Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Played and been involved all my life.

Seriously, I can go months without even thinking about a gargle. Match days are a switch. Start of horrible binges years ago so always war, and to be honest would have loved to have a pint in gills.

It is only the knowing of hwat Bonne is going to be next day and for next weeks stops me,

It is a fkn curse my chums.

I hear ya, the good weather and atmosphere was the ideal place for a few pints yesterday. Was inside The Big Tree for a short while, say no more. Sunk a few non-alcoholics somewhere quieter with friends and didn't mind. Had a coffee inside CP and tbh, I would have been the same way watching the game sober or with a few inside me, I could just make sense of it more. You have to remember too that alcohol isn't a magic potion that makes everything better. If anyone saw me when the whistle went, they'd say I was drunk for sure :D Still had a great day (thanks Mayo).

It's all an adjustment but what you wrote in bold is the reason why you change, sacrificing a few hours of drinking is the better option, hard to argue the logic when it's that obvious and I'm just coping onto it now.

I was wrecked today, but my god was I thankful I didn't have a hangover on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I hear ya, the good weather and atmosphere was the ideal place for a few pints yesterday. Was inside The Big Tree for a short while, say no more. Sunk a few non-alcoholics somewhere quieter with friends and didn't mind. Had a coffee inside CP and tbh, I would have been the same way watching the game sober or with a few inside me, I could just make sense of it more. You have to remember too that alcohol isn't a magic potion that makes everything better. If anyone saw me when the whistle went, they'd say I was drunk for sure :D Still had a great day (thanks Mayo).

It's all an adjustment but what you wrote in bold is the reason why you change, sacrificing a few hours of drinking is the better option, hard to argue the logic when it's that obvious and I'm just coping onto it now.

I was wrecked today, but my god was I thankful I didn't have a hangover on top of it.

Just finished watching game again.

Look, I've posted this before, but nearly fkn killed myself after we got beaten in 2014. Spent six months in hell after.

No intentions of ever going back, but still recall the attraction of it. Even today.

Good luck my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Bonniedog wrote: »
    another ban from GAA forum!

Not exactly sure for what but I suppose Meath and Cork people need to occupy themselves in some fashion now that they are sh!t at everything.

Back in the real world. survived the game but there is definitely something missing when you are not lowering the pints.

You must be rattling a few cages in the GAA forum Bonnie, I know from experience that they are a fairly sensitive lot over there. The vast majority that you saw 'lowering pints' yesterday had a good day and are fairly OK this morning. The remainder like yourself and myself are sickish and will be heading for a cure before too long. Keep it up Bonnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You must be rattling a few cages in the GAA forum Bonnie, I know from experience that they are a fairly sensitive lot over there. The vast majority that you saw 'lowering pints' yesterday had a good day and are fairly OK this morning. The remainder like yourself and myself are sickish and will be heading for a cure before too long. Keep it up Bonnie.

Bans for literally no reason that I can make out!

Anyway, that is besides the point. This forum serves a higher purpose.

Yeah, nice not to be waking with the need to have a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Not in a great spot at the moment. A very heavy Friday session that lead to an agressive (me being the agressor) and running my mouth early in the morning to people who ive probably genuinely upset. All day drinking, didn't think i was as bad as i was.

Pure ashamed of myself now. Had a pint watching the game on Saturday to take the edge off. But feel i think i really need to knock it on the head for a while which is frightening as feck.
    Didnt drink sunday and today , want to get to the end of the week now sober :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

drydub wrote: »
    Not in a great spot at the moment. A very heavy Friday session that lead to an agressive (me being the agressor) and running my mouth early in the morning to people who ive probably genuinely upset. All day drinking, didn't think i was as bad as i was.

Pure ashamed of myself now. Had a pint watching the game on Saturday to take the edge off. But feel i think i really need to knock it on the head for a while which is frightening as feck.

Realizing you have a problem is an essential first step . Now the journey begins , if we can be of help we are here for you.

marienbad wrote: »
    Realizing you have a problem is an essential first step . Now the journey begins , if we can be of help we are here for you.

Thanks. I've knocked drink on the head before for up to 7 or 8 weeks. Its just terrifying from the start.
    I know im in the fear and shame stage, i just want to have a clear head. Try make things right with people i've wronged and give my body a break from alcohol.

I know i treated it as one day at a time before, its the only way, no quick fixes.

Been having really dark thoughts though. Just need to get through this

Thanks. I've knocked drink on the head before for up to 7 or 8 weeks. Its just terrifying from the start.
    I know im in the fear and shame stage, i just want to have a clear head. Try make things right with people i've wronged and give my body a break from alcohol.

I know i treated it as one day at a time before, its the only way, no quick fixes.

Don't do it alone , get help , friends family GP whatever it takes .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You will and the fact that you're taking positive steps will help with that.

Can I suggest though that you write yourself a note describing how **** you feel right now. It doesn't have to be an essay but it can be brutally honest. Then fold it up, stick it in your wallet and forget about it..

You may find it useful to go back and read sometime in the future If a drink ever starts to look like a good idea, just play it forward and read the note.

It's something I've found useful but you don't want too many opportunities to write it if you know what I mean..

Anyway, hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I think this forum is brilliant. I hope you all get where you need to go.

• Advertisement

That's what I'll do. I'll write a note while I still feel like this.
    I've already cancelled future nights out in the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hi Drydub.

A slightly enhanced version of the note you are making is called 'CBS Worksheet' here along with a bunch of other resources:

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/toolchest.htm

I find the stopdrinking subreddit to be excellent, a support group in your pocket, as they say:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopdrinking

Remember to 'play the tape forward' next time you are tempted.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Hi drydub I suppose me and quite a few others here have written or had thoughts exactly as your having right now, That's what makes this addiction/problem/disease or what ever you want to call it so baffling.

