Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

You'll get a list of local meetings on the AA website.

Plan to arrive there half an hour early and leave half an hour late ... there are always plenty of people who hang around for tea/coffee before and after.

Don't be put off if you happen to see someone you know there - as I always say, I'd feel a lot more shame if I was seen coming out of an off-licence than an AA meeting! :) Everyone is there for the same reason as you.

Every meeting is different - if the first one doesn't suit you, keep trying and trying different local ones until you find one that clicks. I think there might be Lifering in Navan too, if you wanted to give that a go.

Feel free to speak if you want to, but many people just listen for their first few meetings. Whatever you're comfortable with!

Ideally don't bother with the Steps/Traditions meetings just for now, they can be a bit full on for beginners! And don't be overwhelmed with all the talk of Steps etc, that'll start to make sense in time. Or some people never bother with them at all.

Most of all keep an open mind, and enjoy! :)

Wat is life ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

candycock wrote: »
    Wat is life ring?

http://www.dublinlifering.com/

Basically a non-religious alternative to AA meetings.

Some people love it, others not so much. It's quite a different philosophy to AA. Basically about empowering your sober self versus your addicted self. The distinction works well for me, they have an excellent workbook available to buy at the meetings.

The thing is ... some people find AA and Lifering compatible. I don't, really. Also there's far fewer meetings (I think just the one a week in Navan.)

I'd still definitely give it a go, try out at least one meeting and see if it's a good fit for you. And the workbook is well worth buying, even if you don't stick with the Lifering meetings.

Personally I find Lifering works best for me when I'm very strong and well mentally and emotionally, and in good solid recovery. To get me there, I think AA works better. Sometimes if you're in a dark place, Lifering can be just that bit TOO positive and optimistic! :o

By the way, you're more likely to be asked if you want to speak at a Lifering meeting, they often go round each person in turn. If you don't want to speak, just ask the facilitator at the beginning of the group and they won't call on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

candycock wrote: »
    Hi all,has anybody got advice for attending AA meetings,I would prefer if there was someone to come with me but I don't want to ask family members because of shame,ideally the Navan area suits.

This may sound funny, but the best advice is: JUST GO!

Believe me, if you tell people you are new when you get in there (the secretary will usually ask if there is anyone new) people will be more than happy to welcome you :)

Find a meeting here: http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/Information-on-AA/Find-a-Meeting

AA has worked for me for 15 years now, when absolutely nothing else did--and I tried it ALL.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

30 days tomorrow. Feel fantastic back fit and really notice the difference. Can still go out and enjoy myself. New job, new misses and new car, It's been a great month! Going to have a couple on Saturday night in a mates house to celebrate the job and enjoy myself. Then after that cut down big time ( every 2nd or 3rd week ) and see how things go. I've proved to myself I can do it and it's a lot better without it. Everything in moderation though!! Thanks for all the advice and best of luck to everyone on their journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

3 months - love to see the months build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Rizee, I think I am the same as you, just need to cut it right back, do not think I want to cut it right out, not really sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi Rizee, I think I am the same as you, just need to cut it right back, do not think I want to cut it right out, not really sure though.

I needed a break after the euros was more a detox to be honest and I don't time ember the last time I took a few days off it! Good luck with it , definitely worth cutting back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

120 days .

Groovy !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Laeot wrote: »
    120 days .

Groovy !

Outstanding Laeot - see how time flies when you are having fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

160 days. Some highs, some lows as most of you know. Feel good, was at badminton all day yesterday in Dublin. Really is about keeping active. I've two weeks off coming up so will be a chall to keep busy but I'm also looking for a place to move in to but no hurry.

Did a small nixer the other day and as well as getting paid was also given two nice bottles of wine. Was on my way to badminton so was carrying them around and thought about them and not a notion was in my head to drink, good feeling that. Also put in a press at home, no longer need to pour it down the sink and remove temptation, it's not there, for the minute anyway, will probably give them away as presents.

Not sure how the meds are working or if they are but I'll persevere for a while anyway.

Lazy day today, might watch a film or play a bit of ps4!

Hope all well and keeping up the good fight :)

• Advertisement

Hi Petes, what are the meds ?

Hi Petes, what are the meds ?

Anti depressants and Xanax. Slowly coming off the Xanax though :)

I am of Effexor, what AD are you on.....Xanax is like Valium right ?

I am of Effexor, what AD are you on.....Xanax is like Valium right ?

Escitalopram (Lexapro would be a brand), Xanax is like Valium except it's faster acting and doesn't last as long, both benzos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Day 22

Another weekend done. Can't say it was much of a struggle but going for a pint on Saturday night did cross my mind but that's just a little complacency creeping in because I feel good.
    Overall, I enjoyed the weekend and I can't state enough how great it felt to wake up with a clear head this morning. That's something you shouldn't take for granted. When I think of going for a pint, I just remember how it feels to be hungover and how many days it takes to get back to 'normal'. Not to mention the cash you spend, the ****e you talk, how it affects your performance in work, fitness,general health and your relationships with those around you. All of those factors put together don't exactly make me want to experience being drunk again for a long time, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

I can't state enough how great it felt to wake up with a clear head this morning.

Day 200 today :) Don't really keep track of my days, so nice to see this total today.

The novelty of waking up with a clear head each and every day still has not worn off which is a pleasant surprise to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

hi all hope you are all doing well, haven't been around much these times as I caught up in a lot of personnel/work ****.In fact heavy enough issues, As some of you might know I am 7,1/2 years clean, Still have no inclination or temptation to drink but, I find I still missing something, So today I went to a AA meeting and have now decided to do the 12 steps programme, I have never honestly had a one to one re myself,f actually I thought I was above it, but I not, and now is the time for me to nail this ****er once and for all. thanks.

hi all hope you are all doing well, haven't been around much these times as I caught up in a lot of personnel/work ****.In fact heavy enough issues, As some of you might know I am 7,1/2 years clean, Still have no inclination or temptation to drink but, I find I still missing something, So today I went to a AA meeting and have now decided to do the 12 steps programme, I have never honestly had a one to one re myself,f actually I thought I was above it, but I not, and now is the time for me to nail this ****er once and for all. thanks.

