I don't want to ask family members because of shame,ideally the Navan area suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

candycock wrote: »
    Hi all,has anybody got advice for attending AA meetings,I would prefer if there was someone to come with me but I don't want to ask family members because of shame,ideally the Navan area suits.

You'll get a list of local meetings on the AA website.

Plan to arrive there half an hour early and leave half an hour late ... there are always plenty of people who hang around for tea/coffee before and after.

Don't be put off if you happen to see someone you know there - as I always say, I'd feel a lot more shame if I was seen coming out of an off-licence than an AA meeting! :) Everyone is there for the same reason as you.

Every meeting is different - if the first one doesn't suit you, keep trying and trying different local ones until you find one that clicks. I think there might be Lifering in Navan too, if you wanted to give that a go.

Feel free to speak if you want to, but many people just listen for their first few meetings. Whatever you're comfortable with!

Ideally don't bother with the Steps/Traditions meetings just for now, they can be a bit full on for beginners! And don't be overwhelmed with all the talk of Steps etc, that'll start to make sense in time. Or some people never bother with them at all.

Most of all keep an open mind, and enjoy! :)

Advertisement