We go out with the best intentions, end up causing distress all around to people we really care about, Then we feel all guilty and remorseful and ashamed, promising all including ourselves that next time it be different.

You stop drinking for a while, everyone's happy ,you feel great, you feel so great that you convince yourself that sure the alcohol isn't the problem, sure I can control it now,all is good ,until you take that drink again.

Watch as the people that really care about you as there faces drop when you have that one, as they know as you know that soon it be back to the guilt ,remorsefulness, distress and the promises.

Around and around we all go until we decide to step of the alcohol roundabout, Keep posting drydub we can all relate to what your going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

183 days. Got a job promotion yesterday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

petes wrote: »

Brilliant Petes, delighted to hear that. Without going in to too much detail can you tell us more? How much of this is due to sobriety? A lot I would gather. I'm far better at work with a clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can't go in to too much detail anyway :) I have always been good at my job but was very unreliable. Most of the time at work I was probably dying with a hangover or waiting until lunchtime to go for a drink and then more that evening. Still wasn't working at full capacity and didn't really care either. Owe a lot to sobriety. The clear head, able to focus better etc.

Slight thought came in to my head yesterday 'Where would I be now if I never drank', but I quickly stopped that thought in it's tracks. What's done is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

petes wrote: »

Will we go for one!
    Only kidding obviously before anyone starts sending me PM's.
    Well done keep it up.

Today I wrote down some of the awful things I said last Friday.
    I wrote down my goal of not drinking for a month and see how I go.

I've let myself get unhealthy and out of shape and I want to remedy that.

I bought 20 Litres of sparkling water and some miwadi for the house and threw out the beer I had left over.
    I've already had a text from 2friends asking me why I'm not drinking at a meal this weekend and that I should. I understand that's what we drinkers do. Feel uncomfortable with non drinkers.
    I'll be happy if I post here on Friday saying I'm driving to dinner.

Today I wrote down some of the awful things I said last Friday.
    I wrote down my goal of not drinking for a month and see how I go.

I've let myself get unhealthy and out of shape and I want to remedy that.

I bought 20 Litres of sparkling water and some miwadi for the house and threw out the beer I had left over.
    I've already had a text from 2friends asking me why I'm not drinking at a meal this weekend and that I should. I understand that's what we drinkers do. Feel uncomfortable with non drinkers.
    I'll be happy if I post here on Friday saying I'm driving to dinner.

Well done dry dub in taking them first steps in getting yourself back together, IMO having a plan to work for is a must, re the meal, do you really have to go ? While your two friends might have the best of intentions normal drinkers just don't understand what we problem drinkers go through ,they never will .Go to the cinema ,or go for a long walk instead you won't be missing anything new. why put yourself through somewhere your not to comfortable being at ,it also makes a huge statement of intent to yourself and others, especially to the ones that really care.

Tea, water and feet up. Am confident now about making it the week.
    I'm sorry now if I'm clogging this thread up. Just want to log progress and about where and what I'm feeling as I go.

• Advertisement

Well done dry dub in taking them first steps in getting yourself back together, IMO having a plan to work for is a must, re the meal, do you really have to go ? While your two friends might have the best of intentions normal drinkers just don't understand what we problem drinkers go through ,they never will .Go to the cinema ,or go for a long walk instead you won't be missing anything new. why put yourself through somewhere your not to comfortable being at ,it also makes a huge statement of intent to yourself and others, especially to the ones that really care.

I had thought about it. It's one person I rarely see and one I occasionally see.
    I'm happy enough to catch up knowing I've driven and have to drive the car.
    I've already thought ahead to next week about plans such as cinema etc. I'm confident I can make it through Friday night in a restaurant scenario with the car outside.

I'm sorry now if I'm clogging this thread up. Just want to log progress and about where and what I'm feeling as I go.

Clog up the thread all you like , that is why we are here - to help each other get through the day alcohol free

Its great reading your posts and everyone else's here, It gives me more encouragement and support in my own battles,Its nice to know we are not alone..keep posting everyone let it rip.... :pac::D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Day 2 again. Good day yesterday, feeling good and positive today. I just can't keep hammering my body like I have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Well last weekend didn't go as planned, I held out until 9.30 pm on the Friday and I caved and ended up drinking Friday, Saturday and a few on Sunday also. Felt absolutely ****e on Monday and Tuesday because of it.

I wrote down how bad I felt on Monday in the hope that reading it will help me avoid drinking again.

Friday is always my weak day so I'll see how I manage tomorrow. I actually have a good feeling I will abstain this weekend!!

3 weeks today since I last had a drink, I was very nearly out the door to the pub today but held out and glad I did..

Feet up. And working this evening so all good.
    All about tomorrow evening but closer I am the better I feel about it.

Up bright and early today, stayed strong last night. Few comments off them but we ended up talking about hangovers when one of them was telling me he gets it bad too and I just said, thats why I'm not drinking and explained a bit more and that was that really. Stayed out till midnight and then dropped one person home.
    Tired but hangover free and happy

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

was the person you dropped home very drunk ?

• Advertisement

was the person you dropped home very drunk ?

Drunk but not very. I think at the time they called it a night would have been the time where if all 3 had been drinking we would have pushed on to another bar another round and would have been out all night.
    Few comments about how civilized it all was but glad I actually explained to them why I wasn't drinking and didn't have to make up lies.

Fresh weekend ahead now already been out and about and enjoyed the morning.
    On to the next day. The next challenge. I wake up tomorrow fresh headed and it will have been a week :)

I'm going to remind myself about how bad I felt last Saturday later on just to keep it in my head.

Advertisement