Good luck with the 12 steps , something I never regretted doing and really is the foundation of my sobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

marienbad wrote: »
    Good luck with the 12 steps , something I never regretted doing and really is the foundation of my sobriety.

Never did the steps myself although I did attend the AA meetings and they are the reason I haven't drank in a long time. I just felt not drinking was really all I wished to achieve and didn't need to become ultra sober and going around making amends.

Never did the steps myself although I did attend the AA meetings and they are the reason I haven't drank in a long time. I just felt not drinking was really all I wished to achieve and didn't need to become ultra sober and going around making amends.

A bit more to the 12 steps than just making amends Dan , though that is an important part of it ,

Making amends in its own right though is an incredibly liberating experience , really draws a line . At least that is how I found it .

But what ever works for each of us is probably the way to go .

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    A bit more to the 12 steps than just making amends Dan , though that is an important part of it ,

Making amends in its own right though is an incredibly liberating experience , really draws a line . At least that is how I found it .

But what ever works for each of us is probably the way to go .

Absolutely Marien, not drinking and getting out of the misery I was in was liberating enough for me. The only reason I mentioned the steps was that I know of people who felt overwhelmed and pressurised by some who felt their way was the only way.

I think that's the crux of the thing. Whatever works for the individual. That said if anyone approached me and asked me I would suggest aa. Might not have been for me but it can be for someone else. Great starting point anyway to realise you aren't alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Delighted for you Mouse. Takes a big man to admit you once thought yourself "above" it :)

I love this way of life. I found the difference between sitting in meetings talking about the program and then actually taking the action in my own life to be akin to night and day: no comparison. But I could never really know what it was like until I had my own experience--and like Marion said, it truly changed my whole world.
    Stopping drinking was only the beginning of the adventure, and I am forever grateful to those who carried the message to me. And even though I dreaded the thought of amends when I was in Step One, by the time I reached the 8t and 9th steps I truly was "amazed". I think my fav meetings today are where people share their amends experiences, I could go on for days at how taking actions I really didn't want to take at time resulted in me seeing the world a whole new way. And it's been working now for just under 15 years. Powerful stuff.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey!

The most important thing mouse is that you are not drinking. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do and remember that no genuine AA member will make a judgement on you one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions folks,There great to read, all of them.hope you all keeping well :-)

Absolutely Marien, not drinking and getting out of the misery I was in was liberating enough for me. The only reason I mentioned the steps was that I know of people who felt overwhelmed and pressurised by some who felt their way was the only way.

Fully understand what you are saying Dan , for me the only way is everything in its own time . In fact the only step I was capable of taking for a long long time was the first step .

As for those who advocate their way and only their way - we meet them everywhere - the trick is to recognise the practitioners from the preachers .

And for me they are easy to spot , we must always remember it is attraction and not coercion .

I better stop there as I seem to be getting a bit preachy myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate if we could keep the focus of this thread on recovery support, advice and discussion that is applicable to all approaches.

If it becomes too specific to particular recovery methods then we'll end up with multiple parallel conversations happening, which will make the thread less useful to the broader community.

Thanks so much! You're all awesome!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

9 months have passed since I've had a drop. Its been a stressful few weeks with house buying but thankfully I'm still sober!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Roughly this time last year I went on holiday, I was sober from mid Feb to late June so was drinking on this holiday. For the last few weeks of work I was burnt out, hadn't had a break in ages, I actually used to get a pain in my head from concentrating.

A few days break and I was right as rain again completely rejuvenated and booked another holiday for Christmas.

Same thing, for the last 3 weeks before the holiday I was burnt out and was just dying to be finished work.

On that holiday I had a long drawn ephipany and decided to rationally quit drinking rather than quit drinking due to some catastrophic night out/hangover/lost phone etc.

So thinking that the pattern of before was normal life and the same for everyone I booked a holiday for early April this year. I really didn't need it but used it as a reward to get a project done while sober.

Again, thinking I would be burnt out as I always get from the routine of work and 'unwinding' at the weekend I booked another holiday for mid August.

Honestly if I could I would cancel it. I have absolutely zero need for a holiday. It more feels like a chore and that is an awful thing to say as this is a 'once-in-a-lifetime' holiday.

I'm almost 7 months sober and I'm refreshed and relaxed everyday. I'm no longer burnt out from work. I don't get pains in my head from concentrating when I'm still recovering from 'a few relaxing drinks' at the weekend.

I think this will be my last holiday for a long time. I thought that feeling of cumulative exhaustion was 'normal' and in many ways I guess it was because when you mention it to people back home most people agree because most of my friends/colleagues/peers would be social/heavy drinkers too.

Now I'm happy to take on extra work and save hard. I'm fairly content going to work refreshed every Monday. It's not a bad way to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's two weeks today that I have been off the drink, and I can't believe how much better I feel being off it. I was a chronic alcoholic for the past 31 years and my liver coiled up 2 weeks ago and I got cirrhoses of the liver and went yellow. I'm sitting here now and cannot figure out why I wasted my whole life drinking and waking up in agony every day.

Well, two weeks off it so far and will never be going back on it again, feel way better off it. I just have to watch christmas though, I cannot allow myself to get the cravings. What a waste of a life all over drink, it's crazy when you look back at how addicted you can get.

A wakeup call to start a new life.

Advertisement